• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Match Up: Gesink v Van Den Broeck

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish higher in the Tour de France?

• TGBM!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Azabael said:
I think that's mainly disappointment as he felt he was in really good shape.

You could be right. If he can recover properly and manages to climb among the best, he won't be the first they react to when he would jump out of the fav's group.

Ofc some of it was disappointment, but all have been bad for him so far and the more you get down (literally aswell) and lose time etc. you get not only disappointed, but also frustrated... just like a Tyler...

But yes, if Gesink makes some good climbes, there is still hope.

Had to miss the stage today but if you think being in Gesink's shoes is hard, try being a Gesink supporter. :p What a major - albeit predictable - letdown. Every Dutch hope has been involved in a crash; Gesink, Mollema, Kruiswijk, Westra and Poels. I had high hopes for Poels showing himself tomorrow. Poor Wynants has broken ribs if I'm not mistaken. Tjallingii already crashed out. I can't say I'm surprised, but it's still very disappointing when you have to read a headline where Gesink is quoted saying ''Dit is verschrikkelijk balen'' all over again, cause you know what that means. I just hope he sticks to his words about not going forth if he feels like there's no point in doing so and saves himself for the Vuelta. Another failed Tour de France is in the making for Rabobank, at least GC-wise though I can't see an injured LLS saving them the blushes this year again. I want to hate Gesink for getting my hopes up a bit this year after a great ToC and his vastly improved TTing but I guess it would not have been fair in any case for me to expect so much from him after the year he's had. I sympathize with the guy and I know it's not his fault, but it's so very frustrating. :( Damn you Tour, damn you... Oh and Rabobank too for their obsession with the Tour. I would rather see either of Gesink, Mollema, and Kruijswijk win or podium in another GT than crash out of the Tour or GC contention year in year out ffs. I know staying upright is not a given in any GT but the Tour is known for being such a nervous race and so it's just not smart to put all of your eggs in one basket.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
If Rabo had had a terrible day, lost Gesink and Kruijswijk to crashes, we'd be saying at least they still have Mollema for GC. It's immensely bad luck to lose all 3 GC guys in one day.

Had to miss the stage today but if you think being in Gesink's shoes is hard, try being a Gesink supporter. :p What a major - albeit predictable - letdown. Every Dutch hope has been involved in a crash; Gesink, Mollema, Kruiswijk, Westra and Poels. I had high hopes for Poels showing himself tomorrow. Poor Wynants has broken ribs if I'm not mistaken. Tjallingii already crashed out. I can't say I'm surprised, but it's still very disappointing when you have to read a headline where Gesink is quoted saying ''Dit is verschrikkelijk balen'' all over again, cause you know what that means. I just hope he sticks to his words about not going forth if he feels like there's no point in doing so and saves himself for the Vuelta. Another failed Tour de France is in the making for Rabobank, at least GC-wise though I can't see an injured LLS saving them the blushes this year again. I want to hate Gesink for getting my hopes up a bit this year after a great ToC and his vastly improved TTing but I guess it would not have been fair in any case for me to expect so much from him after the year he's had. I sympathize with the guy and I know it's not his fault, but it's so very frustrating. :( Damn you Tour, damn you... Oh and Rabobank too for their obsession with the Tour. I would rather see either of Gesink, Mollema, and Kruijswijk win or podium in another GT than crash out of the Tour or GC contention year in year out ffs. I know staying upright is not a given in any GT but the Tour is known for being such a nervous race and so it's just not smart to put all of your eggs in one basket.

will10 said:
If Rabo had had a terrible day, lost Gesink and Kruijswijk to crashes, we'd be saying at least they still have Mollema for GC. It's immensely bad luck to lose all 3 GC guys in one day.

It's not just bad luck, it's Rabo luck, or at least Rabo in the Tour luck. :eek: I knew I should have gone for the ''Silly Ducthie! Gesink will crash out obviously'' option. :p

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
+100000000

They could've at least sent Kruijswijk to the Giro. At least.
Brilliant idea, "let's all go for a massive fail at Le Tour!".

Just brilliant.

Like or not, Giro is irrelevant for Dutch media. Rabobank isn't doing the sponsoring for charity. In Dutch media it is Tour or nothing.

Dutchsmurf said:
Like or not, Giro is irrelevant for Dutch media. Rabobank isn't doing the sponsoring for charity. In Dutch media it is Tour or nothing.

I doubt that just the Dutch media. It's pretty much worldwide except for Spain (Vuelta) and Italy (Giro) where the tour isn't the most important race by a landslide. And i do think this perception should change, the sooner the better. There is way too much focus on this one race. Too much pressure, too many riders. I think it's gotten to a point where this is too big for its own good.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree, but there is no way of changing that as team or as rider. Gesink might go to the Giro and he might even podium. The reaction here would be "why did he go to the Giro when in that form he could reach top 5 in the Tour?"

Dutchsmurf said:
I agree, but there is no way of changing that as team or as rider. Gesink might go to the Giro and he might even podium. The reaction here would be "why did he go to the Giro when in that form he could reach top 5 in the Tour?"

Indeed. One team or one rider won't make the difference. But a bunch of riders could, at least if the media want to follow. Why does the TDF get Avondetappe and Vive le vélo? Why nothing for Giro and Vuelta? It might also be a chicken and egg thing.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Logic-is-your-friend said:
The race ain't over till the fat... errr... guy reaches paris. Last year i think Gesink had lost time as well... and then JVdB crashed.

I'm prepared to face the ridicule if that happens again.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Boomcie used to be a guy with an idiosyncratic sense of humour, who contributed little to the discussion but who was now and then semi-funny.

Now he's just an incessant troll.

Hurtful.

Theyoungest used to be a poster that had interesting and at times even semi-inspirational views on cycling related matters.

Now he's just another authoritarian satrap.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:

it is not about other people's reaction, it is about himself. Riding giro give himself a chance to rediscover himself to see how he can race with less stressful pressure. It is great for his own metal development. Otherwise every year he goes into Tour wondering when he is going to crash with more and more pressure since he is growing older and older.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Otherwise every year he goes into Tour wondering when he is going to crash with more and more pressure since he is growing older and older.

And each year he doesn't go to the Tour is a year wasted, because maybe he would have gotten lucky that year. If you as rider are thinking "when I'm going to fall this time?", you shouldn't be going to the Giro. You should find another job.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
And each year he doesn't go to the Tour is a year wasted, because maybe he would have gotten lucky that year. If you as rider are thinking "when I'm going to fall this time?", you shouldn't be going to the Giro. You should find another job.
tell that to Gesink

TRENDING THREADS