• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Tour of Britain 2010

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2010
1
0
0
Visit site
Endura Racing have done a couple of races in Europe though.

We've raced in (mainland) Europe a few times this year:
Tour Méditerranéen
Tour du Haut Var
Vuelta a Murcia
Tour du Finistère
Tro-Bro Léon
Rhône-Alpes Isère Tour

Paris–Corrèze coming up in August
 
Ryo Hazuki said:
ever wondered why tdu isn't broadcasted in europe like any other, even non pt races are?? because nobody gives a **** about it here.

the uci point system is a joke, in spetember there are going to be a couple of canadian pt races that again nobody is interested in. cycling evolves around history, story's and intense images, it's in many ways a romantic sport. none of those can be found in down under.

it reminds me of the early 90s when they had these worldcup races in the uk like rochester and leeds that again nobody cared about and those races failed miserably in the end, same with the japan cup as a world cup. nobody is talking about it anymore.

eurosport are going to show it next year. Australia is a major player in road cycling. So long as they can get their stars to appear there (mainly cuddles) there will be local interest in the race. And Greipel and LLS are big names, and they were competing for the tdu this year. its a decent enough race.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
The Hitch said:
eurosport are going to show it next year. Australia is a major player in road cycling. So long as they can get their stars to appear there (mainly cuddles) there will be local interest in the race. And Greipel and LLS are big names, and they were competing for the tdu this year. its a decent enough race.


I'm not saying it's not decent however it's nothing major. It doesn't have much more status here than let's say Qatar.

What also doesn't help is that it's a sprinters race and no real mountains. It's the same parcours every year as well.
 
Jun 3, 2009
109
0
0
Visit site
TDU - I watch those 30 minutes highlights packages Sky Sports shows, nice for an evening viewing.
Tour of Britian - Try to go, watch the hour highlights on itv, but the route is weak usually, but thats the way it's funded. Would be nice if it spent more time in the hilly areas of Britian.

Ryo Hazuki said:
What also doesn't help is that it's a sprinters race and no real mountains. It's the same parcours every year as well.

One of my major gripes with the TDU.
 
Ryo Hazuki said:
I'm not saying it's not decent however it's nothing major. It doesn't have much more status here than let's say Qatar.

What also doesn't help is that it's a sprinters race and no real mountains. It's the same parcours every year as well.

It could well work out that having the same parcours every year will help give the race more of a history. It certainly makes it a bit easier to compare different years.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
WE are going to see some of the big mtn passes of the world with a high quality field in the tour of britainia!:rolleyes:

This race is no match for the tdu especially with having guys like Armstrong, Evans and Valverde in there.

You really want to put your man in that company?

I'll admit Britain has nothing to compare with the legendary Wilunga Hill... but this race goes by my mother's house, so I'll be watching.
 
Ryo Hazuki said:
Just ask Europeans about the Tour Down Under. Virtually no one has heard of it.

Right. Thats about the second time youve insinuated that i am from some place other than europe. My location currently says Warsaw. 2 days ago it said London, and in about 3 weeks it will once again say London. Do you know of a Warsaw outside Europe (other than some American rip offs). Because i dont.

I have been called many bad things, but to suggest i am from australia, i am inclined to take offense;):p
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
You really want to put your man in that company?

I'll admit Britain has nothing to compare with the legendary Wilunga Hill... but this race goes by my mother's house, so I'll be watching.

Alpe D Huez is Australia's Alpe D'Wilunga!

The steep gradients and the switchbacks of the climb. ONly the greats go well on that climb.
 
Jul 6, 2010
173
0
0
Visit site
I've only just looked at the route map, but I'm pretty sure that they don't go over the black mountain as suggested. The do cross the range of mountains called black mountain, but not the mountain itself. The mountain itself is right on the border between England and Wales.

Confusingly enough, the Black Mountain itself is in the Back Mountains (Border) but the Tour actually goes through the Black Mountain (note no 's') range, which nice and confusingly is right next door.
 
Feb 12, 2010
547
0
0
Visit site
luckyboy said:
A bit off-topic, but do British Continental rank teams (Motorpoint, Rapha Condor) ever race in Europe? I only ever hear of them or see them on Eurosport in UK/Premier Calendar races.

