• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Down Under

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm observing that with little racing that this forum is getting a little bogged down so I thought you might enjoy a thread on the TDU to preview and predict who will win in Down Under.

TEAM LISTS
TEAM RADIOSHACK (USA)
11. ARMSTRONG Lance USA
12. IMPEY Daryl RSA
13. MCCARTNEY Jason USA
14. POPOVYCH Yaroslav UKR
15. ROSSELER Sebastien BEL
16. VAITKUS Tomas LTU
17. STEEGMANS Gert BEL

Team Manager: GALLOPIN Alain FRA

BMC RACING TEAM (USA)
21. EVANS Cadel AUS
22. HINCAPIE George USA
23. KROON Karsten NED
24. WYSS Danilo SUI
25. KRISTOFF Alexander RSA
26. SANTAMBROGIO Mauro ITA
27. FREI Thomas SUI

Team Manager: LELANGUE John SUI

OMEGA PHARMA LOTTO (BEL)
31. DELAGE Mickal FRA
32. KAISEN Olivier BEL
33. LJUNGBLAD Jonas SWE
34. LLOYD Matthew AUS
35. ROELANDTS Jrgen BEL
36. LOWIK Gerben NED
37. VAN GOOLEN Jurgen BEL

Team Manager: REDANT Hendrik BEL

TEAM COLUMBIA HTC (USA)
41. GREIPEL Andre GER
42. ROGERS Michael AUS
43. GRABSCH Bert GER
44. EISEL Bernhard AUT
45. SIEBERG Marcel GER
46. GOSS Mathew AUS
47. ROULSTON Hayden NZL

Team Manager: PEIPER Alan AUS

TEAM SKY (GBR)
51. SUTTON Christopher AUS
52. VIGANO Davide ITA
53. SWIFT Ben GBR
54. HAYMAN Mathew AUS
55. DOWNING Russell GBR
56. FROOME Christopher GBR
57. HENDERSON Greg NZL

Team Manager: YATES Sean GBR

Ag2r La Mondiale (FRA)
61. ELMIGER Martin SUI
62. DESSEL Cyril FRA
63. KADRI Blel FRA
64. KRIVTSOV Yuriy UKR
65. MANDRI Ren EST
66. RAVARD Anthony FRA
67. TURPIN Ludovic FRA

Team Manager: BIONDI Laurent FRA

TEAM KATUSHA (RUS)
71. McEWEN Robbie AUS
72. PLIUSCHIN Alexander MDA
73. VORGANOV Eduard RUS
74. RIPOLL HORRACH Juan ESP
75. GALIMZYANOV Denis RSA
76. VANDENBERGH Stijn BEL
77. KLIMOV Sergey RSA

Team Manager: KONYCHEV Dmitri RUS

MILRAM (GER)
91. FORSTER Robert GER
92. FOTHEN Markus GER
93. GAJEK Artur GER
94. ROHREGGER Thomas GER
95. STROETINGA Wim NED
96. ROBERTS Luke AUS
97. SCHRODER Bjorn GER

Team Manager: ALGERI Vittorio ITA

FRANCAISE DES JEUX (FRA)
101. GUDSELL Timothy NZL
102. PINOT Thibaut FRA
103. HUTAROVICH Yauheni BLR
104. ROUX Anthony FRA
105. SULZBERGER Wesley AUS
106. CAZAUX Pierre FRA
107. VICHOT Arthur FRA

Team Manager: BRICAUD Thierry FRA

RABOBANK (NED)
141. BROWN Graeme AUS
142. CLEMENT Stef NED
143. FLENS Rick NED
144. LEEZER Tom NED
145. MOERENHOUT Koos NED
146. VAN EMDEN Jos NED
147. WEENING Pieter NED

Team Manager: MAASSEN Frans NED

A

Anonymous

I believe Scott Sunderland is DS for Sky not Sean Yates (well thats what the TdU site originally reported).. but that is me being very pedantic.. Sky have also said Henderson is team captain, which i find odd, but thats what theyve said.. :confused: (the TdU arent impressing me with their effiency so far)

I havnt looked at the route properly yet, plan to over the next couple of days, but i do have a rather optimistic hope that young russell downing can pull of the win in the cancer council classic the night before. decent turn of speed on him, not up with the top sprinters, but he may catch them on a little bit of an early season off day, and he does have a lot of experience of circuit racing, was very strong in last years crit series in britain..

optimistic, but i cant think of anything better than Downing getting Team Skys first win..

outside of the national bias, i would like Impey to get a stage win, even if he has signed for the shack..

Overall win.. i think if hes on form Greipul could pick up a handful of stages and the overall.

hmm.. i hate things you have to register to look at..

yeah, but it's free, & it's fun

Ah, yes, joining is free, even when you don't want to participate in the games and just want access to our database and all the fun stuff on the Race!

