• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Britain 2014 - 07/09 - 14/09 (2.HC)

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Does Van Baarle have a time trial? Good job to hold on. Disappointing the cameras didn't focus on him much.

This year's Tour of Britain has been really well organised. A really good route which has given lots of people chances to win it. 6 man teams also make a huge difference.

Stage
Clipboard_zps9bcf5c4a.jpg

GC
Clipboard_zpse75d058f.jpg

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
JRTK73 said:
Does Van Baarle have a time trial? Good job to hold on. Disappointing the cameras didn't focus on him much.

This year's Tour of Britain has been really well organised. A really good route which has given lots of people chances to win it. 6 man teams also make a huge difference.

Van Baarle specialized in such distances at U23. So yes.

Are there intermediate time bonuses on the final road stage in London? Could be a chance to get some more seconds back.

EDIT - To answer my own question there are three intermediate sprints on the final road stage so a chance to get a further 9 seconds back. Could be a good finish!

JRanton said:
Problem is they had four groups to keep on an eye on and only three camera motorbikes (which is the standard number).

The problem is that they retained a camera on Dowsett long after it was clear that Kwiatkowski would overtake him on GC, and therefore didn't put one on Van Baarle, who had become more significant.

They didn't even have enough awareness of the race situation to record the time at which the man who was to take yellow passed the line: they only needed to turn the camera thathad followed Vermote round..

Major production fail.

JRanton said:
Are there intermediate time bonuses on the final road stage in London? Could be a chance to get some more seconds back.

EDIT - To answer my own question there are three intermediate sprints on the final road stage so a chance to get a further 9 seconds back. Could be a good finish!

Lets wait for Cavendish leading out Kwiatkowski :D

dicanio_michael said:
I doubt Kwaitkowski knows about the time gap between himself and Baarle. No sense he would not chase the time at the final 3 km :eek:

How could they. Even the DS's mostly look on their TV in the car and talk to their riders with the info they see on screen! So, not Kwiateks or their DS's fault, but only of the ToB-camera-team. Sad for him to lose a race this way, but he is my main favorite on Ponferrada now. Rode a very strong ToB and is back in form. :)

So, I could live with a second place here, if he takes the WC :D

Akuryo said:
How could they. Even the DS's mostly look on their TV in the car and talk to their riders with the info they see on screen! So, not Kwiateks or their DS's fault, but only of the ToB-camera-team. Sad for him to lose a race this way, but he is my main favorite on Ponferrada now. Rode a very strong ToB and is back in form. :)

So, I could live with a second place here, if he takes the WC :D

19 seconds is doable. And if couple are missing then he might actually go for bonuses in last stage. Cavendish leadout would be hilarious but dont think it will happen. Maybe he will just sit on Mark's wheel until the finish hoping he can take podium spot this way

Also wanted to congratulate Vermote. This stage was a nice present for his contract-extension. Made a quote that really made me smile:

Julien Vermote said:
I know my place on the team and I love to help my teammates, but it's also nice when you can go for your own result when the opportunity is there.

OPQS now has 17 different riders with a victory this season. They are the best team all around. Maybe not in all kind of races the best roster besides cobbles, but all around, they got almost 20 guys who can raise their arms during a season. That is pretty impressive. :cool: