• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of California prizemoney

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Saw Michael Rogers with the giant cheque with the prizemoney.......you would think the organisers would be embarrassed to present it. It was for $21,000. The same weekend an Aussie kid won a golf tournament and the news said he was $1.4m richer. I cannot even begin to fathom why there should be such a disparity in earnings.

MadBarry said:
Saw Michael Rogers with the giant cheque with the prizemoney.......you would think the organisers would be embarrassed to present it. It was for $21,000. The same weekend an Aussie kid won a golf tournament and the news said he was $1.4m richer. I cannot even begin to fathom why there should be such a disparity in earnings.

Well two things.

First of all, cyclists, as members of a team, get paid a salary, golfers don't. Obviously many golfers have sponsorhip deals that net them far more money than even the richest tournament prize pools do, but that is neither here nor there. Just because corporations see far more benefit in paying a golfer millions, or paying a tournament millions to give (in part) to the players themselves is not the fault of the ToC organizers.

Secondly, given that the Tour of California probably doesn't generate a whole lot of revenue (or at least I don't see how they were able to turn a profit this year after paying off the whole sports media to not write up how ridiculous is it for the ToC to be considered a 4th GT) a $21k bonus for the winner is, in my eyes, pretty decent. Cycling isn't, and has never been, a wealthy sport you know.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
My point is that I would not have presented a giant cheque like it was a big deal. Sometime soon we need to accept that these pro cyclists are superstars with a short time at the top. I think another zero on the cheque may be a bit more like it.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Secondly, given that the Tour of California probably doesn't generate a whole lot of revenue (or at least I don't see how they were able to turn a profit this year after paying off the whole sports media to not write up how ridiculous is it for the ToC to be considered a 4th GT) a $21k bonus for the winner is, in my eyes, pretty decent. Cycling isn't, and has never been, a wealthy sport you know.

There's two issues here -

1) is $21,000 an appropriate amount of prizemoney for the winner.
2) did it make sense to make the cheque a prominent part of the presentation.

On question 1, I'd expect the prizemoney is almost irrelevant compared to the commercial exposure that Columbia-HTC got with Rogers winning the tour.

On question 2, handing over a ceremonial cheque with such a piddling amount of money for the overall winner makes the event look rather small-time. A distinctive trophy would look a lot better on TV.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
MadBarry said:
My point is that I would not have presented a giant cheque like it was a big deal. Sometime soon we need to accept that these pro cyclists are superstars with a short time at the top. I think another zero on the cheque may be a bit more like it.
I am sure the organizers would be happy if you were willing to send them $200K USD to present to the winner next year.

rgmerk said:
There's two issues here -

1) is $21,000 an appropriate amount of prizemoney for the winner.
2) did it make sense to make the cheque a prominent part of the presentation.

On question 1, I'd expect the prizemoney is almost irrelevant compared to the commercial exposure that Columbia-HTC got with Rogers winning the tour.

On question 2, handing over a ceremonial cheque with such a piddling amount of money for the overall winner makes the event look rather small-time. A distinctive trophy would look a lot better on TV.

Hey, if you've got a bunch of 'piddling' $21k cheques lying around, I'll happily accept them. :p

If the 'exposure' that Columbia & HTC got is worth so much to them, then it is up to Bob Stapleton yo go to them and demand more money from them to continue the sponsorship. That'll allow him to pay his employees more. Because that's what Rogers and Cavendish & Co. are. They're Bob Stapleton's employees, and Stapleton gets that money from Columbia and HTC and Scott and some other 'lesser' sponsors. If Rogers is unhappy about how much he gets paid, then I suggest he tries seeing how much Katusha or Astana or BMC might pay him.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
That's a low amount for the worlds 2nd greatest grand tour. Surely some mistake???

LOL, such a booooooooring race.

I'm not sure what kind of cycling you're used to watch, but it was hardly a tour. Should try and see one of this weeks stages in the Giro.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Jux1893 said:

I'm not sure what kind of cycling you're used to watch, but it was hardly a tour. Should try and see one of this weeks stages in the Giro.

so much fail in this comment :eek:

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
That's a low amount for the worlds 2nd greatest grand tour. Surely some mistake???

i lol'd

Jux1893 said:

i lol'd harder

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Jux1893 said:

Hardly an important GT, but also hardly boring, try taking your head out of your **** for a minute

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
MadBarry said:

Agreed, seeing that those cheques probably cost $300-$500 its a bit of a hoax to hand out $21k. Hells teeth! Some crits in the USA get you more than that in a little over an hour.

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What was the ToC budget?

What was the total budget for that race, anyone know? Where did it go? Just how much daily stipend do those teams get?

TRENDING THREADS