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
There are a couple of stages that look like a small group could get off the front (Stage 5 appears to have a similar profile to the one Boom won at the Vuelta) but on the whole it appears to be a tour for the sprinters. Therefore, based on start lists so far announced and the assumptions that there are bonus seconds to be won and Columbia are there to race and not just stretch their legs, I would have to go for Greipel as the most likely winner.

Rojas sounds serious though

The purpose of this competition is to earn as many points as possible with a team of 25 riders. You need to determine which riders offer the best chance of success before the competition's deadline. 15 of your riders can earn points per stage for your team.

1. STEEGMANS Gert BEL Prognose
2. BROWN Graeme RAB AUS Prognose
3. GREIPEL André THR GER Prognose
4. MCEWEN Robbie KAT AUS Prognose
5. ROJAS GIL Jose Joaquin GCE ESP Prognose
6. STROETINGA Wim MRM NED Prognose
7. HUTAROVICH Yauheni FDJ BLR Prognose
8. ROELANDTS Jurgen SIL BEL Prognose
+ ??

c'mon, whop my ****...

http://tdu.cyclingfever.com/hoofdcompetitie.html?_p=rules

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Australians will be on fire they love the hot summer weather.

Davis McEwan Brown and several othere always on top form in Summer in Oz

They have the Aussie Champs the week before and the Bay crit series to get race ready

Imagin comming from snow and ice in Europe -10deg and be hit with 43 deg every day.

At club level we cut off at 35 deg for safety but the pro tour goes on regardless.

How I would love to see a white christmas.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
I believe Scott Sunderland is DS for Sky not Sean Yates (well thats what the TdU site originally reported).. but that is me being very pedantic.. Sky have also said Henderson is team captain, which i find odd, but thats what theyve said.. :confused: (the TdU arent impressing me with their effiency so far)

I havnt looked at the route properly yet, plan to over the next couple of days, but i do have a rather optimistic hope that young russell downing can pull of the win in the cancer council classic the night before. decent turn of speed on him, not up with the top sprinters, but he may catch them on a little bit of an early season off day, and he does have a lot of experience of circuit racing, was very strong in last years crit series in britain..

optimistic, but i cant think of anything better than Downing getting Team Skys first win..

outside of the national bias, i would like Impey to get a stage win, even if he has signed for the shack..

Overall win.. i think if hes on form Greipul could pick up a handful of stages and the overall.

Beacause the tdu organisers announced the start list it's their fault, really it's Ben Swift's or sky's fault for not getting it all done. Whinging poms:D. TDU is better than any of your races.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Kingsley A said:
There are a couple of stages that look like a small group could get off the front (Stage 5 appears to have a similar profile to the one Boom won at the Vuelta) but on the whole it appears to be a tour for the sprinters. Therefore, based on start lists so far announced and the assumptions that there are bonus seconds to be won and Columbia are there to race and not just stretch their legs, I would have to go for Greipel as the most likely winner.

My run down of the stages:

Stage 1: Bore-fest till the last km. Highroad will keep the peloton total lock-down till the almost inevitable mass sprint.

Stage 2: Lumpy, but not selective. Small groups will try to go away but unless the radio ban is a lot more effective than anticipated everything will come back together for the finish. Probably third best stage for an escape to stick.

Stage 3: in my view will be the do or die stage for anyone who wants to steal the TdU from the sprinters. It's a good lumpy stage and the wind shouldn't work against any escapes. A group of grimpeur/rouleurs should have a dig on Wickhams Hill and then work together till the closing circuit in Stirling. Wickhams is similar hardness to Willunga, pure sprinters could easily find themselves shelled out the back, so even if it isn't selective enough for someone to win the tour, someone might very well lose the race here.

Stage 4: unfortunately is backwards. :( I think it's deliberate so that punters doing the shortened version of the challenge Tour get an essentially downhill run the entire way from Woodside to Goolwa. Fox Creek Rd is a beautiful climb but is way too early in the stage to make a difference. However the wind could be decisive and in the right conditions we could see echelons forming as the peloton moves through Milang and Langhorne Creek.

Stage 5: is always considered the "Queen" stage but the problem is it is 10kms from the top of Willy Hill to the finish line and the wind is likely to be a dead headwind for last 5kms of that. However, the peloton passes one of the world's top twenty beaches three times and spends the entire race in a premium wine region so it's guaranteed to be a good stage for the spectators.

Stage 6: sprint finish. At least it's near the Zoo so you can go hassle the pandas while you wait for the inevitable.

I'll say that Greipel is still the definite favourite, followed by Rojas and CJ Sutton.

Best place to watch the Tour... they come within 30m of where I'm sitting right now on two stages... so I probably won't be moving very far.:D

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
timmers said:
What radio ban? This race is ProTour.

If the Sky Pro Cycling Team had a website they could tell us who their team is and the DS. Not very professional considering the season starts in 20 days.

Maybe Greg Henderson is lying about being the Sky team leader
http://roadcycling.co.nz/RaceTalk/henderson-1st-ever-team-sky-leader.html

Their website is up but its not displaying any information until 4th January. I read somewhere the other day that Sean Yates will be the DS at the tour down under with Greg Henderson as leader so that is validated by the above article.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
timmers said:
What radio ban? This race is ProTour.

