• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

QvR_HQqv_400x400.jpg

GGO-cfHXYAAawVx

A tough race that Chris Froome has come to win. Always exciting crowds. And always exciting young talents,
Last year it was Henok Mulubrhan who won it, this year he started well but broke his collarbone recently. Lecerf and Glivar are two youngsters who has shown good form already.

Notable riders: Lecerf, Latour, Glivar, Chris Froome

MeES5Fs.png

6avHYXM.png

There should be some local live broadcast like last year.

FLDdl8P.png

Full startlist:

There are a lot of WT developments teams going here, like the Quickstep, Astana, UAE, DSM, FDJ, Lotto Dstny, all development teams with young possibly future stars.

Interesting fact: Alexandre Vinokourov is the son ofcourse of the great Alexander Vinokourov, racing for the Astana team.
Interesting fact 2: Jan Polanc of UAE team had to retire last year because of heart problems, he is a good friend of Pogacar. He is now a DS and is leading the devo team in this race.

Thanks to open the thread...exciting and amazing race, moree explosive this year and 2 TT...I see lot of good sprinters on the teams, but just second stage, and not easy is for a massive sprint...the rest ar uphill or quite hard for a bunch sprint. Restrepo is in a very good shape, winning last stage at Colombia to Carapaz, si for me is the favourite, but with lot of good rivals, Lecerf, all the african army. And other young promisding riders. The number 1 will be for Alexandre Vinokourov...imposible not to follow what he do.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I see Alexandre Vinokourov mentioned a couple of times. I wouldn't get my hopes up, he is not bad. He is godawful. Now, some actual interesting youngsters are to be found elsewhere. I don't know how they keep landing them despite a lot of riders departing, but DSM is bringing Ilian Barhoumi. He is a former mountainbiker who came through the AG2R program and who we'll see shine in the classics in the future. Last year he dominated, and I mean dominated, in the Coppa Andrea Meneghelli, which is the junior equivalent of the Strade Bianche. We're talking minutes, into world class competition. He also defended himself really well on the Grand Colombier, despite his massive frame. DSM also brings Jacob Bush, who came through the highly rated Fensham Howes program. He is more of a climber, which is kind of obvious given he weighs about 55kg. Mees Vlot is also on that team. He was on BORA's junior team as a first year, then all of a sudden was on Watersley. Bit of a weird rider. Every time you think he's taken off, he falls back. Very decent results in the big races though.

UAE have Anze Ravbar, who put himself on the big map by becoming European Champion on Col du VAM. He was 4th in the mentioned Coppa Andrea Meneghelli, but also showed promise elsewhere in big races such as the Peace Race. There's also Pablo Torres, who had some decent results in the national scene of Spain, but I ain't too high on him tbh. I could point you towards a multitude of Spaniards who are effortlessly better, including Adria Pericas, who appears to go to UAE next season, fyi. There's also Owen Cole, a mountain biker with little road experience. He became Collegiate national champion, only to become U23 a week after too. Fun fact, he's combining racing and studying Exercise Science.

FDJ went Brit a couple of years ago and now they have Josh Golliker. Another climber, though a bit bigger than Bush. He impressed me last year when he went on two huge raids in Valle d'Aosta. Put minutes into everyone on Courmayeur, then dropped minutes (13(!) to Fenis, only to put minutes into everyone again to Cervinia. Of course, there's also Aklilu Arefayne of Intermarche with the Eritrea national team, who appears to be the next great hope after Girmay.

I see Alexandre Vinokourov mentioned a couple of times. I wouldn't get my hopes up, he is not bad. He is godawful. Now, some actual interesting youngsters are to be found elsewhere. I don't know how they keep landing them despite a lot of riders departing, but DSM is bringing Ilian Barhoumi. He is a former mountainbiker who came through the AG2R program and who we'll see shine in the classics in the future. Last year he dominated, and I mean dominated, in the Coppa Andrea Meneghelli, which is the junior equivalent of the Strade Bianche. We're talking minutes, into world class competition. He also defended himself really well on the Grand Colombier, despite his massive frame. DSM also brings Jacob Bush, who came through the highly rated Fensham Howes program. He is more of a climber, which is kind of obvious given he weighs about 55kg. Mees Vlot is also on that team. He was on BORA's junior team as a first year, then all of a sudden was on Watersley. Bit of a weird rider. Every time you think he's taken off, he falls back. Very decent results in the big races though.

UAE have Anze Ravbar, who put himself on the big map by becoming European Champion on Col du VAM. He was 4th in the mentioned Coppa Andrea Meneghelli, but also showed promise elsewhere in big races such as the Peace Race. There's also Pablo Torres, who had some decent results in the national scene of Spain, but I ain't too high on him tbh. I could point you towards a multitude of Spaniards who are effortlessly better, including Adria Pericas, who appears to go to UAE next season, fyi. There's also Owen Cole, a mountain biker with little road experience. He became Collegiate national champion, only to become U23 a week after too. Fun fact, he's combining racing and studying Exercise Science.

FDJ went Brit a couple of years ago and now they have Josh Golliker. Another climber, though a bit bigger than Bush. He impressed me last year when he went on two huge raids in Valle d'Aosta. Put minutes into everyone on Courmayeur, then dropped minutes (13(!) to Fenis, only to put minutes into everyone again to Cervinia. Of course, there's also Aklilu Arefayne of Intermarche with the Eritrea national team, who appears to be the next great hope after Girmay.
Thank you. When you means young I think you means about 18 years old riders...That is very young....The man of UAE is https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/gal-glivar . and at the Israel they have a rider who was for Great Britain last year at Rwanda dn it was 6th and 2th agter Mulhubran the last stage. so this year he has the experience and a year stronger, https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/joseph-blackmore

Apparently the TTT is just for a stage win, and times don't count for GC?

Parcours looks a bit less hard than last year but there's always chaos here. Some rain, lots of crashes, zero control.

ITT might be pretty decisive tho.
In that case they shouldn't be allowed to present it as part of the race, its a side show, like the city sprint before the TDU. I'm no fan of TTTs, but this is just making a mockery of the definition of a stage race.

• Wow
I haven't seen anything official about it but Lorenz Van de Wynkele, a Lotto Dstny Devo rider who will be at the start mentioned it in an interview so I'm assuming he's informed.

I think it's simply because the level between teams is too big. Some teams probably don't even have TT bikes for their riders. But yeah it's stupid. Should've just not done a TTT then.