• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Down Under - Stage 4: Norwood - Strathalbyn, 124km

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tour Down Under - Stage 4: Norwood - Strathalbyn, 124km

Friday 21 January 2011

Start Time: 11am (The Parade, Norwood)

Skoda King of the Mountain: Checker Hill Road, Kersbrook

Jayco Sprint Locations: Main Street, Gumeracha and Onkaparinga Valley Road, near Balhannah

Feed Station: Macclesfield

Finish Time: 2.28pm

TDU11_PROFILE_MCstage4_FINAL.jpg

tdu-stage4.PNG

Preview of Stage 4

Weather: 34oC - going to be hot again.

When they enter Strathalbyn, its a left turn on to West Terrace for 400 metres, right on to North Parade for 100 metres, then right onto the finish straight which is Commercial Road which is 500 metres straight and if anything is downhill.

As in previous years, this will be a bunch finish, will we see another head butting incident like 2008.

Regards

Hugh

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Cant see anything other than a bunch finish for this stage. Griepel should be right up there but i cant go past goss, hes in great form and got the best lead out train in the business!!!

Graeme Brown's preview:
It's a nice hard start to the race going through the Gorge. Any Australian has probably ridden through the Gorge about a billion times. Stuart O'Grady's bike just rides through there by itself. Checker Hill is hard and it's quite steep, although it's less than a kilometre. It's hard to go up the hill – the road is dead straight but it's all about being in the right position with two kilometres to go because you turn onto a smaller road. It's more of a Belgian Classics style of ride.

If you're at the front it's a piece of cake. If there's one lesson I've learnt for this stage it's not to ride on Lance Armstrong's wheel like I did last year because you get hit by hands all the time going ‘There he is! There he is!'...

It will be a bunch sprint again but it will hurt. Sprinters that don't have top form or don't climb quite as well are going to struggle because it's just up and down all day.

The last 600m could be affected by cross winds. 1150m you turn left, 800m you turn right. At 640m it's a straight line to the finish. In a blink of an eye the race is over. If Mark Cavendish didn't get lucky on stage two, expect to see his train going full gas here. But I reckon Andre Greipel will suck his doors off.
Doesn't sound like the actual finish itself is that hard, so the profile is probably wrong... as it has been every time, so that's not very surprising.

A

Anonymous

Ferminal said:
Looks like the last 500m are at 5%?

Y'know.. that could be todays profile.

Like everyone, im getting more and more convinced their profiles are wrong.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
10% is correct. About 50m altitude difference in 500m length, makes 10m/100m=10%

That is, if the profile is accurate...
OK, my calculations were totally wrong, since the altitude difference is only 25m:p

But that still makes 5% uphill

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Profile for last 500m looks wrong to me.

There is a decent breeze up on this side of the range, so slight chance we might see some excitement after the peloton turn left at Ashbourne. It's a nice rise which should be exposed to a decent crosswind, followed by a fast tailwind run into town. With a bit of luck and some good timing someone like Bobridge should at least be able to create some panic.

Of course in reality come 12pm the wind will probably drop right off and HTC, Radioshack and OPL will probably have the peloton in lockdown from Meadows.

Ferminal said:
Break has finally gone... got a couple of minutes.

I think its:

Wilson
C. Meyer
Ten Dam
Kadri
Ruijgh
De Gendt

Are they away? It was the usual suspects who took the intermediate sprint?

Edit: Hmmmm, apparently so. Kadri, ten Dam and co. were reported as attacking before they mentioned the sprint results, but now they're ahead again.