• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Britain 5-12 September 2021

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Mostly I'll be looking out for the stunning landscapes and sights in this race. It's a beautiful route, starting in the east of Cornwall, passing through the Dartmoor National Park, the National Botanic Garden of Wales, Snowdonia, the Lake District and the North Pennines, Edinburgh and over the Cairn o'Mount.

ToB_national_map_2021.jpg

In profiles:

2:
ToB_S2_profile_final.jpg

Team time trial on stage 3:
ToB_S3_profile_final.jpg

4:
ToB_S4_profile_final.jpg

5:
ToB_S5_profile_final.jpg

6:

7:

8:
ToB_S8_profile_final.jpg

Van Aert and Alaphilippe will go head to head and prepare for the Worlds - and Ineos will try to show off in their "home Tour". Other participents are for instance Dan Martin, Marc Soler, Tobias Foss, Mikkel Honoré, Ben Tulett and Giro stage winner Mauro Schmid.
Mark Cavendish is there for the sprints.
Startlist:

More specific profiles to come, but please feel free to add some if you want to.
The scenery will be beautiful, but hopefully the sights won't include some dead bodies found here and there. Cause then we're talking Midsomer Murders, or even Lewis over at Oxford. :tearsofjoy:

Anyhoo, I need to find a way to watch this tour (already missed a couple of stages), in the meantime I'll be living vicariously through you fine folk. And pictures, posters' pictures are always appreciated.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The scenery will be beautiful, but hopefully the sights won't include some dead bodies found here and there. Cause then we're talking Midsomer Murders, or even Lewis over at Oxford. :tearsofjoy:

Anyhoo, I need to find a way to watch this tour (already missed a couple of stages), in the meantime I'll be living vicariously through you fine folk. And pictures, posters' pictures are always appreciated.

Yesterday was very foggy and one couldn't see much scenery, but today was sunny and nice. :)
The thing I love most about the British landscape is that there isn't much "furniture" on the side of the roads, for electricity and so on, that doesn't seem natural. Instead you have so many stone walls, the green growing exuberantly over the roadside, stuff like that... also there's so much land for the sheep which doesn't seem to have a clear end, instead of strictly square and defined fields for agriculture.

Yesterday was very foggy and one couldn't see much scenery, but today was sunny and nice. :)
The thing I love most about the British landscape is that there isn't much "furniture" on the side of the roads, for electricity and so on, that doesn't seem natural. Instead you have so many stone walls, the green growing exuberantly over the roadside, stuff like that... also there's so much land for the sheep which doesn't seem to have a clear end, instead of strictly square and defined fields for agriculture.
Are you in England right now?

I've only visited England once (Derby area and the Peak District), my first view of England before my plane ever landed was of sheep. Lots of sheep. They were lovely. (As was the Peak District National Park, of course.)

Last edited:
Are you in England right now?

I've only visited England once (Derby area and the Peak District), my first view of England before my plane ever landed was of sheep. Lots of sheep. They were lovely. (As was the Peak District National Park, of course.)

Unfortunately I'm not. But I fell in love with the nature over there a good while back when I lived there for a short time... wanted to see Scotland again this year, but the travel restrictions hindered me... so next year, maybe. :) Never been to Cornwall, though!

Unfortunately I'm not. But I fell in love with the nature over there a good while back when I lived there for a short time... wanted to see Scotland again this year, but the travel restrictions hindered me... so next year, maybe. :) Never been to Cornwall, though!
Scotland I think would be lovely to visit, as well as Wales. I've never had the pleasure myself...

But thankfully the riders on this tour do!

Last edited:
On a separate note, tomorrow's TTT is the second and final featuring in a men's pro race all year, the other being at Coppi e Bartali. I believe this is a record low (at least for modern cycling) - last year's Covid-ridden season still had three between Coppi e Bartali, Colombia and Czechia, and every year before that had at least one in GTs with prep races adjusting accordingly, plus the traditional Tirreno TTT. The only other higher-profile TTTs this season are the Avenir one and the Euros mixed relay. Can't say I'm sad to see the discipline slowly disappear tbh.

Last edited:
On a separate note, tomorrow's TTT is the second and final featuring in a men's pro race all year, the other being at Coppi e Bartali. I believe this is a record low (at least for modern cycling) - last year's Covid-ridden season still had three between Coppi e Bartali, Colombia and Czechia, and every year before that had at least one in GTs with prep races adjusting accordingly, plus the traditional Tirreno TTT. The only other higher-profile TTTs this season are the Avenir one and the Euros mixed relay. Can't say I'm sad to see the discipline slowly disappear tbh.
Ouch, a TTT? This could go all kinds of wrong...

You all locals keep me posted, you hear?

Just finished watching the replay on THAT site and it pissed me off that around 15 to 20k the two riders in front had the camera bike behind but the camera bike was off to the side of the peloton but during the chase towards the end got in front of the peloton for a while I think that cost Robin Carpenter anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds for a race where final results have often decided by those kind of differences for the overall win! That's disgraceful for a professional high level bike race.

P.S. I am guilty sometimes when one of my favorites is in a break and the bike helps them for a while ;) But in this case i would even be mad if Ala was hurt by this type of interference in a race. I am more mad:mad: at helping the peloton that a breakaway rider :mad: