• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Match Up: Gesink v Van Den Broeck

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish higher in the Tour de France?

• TGBM!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I guess were the morons for not predicting braj would fall in front of gesink and ruin his tour. :rolleyes:

Bye Bye Bicycle, El Pistolero, Flamin, Galic Ho, harleyrules170, Jan the Man, Martina, Michielveedeebee, MrContador, palmerq, Parrulo, perico, Ruben B, sagard, Siriuscat, Timmy-loves-Rabo, togo95, Vino attacks everyone, Zoncolan

These guys aren't morons. I know that option was a joke, but I really thought that would happen. I still expect Cuddles to crash as well.

With Leipheimer, Horner, Wiggins, Gesink(same as Samu), Samu Sanchez(not out but lot's of time loss) out podium looks to be very much possible for VDB2.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
this.

their idea of this thread holds no value anymore.

I mean gesink could be 60th place on stage 19 and then vdb crashes out in itt and alas we were right :rolleyes:

it sucks for gesink, I am intrigued on his approach now.

I really think he ought to give the Vuelta a go. He will not be in good shape come the mountains, even so, he has lost an unnecessary amount of time to his rivals today. It will be so close this year that every second matters.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Bye Bye Bicycle, El Pistolero, Flamin, Galic Ho, harleyrules170, Jan the Man, Martina, Michielveedeebee, MrContador, palmerq, Parrulo, perico, Ruben B, sagard, Siriuscat, Timmy-loves-Rabo, togo95, Vino attacks everyone, Zoncolan

These guys aren't morons. I know that option was a joke, but I really thought that would happen. I still expect Cuddles to crash as well.

With Leipheimer, Horner, Wiggins, Gesink(same as Samu), Samu Sanchez(not out but lot's of time loss) out podium looks to be very much possible for VDB2.

that is fine, but the crash was not gesink's fault at all.
this was rotten luck. Not just for him but for wiggo and co also.
A real shame. And we can't label jvdb a better cyclist now because of this.

at this point it does.

Depends on ac i think.
Evans will probably do enough to grind out a podium tho.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If he loses time in the mountain sure, but you're forgetting that Gesink still wants to win the white jersey. There's prestige in that and it's his only chance this year.

El Pistolero said:

I'd put my money on VDB2 now actually, he seems more likely to best Cadel in the mountains than the other way around.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
I really think he ought to give the Vuelta a go. He will not be in good shape come the mountains, even so, he has lost an unnecessary amount of time to his rivals today. It will be so close this year that every second matters.

At this point I think I'd rather see him try the vuelta also.

I just can't see any sense in struggling, wasting energy for a 10-15th place.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
White jersey.

based on today I'm not even sure he'll get that.
It was a secondary goal anyway, he said GC was the focus and white jersey a secondary goal.

I'd rather see him have a realistic shot at the vuelta then waste his time on the youth jersey.

do I rate and celebrate karpets for winning this? no.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
He might as well abandon. It would surely save us more stress and disappointment. I cannot wait for Kruijswijk to contest the Tour next year. I cannot deal with Gesink's bad luck anymore. :( In two year's time I'm all in the Kelderman bandwagon. :p

I kinda want him to throw in the towel :eek:

And pray the vuelta goes better :eek:
I wonder if the chaotic nature of the tour is something gesink really struggles with.

Spine Concept said:
He might as well abandon. It would surely save us more stress and disappointment. I cannot wait for Kruijswijk to contest the Tour next year. I cannot deal with Gesink's bad luck anymore. :( In two year's time I'm all in the Kelderman bandwagon. :p
Same

I cannot deal with hoping Gesink somehow stays upright. He is the most talented but bad luck is following him everywhere. And I have a feeling he is mentality not as strong handling bad luck as others.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Same

I cannot deal with hoping Gesink somehow stays upright. He is the most talented but bad luck is following him everywhere. And I have a feeling he is mentality not as strong handling bad luck as others.

Completely agree. Especially with the mentality bit. That's where I think T. Dekker was better than Gesink. Though after the whole predicament he went through it seems his mentality might have taken a dip as well, albeit understandable. That is such an important facet for a top athlete.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Same

indeed. I noticed he really took the bad luck with frustration at this tour.

A comment on his twitter where he indicated he was over it.
his reaction to the mechanical.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Looks like we are both screwed. At least Gesink has another 10 years of TDF left in him. This was Samus last chance.

Samu will win a stage, I guarantee you that. As long as he isn't a little wuss in the descends.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
indeed. I noticed he really took the bad luck with frustration at this tour.

A comment on his twitter where he indicated he was over it.
his reaction to the mechanical.
This is a different situation of course, but all season long it's seemed like our country's best cyclist doesn't really like what he's doing. Which is a pity. Maybe it's time for a sabbatical.