Yes they do. In the lead up to the TOB Raliegh are riding the Tour De Pyrenees, Motorpoint are doing Vuelta a Leon and Mi-Aout Road Race in Brittany. Rapha Condor are also doing the Mi-Aout. Endura are riding Paris–Corrèze.

All have done some continental racing but not enough due to funding (they're mainly aimed at crit racing).

Provisional line ups:

Sky:
Steve Cummings; Russell Downing; Matthew Hayman; Greg Henderson; Geraint Thomas; Bradley Wiggins

Reserves: Chris Froome & Chris Sutton

Motorpoint:
Ian Bibby; Ed Clancy; Jonathan McEvoy; James Sampson; Andy Tennant; Peter Williams

Reserves: Steven Burke; Malcolm Elliott; Andrew Roche

At the end of the day, the way the race is funded means it will always miss out some areas. There's no stages in Yorkshire this as well as no staes in Scotland. If the areas wanted to have the race there then they shoulb bid for it. Unless the organisers change the funding for the race then it's the local councils that need to be encouraged to have the race, not the organisers.

Oh and by the way, a stage through the lake district would be very, very hard. See below....

profile.png
 
Aug 27, 2009
21
0
0
Visit site
Bobby G said:
Horseshoe pass is one I'd like to see them do one day. Lovely climb.

About the RDA malarkey, hopefully that'll change next year, when the RDAs are either scrapped or significantly cut back in Camerons new Big Society agenda.

If we lose the funding from the RDAs then we may lose the ToB altogether. The Tour of Ireland fell from 5 to 3 days and is cancelled for 2010, better a mediocre tour than no tour at all. I agree with an earlier post than Brailsford ought to put some pressure on British Cycling to increase the number of stage races in the UK and a Tour of Scotland or Wales would be very interesting. If we can get a British winner then perhaps the national interest will increase. At least Wiggo should finish this year with him not riding the Worlds.
 
Aug 6, 2009
1,901
1
0
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Right. Thats about the second time youve insinuated that i am from some place other than europe. My location currently says Warsaw. 2 days ago it said London, and in about 3 weeks it will once again say London. Do you know of a Warsaw outside Europe (other than some American rip offs). Because i dont.
There are several Warsaws outside of Europe actually, though none in Australia as far as I can tell. It's usually pretty safe to assume that for every country or major city in Europe there's 5-10 hamlets in the US named after it.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Reverend_T_Preedy said:
Yes they do. In the lead up to the TOB Raliegh are riding the Tour De Pyrenees, Motorpoint are doing Vuelta a Leon and Mi-Aout Road Race in Brittany. Rapha Condor are also doing the Mi-Aout. Endura are riding Paris–Corrèze.

All have done some continental racing but not enough due to funding (they're mainly aimed at crit racing).

Provisional line ups:

Sky:
Steve Cummings; Russell Downing; Matthew Hayman; Greg Henderson; Geraint Thomas; Bradley Wiggins

Reserves: Chris Froome & Chris Sutton

Motorpoint:
Ian Bibby; Ed Clancy; Jonathan McEvoy; James Sampson; Andy Tennant; Peter Williams

Reserves: Steven Burke; Malcolm Elliott; Andrew Roche

At the end of the day, the way the race is funded means it will always miss out some areas. There's no stages in Yorkshire this as well as no staes in Scotland. If the areas wanted to have the race there then they shoulb bid for it. Unless the organisers change the funding for the race then it's the local councils that need to be encouraged to have the race, not the organisers.

Oh and by the way, a stage through the lake district would be very, very hard. See below....

profile.png

Wiggins has a chance to actually win something! It is funny how much the brits exaggerate the steepness of their climbs on that profile above.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
Wiggins has a chance to actually win something! It is funny how much the brits exaggerate the steepness of their climbs on that profile above.

While we do not have any mountains we do have some very nasty steep hills. Hard Knott mentioned in that profile is easy 15%+ for 2Km. Evans would lose two minute on it in a race no worries;)
 
Jul 6, 2010
173
0
0
Visit site
Just been doing my sums and on average the riders will travel 170 kms a day from the finish of the previous days stage to the next days starting point. That is terrible. Especially the 350km from Devon to London.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
While we do not have any mountains we do have some very nasty steep hills. Hard Knott mentioned in that profile is easy 15%+ for 2Km. Evans would lose two minute on it in a race no worries;)
Then wiggins would lose 10x that;)
Bobby G said:
Just been doing my sums and on average the riders will travel 170 kms a day from the finish of the previous days stage to the next days starting point. That is terrible. Especially the 350km from Devon to London.