I've had problems working out which races wre effected straight away. I thought all stage races were still Class 2, with ProTour stage races being class 2.PT, but now I realise that UPT is a class to itself.

Don't know how I could posibly get confused by the UCI regulations...:D

A

Anonymous

Parcours said:
Their website is up but its not displaying any information until 4th January. I read somewhere the other day that Sean Yates will be the DS at the tour down under with Greg Henderson as leader so that is validated by the above article.

severel places reported greg henderson as team leader on tuesday, but you know how these things are, 1 reports it, the rest just follow..

tdu site reported sutton as ds, and then yates, so who knows.. personally i beleived it to be sutton, hes the more senior ds, its their first race, and hes an aussie.. but of their two articles id expect the team list confirming yates to be the more acurate..

though i also read somwhere that sutton was ds for qatar so who know..

heres the henderson as leader article

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Please excuse my suggesting otherwise on a first posting, but surely from an experience and proven ability point of view Sean Yates is the senior DS at Sky, perhaps even more so than manager Scott Sunderland. 11 grand tours as a DS and leading both Savodelli and Contador to victory in the Giro puts him right up there with the best.

Is Shane Sutton now officially a DS with Sky?, I thought that other two were Steven De Jongh and Marcus Ljungqvist.

A

Anonymous

Dodger said:
Please excuse my suggesting otherwise on a first posting, but surely from an experience and proven ability point of view Sean Yates is the senior DS at Sky, perhaps even more so than manager Scott Sunderland. 11 grand tours as a DS and leading both Savodelli and Contador to victory in the Giro puts him right up there with the best.

Is Shane Sutton now officially a DS with Sky?, I thought that other two were Steven De Jongh and Marcus Ljungqvist.

shane sutton is sporting director.. sunderland is sportive manager (i guess that is kind of head DS???).. i think i will trust the official start list which say yates.. i just wish january will hurry up and arrive..

General Manager David Brailsford GBR
Performance Director Shane Sutton AUS
Head Coach Rod Ellingworth GBR
Operations Manager Carsten Jeppesen DEN
Sportive Manager Scott Sunderland AUS
Director Marcus Ljungqvist SWE
Director Steven de Jongh NED
Director Sean Yates GBR
from wiki....

thankfully the darts world championships start soon to keep me amused over xmas..

A

Anonymous

badboyberty said:
My run down of the stages:

Stage 1: Bore-fest till the last km. Highroad will keep the peloton total lock-down till the almost inevitable mass sprint.
SNIP

Best place to watch the Tour... they come within 30m of where I'm sitting right now on two stages... so I probably won't be moving very far.:D

fancy writing a preview for here.. the boss needs a contributor and ive got peas to shell

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
severel places reported greg henderson as team leader on tuesday, but you know how these things are, 1 reports it, the rest just follow..

tdu site reported sutton as ds, and then yates, so who knows.. personally i beleived it to be sutton, hes the more senior ds, its their first race, and hes an aussie.. but of their two articles id expect the team list confirming yates to be the more acurate..

though i also read somwhere that sutton was ds for qatar so who know..

heres the henderson as leader article

Quote from Scott Sunderland Twitter....

'...I am sorry not to be at TDU in Jan, as Australian, but impossible to be in 2 places at once. Sean Yates will be the DS there.'

A

Anonymous

Andy99 said:
Quote from Scott Sunderland Twitter....

'...I am sorry not to be at TDU in Jan, as Australian, but impossible to be in 2 places at once. Sean Yates will be the DS there.'

ah... im following to many people.. i cant keep up.. :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
i going to pick Steegmans for the win.
i think Turtur needs to add in an ITT amybe just 10 to 15km long to make the race a bit more interesting. So then it will still make it possible to win and guys who aren't sprinters but who can TT will be more attacking to preserve their lead on the sprinters.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
All i can say is, a sprinter will win it.
All stages set themselves up to be a sprint, and it's quite difficult to see it go any other way.
As for Sky, the leader will clearly be Sutton, he's an aussie sprinter, let him have his chance here.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
auscyclefan94 said:
i going to pick Steegmans for the win.
i think Turtur needs to add in an ITT amybe just 10 to 15km long to make the race a bit more interesting. So then it will still make it possible to win and guys who aren't sprinters but who can TT will be more attacking to preserve their lead on the sprinters.

ITT up Norton Summit (New Norton Summit rd). Only take 10 -15 minutes per rider (maybe close to twenty for riders who ate too many pies at Christmas) but should give Jack Bobridge a crack at taking GC. Gets the TdU decent hill finish without dragging the peloton into the city in the late part of a stage and is steep enough to justify the use of normal bikes instead of TT machines so teams don't need to cart extra bikes all the way here.

And as there's a pub at the top Wiggans might be tempted to do the race;)

My two cents anyway...

TRENDING THREADS