• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of CA moved to May. Excellent.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bianchigirl - You bring up a good point, but how well do you know California? There are many, many mountainous roads in the state, and not just in the remote eastern Sierras or the Everett Memorial climb up Shasta. It's not just a few ski areas.

The problem is going to be the crowds. They could design any race they want, one that would be perfect prep for the Tour, but if they do, will the fans show up? That's the problem. And that's why they are likely to have more circuit races. :(

As to Giro training you are completely correct. Until Lance came along, riders more often rode the Giro, or even like Indurain pulled off a Giro-Tour double (Mig did twice, nearly three times). Lance made the Tour the only race that mattered in all of cycling, and diminished the importance of the Giro and Vuelta even. After Lance left, it was starting to look like the Giro and Vuelta were perhaps gaining some stature back, and while Lance is riding the Giro this year for the first time, he's only doing it for the training, and to win a stage perhaps or get the Maglia Rosa after the TTT for publicity reasons. Should Lance race next year, I'm all but certain he'll go back to his 1999-2005 training ways and race a few spring races, then train on Tour roads in effort to win the Tour. Then take the rest of the season off.

Can't wait for the guy to finally retire and disappear. Or hopefully, just see him lose.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe, I don't know California at all but look at what's just happened in the Giro with the pulling of the Blockhaus finish. Ski stations make good MTF finishes because the infrastructure is there for the village, TV, team buses etc etc. Even one MTF would be better than the parcours at present - and only a challenging parcours will begin to persuade the GC contenders to up sticks and fly thousands of miles outside their comfort zone - and, as you speculate, that may not be what the crowd wants.

bianchigirl said:
Ski stations make good MTF finishes because the infrastructure is there for the village, TV, team buses etc etc. Even one MTF would be better than the parcours at present -

Agreed about the parcours - you've got to have a MTF. I was so exited to hear they added Palomar this year but then they didn't finish there like we'd originally heard. Actually they've gone over some nice and fairly difficult terrain, but they always end the races with those stupid, flat circuits. Good point about the ski station infrastructure. I hadn't thought about that.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I like the way the whole lot of you's are planning California's tourist attractions and based on?

Remember, the state already has its huge tourist season, guess when? When the weather is good, yea any day the weather is nice the masses come out. Now add to it the Tour of Cali. You think we complain now add the masses during those months and their voices will drown out US based cycling in a nano-second! Because their bucks add up to way more than 10 times the amount any Tour of Cali will gather, that is why. The business associated with those tourist will also echo the same complaint if roads are closed to their establishments and venues.

Good luck Tour of Cali! You're gonna need it.

True. But Mt. Baldy ends at a ski area, as does Bear Pass. Many more that will be open by May. Crystal Springs ends at a recreation area (and has a rec area down the hill as well), and a stage easily could go over a big climb and end just after that in a town like Angeles Oaks. Some of these are pretty out of the way and won't disrupt tourism much at all. But it also is a balance - if they're too far out of the way, will crowds show up to watch?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
True. But Mt. Baldy ends at a ski area, as does Bear Pass. Many more that will be open by May. Crystal Springs ends at a recreation area (and has a rec area down the hill as well), and a stage easily could go over a big climb and end just after that in a town like Angeles Oaks. Some of these are pretty out of the way and won't disrupt tourism much at all. But it also is a balance - if they're too far out of the way, will crowds show up to watch?

Given US knack for tailgaiting, I would have expected MTF to be an instant hit here, no matter what Mt ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The move to May will either succeed beyond their expectations, or fail miserably - certainly can do no worse (but definitely better with weather and attendance) than racing in February.

If the teams and sponsors want to put on a show, and the money and accommodations are right, the ToC will continue.

Makes no diff to me when they hold the race. If I have the time and money to attend, I'll be there. Same as for the TdF or the ToE or the TdU. It's cycling for ****s sake.

Agree Tifosi - but even with the miserable weather about 1 mil people showed up (they say 2 mil, but 1 mil is more like it).

Keep in mind we're not likely looking at 3-4 MTFs. More likely one, somewhere like Mt. Baldy or Crystal Lake. They could make a stage climb over a big pass though in the San Gabriels, and have the finish close to the bottom of the other side of course, that would still split things up pretty well.

