• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Britain 5-12 September 2021

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I had to google Wilmslow as I'm not from your fine island, a rather old entry from the early 2000s said:

LEAFY Tatton - home of David and Victoria Beckham - was officially declared the posh capital of Britain today. The Cheshire constituency which encompasses Wilmslow, Knutsford and Alderley Edge, was named by Barclays as the nation's wealthiest hotspot.

Is this still true? If so it sounds like it would be a nice ride. Well, not the Beckhams part, I couldn't care less where the Beckhams reside.
If you like mixing it with tossers in enormous 4x4s

I had to google Wilmslow as I'm not from your fine island, a rather old entry from the early 2000s said:

LEAFY Tatton - home of David and Victoria Beckham - was officially declared the posh capital of Britain today. The Cheshire constituency which encompasses Wilmslow, Knutsford and Alderley Edge, was named by Barclays as the nation's wealthiest hotspot.

Is this still true? If so it sounds like it would be a nice ride. Well, not the Beckhams part, I couldn't care less where the Beckhams reside.

Did you notice the Aston Martin showroom? Very few small towns in England have one of those!
There's some very exclusive villages nearby and apart from tossers in 4x4s (as @willbick has already mentioned) it's a nice undulating area to ride around. Plus it's not far from Macclesfield which is the gateway to some good stuff.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
It's ridiculous that UK doesn't have any world tour races and no major one-day races, considering how many British riders there are. It's just a result of the historical antipathy to road racing here which just makes it harder to organise anything and i suppose the fact that we are physically separate from mainland Europe (+ brexit) makes it more difficult to get the world tour peloton racing here. The organisers of the ToB deserve a lot of credit considering
Racing in the UK only further confuses Alaphilippe which side of the road to ride on.

Did you notice the Aston Martin showroom? Very few small towns in England have one of those!
There's some very exclusive villages nearby and apart from tossers in 4x4s (as @willbick has already mentioned) it's a nice undulating area to ride around. Plus it's not far from Macclesfield which is the gateway to some good stuff.
I'm doing some furious googling, there's apparently a Macclesfield Forest in the area you mentioned, so that sounds awesome.

Alderley Edge also has a nice cobbled climb as well.

3882722_c4e99b50.jpg

I guess I don't even want to ask, but the pictures of Macclesfield Forest at least were nice.
Lol I don't mean quite what you are maybe thinking! (Although what you are thinking maybe true as well!) 'Forests' in UK originally meant a large area set aside for hunting in the olden days, not necessarily a dense wood as we now think of the word. So in the modern era a place called forest in the UK may not be particularly wooded at all

The Ride London Classic was a WT event but hasn't been on the calendar in 2020 and 2121 because of Covid.
Such an unmemorable race though and a real waste of a WT slot considering the available alternative parcours..

The Ride London men's race is dead, along with the sportive. The women's race will continue on the terrible crit circuit. (The women's race is actually down on the calendar as a 3 day race next year, but there's been no announcement of additional stages and no indication TfL is on board). If it wasn't on the Olympic route it would never have happened in the first place.

The Tour de Yorkshire is all but dead. The Women's Tour of Scotland was a disaster. The local racing scene is in decline. Frankly we should probably be praying the ToB survives rather than thinking about any more races in the UK.

The Ride London men's race is dead, along with the sportive. The women's race will continue on the terrible crit circuit. (The women's race is actually down on the calendar as a 3 day race next year, but there's been no announcement of additional stages and no indication TfL is on board). If it wasn't on the Olympic route it would never have happened in the first place.

The Tour de Yorkshire is all but dead. The Women's Tour of Scotland was a disaster. The local racing scene is in decline. Frankly we should probably be praying the ToB survives rather than thinking about any more races in the UK.

Ouch, I didn't know those races were dead or dying. I'd just presumed they were not on the calendar because of the Covid restrictions as with the national road race championships.
That's bad. Tour of Britain has been great so far.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Yeah, we don't much (or anything really) about their plans for the additional stages are yet, but hopefully they will be revealed in due time, if the race is going to be held.

100% The local authorities along with the police basically do not want racing on the roads. They think cyclists should be on tracks ala the velodrome. There's more tracks like York, Brownlee, Croft, Tameside etc racing now than road racing.

TRENDING THREADS