• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Britain 2010

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:
Let's just call it the Tour of England and call the whole thing off! Pesky Celts:)

Why? It's coming to Wales for the first time in about six years. Just because it's not coming to Scotland for the first time in ages, the chips on shoulders start to grow. They don't stop calling it the Tour de France if it misses out Normandy, do they?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Full team line up now confirmed;

HTC Columbia
Garmin Transitions
Vacansoleil
Skil Shimano
Sky
Cervelo Test Team
Team Raleigh
Endura Racing
Sigma Sport Specialized
Motorpoint Marshalls Pasta
Team Saxo bank
An Post Sean Kelly Team
Rapha Condor Sharp
Topsport Vlaanderen
Ireland
Colnago-CSF-Inox
ISD Neri

So finance dictates that stages are based around urban centres in England/South Wales, and geology dictates that those areas are short of alpine ranges.

At least they have tried to avoid too much of a predictable sprinters' lucky dip with sharp rises to the finish lines at Stoke, Swansea and Colchester (my local finish)

Andy99 said:
Full team line up now confirmed;

HTC Columbia
Garmin Transitions
Vacansoleil
Skil Shimano
Sky
Cervelo Test Team
Team Raleigh
Endura Racing
Sigma Sport Specialized
Motorpoint Marshalls Pasta
Team Saxo bank
An Post Sean Kelly Team
Rapha Condor Sharp
Topsport Vlaanderen
Ireland
Colnago-CSF-Inox
ISD Neri

After all this time, they finally announce two teams that I might actually give a crap about!

A

Anonymous

Bro mers said:
Im really looking forward to the ToB as it's one of the few races that is televised over here.

apart from the tour de france, giro, vuelta, 90% of the classics, and various other races?

Does anyone in the UK genuinly not have digital tv by now?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
apart from the tour de france, giro, vuelta, 90% of the classics, and various other races?

Does anyone in the UK genuinely not have digital tv by now?

Lots of people don't have cable or sky, and of these races Freeview/Freesat only have the TdF and ToB (plus Halfords tour series). Eurosport isn't available via BT or TUTV, so the giro, vuelta, classics etc are out of the question for a lot of digitial TV viewers.

Eurosport via the internet (player) probably doesn't attract that many casual viewers into cycling.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Does anyone in the UK genuinly not have digital tv by now?
Not everyone wants to have to pay extra just to get Eurosport coverage. The only free race coverage is, as salixcycling says, TdF and the ToB.

A

Anonymous

Chuffy said:
Not everyone wants to have to pay extra just to get Eurosport coverage. The only free race coverage is, as salixcycling says, TdF and the ToB.

I thought eurosport was on freeview/freesat.. I dunno, ive had satellite since the days of the squariel, (1989 i got sky :eek:), and four foot wide dishes. I remember eurosport launching i think. I certainly remember there only being about 5 or 6 channels plus loads of foreign ones..

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I thought eurosport was on freeview/freesat.. I dunno, ive had satellite since the days of the squariel, (1989 i got sky :eek:), and four foot wide dishes. I remember eurosport launching i think. I certainly remember there only being about 5 or 6 channels plus loads of foreign ones..

It was available on analogue freesat at one point and some people can still get it until the analogue service is turned off. Definitely has never been on freeview though.

Edit: Apart from a short period with possibly TUTV that was only a handful of hours per day so doesn't really count

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
salixcycling said:
Lots of people don't have cable or sky, and of these races Freeview/Freesat only have the TdF and ToB (plus Halfords tour series). Eurosport isn't available via BT or TUTV, so the giro, vuelta, classics etc are out of the question for a lot of digitial TV viewers.

Eurosport via the internet (player) probably doesn't attract that many casual viewers into cycling.

Mmmm, I don't have a television at all. Not for the last 25 years. I'm waiting to see if it's going to catch on before I get one!;)

A

Anonymous

gutted we left exeter. the two south west stages go closer to exeter than even i thought :/