• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Down Under - Stage 3: Unley to Stirling, 129km

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thursday 20 January 2011

Start Time: 11am (King William Road, Unley)

Skoda King of the Mountain: Germantown Hill

Jayco Sprint Locations: McLaren Flat and Echunga

Feed Station: Stirling Oval

Finish Time: 2.34pm

TDU11_PROFILE_stage3_FINAL.jpg

tdu-stage3.PNG

UPDATE:STAGE 3 PREVIEW

Weather: 36oC

Past Winners
2010: Manuel Cardoso
2009: Allan Davis

They should go around the Stirling loop a couple more times to rule out more of the sprinters.

Goss, Davis, Henderson or Matthews for the win. What about Robbie? Very similar finish to his ENECO win.

Once again the 3km profile is stupid due to the Y-axis values. We know its an uphill final and the profile looks like 80m or so over the last 1.75km but impossible to get anything accurate.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
It's strange how the last 3km profile never seems to fit the stage profile... (3the day on a row)

edit: the Y-axis thing Ferminal says does make some sens :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
They should go around the Stirling loop a couple more times to rule out more of the sprinters.

Goss, Davis, Henderson or Matthews for the win. What about Robbie? Very similar finish to his ENECO win.

Once again the 3km profile is stupid due to the Y-axis values. We know its an uphill final and the profile looks like 80m or so over the last 1.75km but impossible to get anything accurate.

This will be too hard for mcewen. ballan or Goss and maybe Davis will win.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Everyone, it is going to be very hot tommorow. 36oC. I think we should expect a small group to come to the finish. I think ballan is a good pick. Robbie, Greipel and others won't be up there imo. Goss or ballan for me.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Everyone, it is going to be very hot tommorow. 36oC. I think we should expect a small group to come to the finish. I think ballan is a good pick. Robbie, Greipel and others won't be up there imo. Goss or ballan for me.

Are you crazy? If it's as hot as you say they'll just soft-pedal even more than they would have anyway and it'll still be a bunch sprint.

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
BTW, Insteading of making a small thread for this.

Who are the Australian team? Students? I noticed a Scott bike that Pegasus would have used.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Not sure why Ballan is so widely tipped, I doubt he is the sort to go for this type of stage so early in the season.

flatclimb said:
Who are the Australian team? Students? I noticed a Scott bike that Pegasus would have used.

Students? Hell no.

UNISA are a team made up of Aussies whose teams arent in the TDU, like Wes Sulzberger of FDJ, Mitch Docker of Skil - and have helped out a couple of would-be Pegasus riders also, like Berny Sulzberger and Luke Roberts.

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Sum_of_Marc said:
Not sure why Ballan is so widely tipped, I doubt he is the sort to go for this type of stage so early in the season.

Students? Hell no.

UNISA are a team made up of Aussies whose teams arent in the TDU, like Wes Sulzberger of FDJ, Mitch Docker of Skil - and have helped out a couple of would-be Pegasus riders also, like Berny Sulzberger and Luke Roberts.

I see, I just saw the sponsor on the back of the jersey. Nice to know.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Are you crazy? If it's as hot as you say they'll just soft-pedal even more than they would have anyway and it'll still be a bunch sprint.

We'll see. This stage is always attacking. We also have to think that it is one of the first times they will be riding through hills at race pace this year, many riders are sore from crashes and it will be very very hot at 36oC for the riders.

About Ballan, here's what he said the other day about particualr stages including this one.

"For the next stages, I hope I will be at the front at the end because from the profile of those stages, they're quite good for me.”

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I put the preview in on the topic post (#1) so people can look at the preview of the stage.

btw, Sutton & B Sulzberger aren't, Cav is 50/50 i think on starting but meyer will as it was suspected that Cam had a broken collar bone.