• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Belgium

Most of you guys probably missed it. But damn, the queen stage has just finished and it was one of the best races I've seen this year, if not the best..

Attacks from 80km... a dangerous group including De Waele, Van Avermaet and Albert in front. After that, Boom and Dekker dropping everyone, even Ivanov (yes the AGR winner) on the climbs, riding to the front group... And finally de Waele won after a late attack just ahead of the sprint. Boom is the new leader.

It was truelly one of the most thrilling and exciting stages I saw. When they started the TV transmission, already only 20 guys were left. The stage was that hard...

I caught the last 25kms on RTBF Sat and have to agree. Terrific racing, clever tactics, loads of attacking and left guessing as to the winner, right to the line. Much prefer parcours like this, that encourage aggressive and thoughtful racing.
Great bit of work from your man to almost get Greg V A up to take the win.
Nice to see Lotto getting two results in a single day.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Was Boom injured or something? Was he racing in cyclocross?
Why didn't he take part in any of the big spring classics this year?

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Most of you guys probably missed it. But damn, the queen stage has just finished and it was one of the best races I've seen this year, if not the best..

I totally agree, what a race ! In fact, very happy with De Waele's victory... he's a bit of family from me, married with my niece :eek:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:

Boom was resting from the cyclo-cross season. The plan (and so far it's being followed) is for him to start racing May 1st, keep doing some more low level races, then possibly the ENECO later.

His goal is to impress enough to get a spot in the Vuelta roster.

May 31, 2009
Visit site
boom

Zoncolan said:

No, decided to focus on 'street?'cycling instead of cyclocross...
Tour of Belgium is his first main objective...

Would be a great 'revenge' for him to win the tour of Belgium, after the big dissapointment in Hoogerheide (worldchampionship cyclocross in Holland, won by belgian Niels Albert).

But it won't be that easy against Cornu and Dekker... has the best cards, however...

Boom is definitely a huge talent. I've been wondering for awhile how he would fare once he finally jumped over from Rabo Continental to the big squad. As much as I like watching him race cross, I would really love to see him make a go at racing road full time as I think he could be a real stud.

It's always interesting to watch the top cross guys on the road and there were a bunch of them in this race. Good result from Albert, too.

TRENDING THREADS