Another point that TDU has over ToB
 
Aug 27, 2009
21
0
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Wiggins has a chance to actually win something! It is funny how much the brits exaggerate the steepness of their climbs on that profile above.

I don't think we exaggerate the steepness and recall European pros having to get off and push on the Trough of Bowland which is used on the first stage of this year's race. In comparison to the Alps and Pyrenees, our climbs are short and sharp and the Hardknott Pass is 33% in parts (I have never even considered taking my car over the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes never mind cycling over them).
 
Oct 8, 2009
103
0
0
Visit site
The ToB has left me heartbroken. I went to the final day in London last year, thoroughly enjoyed it (bit of an EBH fan). This year I knew the holiday I was booking would clash with it, but thought it would be in places like Devon and Somerset again. Oh no. Not only are they starting one stage in Newtown, Powys where my kids were born, they are having a whole stage that basically loops right round where I live, so that with a bit of effort I could cut across country and catch the race a couple of times, including the sprint stage in the village where I work :mad: and then the final stage is in Newham, my birthplace. So thanks, ToB for dedicating a race to the story of my life - I just wish I could be there to watch it!
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Wiggins has a chance to actually win something! It is funny how much the brits exaggerate the steepness of their climbs on that profile above.

Have you seen the TdP maps?

At least they have hills unlike ZZZzzzzzz..... Greipel-fest that is Australia
 
Feb 12, 2010
547
0
0
Visit site
Three more teams have announced their roster for the TOB:

AN Post Sean Kelly Cycling Team
Matt Brammeier; Pieter Ghyllebert; Philip Lavery; Conor McConvey; Mark McNally; David O’Loughlin
Reserves: Kim Borry; Mark Cassidy; Niko Eeckhout; Kenny Lisabeth; Paidi O’Brien

Endura Racing
Jack Bauer; Alexandre Blain; Iker Camaño; Rob Partridge; Scott Thwaites; Ian Wilkinson
Reserves: Ross Creber; Rob Hayles; James McCallum; Evan Oliphant; Callum Wilkinson

Rapha – Condor – Sharp
Dan Craven; Zak Dempster; Ben Greenwood; Kristian House; Darren Lapthorne; Jonathan Tiernan-Locke
Reserves: Graham Briggs; Chris Newton; Tom Southam
 
Jul 15, 2010
53
0
0
Visit site
British are lazy. They must have their cars as appendages to their livelihood. Having a car is like getting a life promotion. No car, you are nothing. With car, drive like maniac.

Britain is not even that big. I can't see the point of fitting in more stages. But if more stages are fitted in there will be no new places to ride. It will become an all too similar course after only a couple of years.

The stages that are already run are only 100 miles (160km) long maximum. Maybe these stages could be made longer.

I agree with one of previous posts that more of Scotland, particularly the hills should be included. That would raise the profile of the Tour. But some of those places are remote and transfer arrangements could be a nightmare.

Riding in Britain is terrible. It's up down, up down all the time.

I'm not so sure about TDU either. I really doubt it is really a tour as it circumvents all the really hard places like the outback. Does the TDU really cover continental Australia? No it does not.
 
Feb 12, 2010
547
0
0
Visit site
3 more teams confirmed for the TOB. Great to see Jonny Bellis back!!!:

Team Saxo Bank
Jonathan Bellis; Lucas Sebastien Haedo; Frank Høj; Jonas Aaen Jorgensen; Jaroslav Marycz; Alex Rasmussen

Sigma Sport – Specialized
Stephen Gallagher; Kit Gilham; Tom Murray; Simon Richardson; Matt Stephens; Wouter Sybrandy
Reserves: Stephen Adams; Tom Last; James Williamson

Team Raleigh
Dale Appleby; Tom Barras; Dan Fleeman; Richard Handley; Liam Holohan; Daniel Shand
Reserves: Mike Cuming;, Peter Smith; James Stewart