One fun finish to a stage could be at the top of either Fargo, Baxter or Eldred streets (a combo of two back to back could be made) in Echo Park of LA. All three are very short but super steep - over 30% gradient. This would be a little like F-L riding into Huy...

Here's a vid of Fargo.

Here's a still of it:

3357370870_afba075e83.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I like the riders at the bottom who look like they are doing some extreme zig zagging. They look like they are perpendicular to the road.

I think the guy on the left, on erm off the red bike, and who had decided to wear his amazing hipster washed out black jeans, is sliding downhill... Now imagine doing that on a fixie ;)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
My question is, would anybody have Catalunya as a PT race in the first place? I have the best feeling it would be better served as a Continental race.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I can only hope that the TdC, if it moves to May, does not get the quality field it has had recently. It would show the Americans that they just cannot take over world sport as they appear to want to do.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't think moving the race from Feb to May will make the race any more of a success.
I just think that California is just a wrong place to hold a stage race. I watched the race this year for the first time and have to say it was sucha boring race to watch. It was mainly a race from one big town to another with nothing inbetween. Flat country side with 1 decent lumpy stage.
Those city center circuits where crap too. Along with the terrible camera work and bad quality.
Why is it the Europeans can broadcast a race in poor weather but the Americans can't?
The only hope the ToC has is when every americans fav starts his own team and turns up, that way you'll get the crowds.
Im afraid no one in europe will ever be taking the race seriously.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Rosedale said:
I can only hope that the TdC, if it moves to May, does not get the quality field it has had recently. It would show the Americans that they just cannot take over world sport as they appear to want to do.

On the other hand, if it's true that UCI and the ToC organisers are working together more and more, ie intending to make ToC a warm up for the TdF, it could be a smart move. LA's team will probably come, Garmin and Columbia, who knows even Rabobank (they were a big sponsor at this years ToC, probably because the bank wants to get a foot on the ground in te US, and in this climate, everyone wants a trusty dutch ban ;)

The tradition however speaks against this idea. Teams just don't travel during the cycling season. Most pros/teams already live in Europe (Spain, Italy, Belgium, France, Switzerland) and try to get their k's in on local European roads. It wouldn't make sense to break up camp and move to the US for 2 weeks to do a race that will be comparable to the Dauphine.

ukpaul said:
I don't think moving the race from Feb to May will make the race any more of a success.
I just think that California is just a wrong place to hold a stage race. I watched the race this year for the first time and have to say it was sucha boring race to watch. It was mainly a race from one big town to another with nothing inbetween. Flat country side with 1 decent lumpy stage.

That's why it's a good thing to move it.

California has seasons

The terrain that is available to the race in May will be mind blowing. It's the most beautiful and varied state you could imagine. From the vineyards of the coastal hills to huge, pine forested mountain passes to eerie desert roads. It has everything.

Hopefully, people like you who don't seem to have a clue about this will get more of an idea of what California has.

ukpaul said:
Those city center circuits where crap too.

Obviously, you haven't been to California. It has the most varied terrain of any state in the US - multiple mountain ranges, desert, jagged coastline, beaches, redwood forests, plains, vineyards...California is absolutely gorgeous.

That said, the organizers have to utilize the best areas. I don't think they've done an awful job, but their choices have been disappointing at times. I have to agree with you on those flat circuit finishes - really lame. I think one issue is that the US just doesn't have the cycling culture of Belgium, Italy, etc... and the organizers feel like they need those ending circuits in decent sized towns to make the race work financially.

Also agreed that the race just hasn't been as exciting as your typical week long European race, mostly due to route choices.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Guys I'm not having a dig at the state of California. Im sure alot of states have great looking countryside. What I want to watch is good racing, The ToC hasnt provided that. By moving the race to May will change nothing.

ukpaul said:
Guys I'm not having a dig at the state of California. Im sure alot of states have great looking countryside. What I want to watch is good racing, The ToC hasnt provided that. By moving the race to May will change nothing.

Wake up!

It will allow use of more of the fantastic mountain scenery due to there being almost 99% guaranteed good weather!