• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Croatia 2017

Tour of Croatia
18.04. - 23.04.2017
erUzU3r.jpg

stage 1: Osijek – Koprivnica, 227 km

40a05bc2fa2409afcf1e8b6578233f12.jpg

b51020378558a7da3cd9b6bb80c787f3.jpg

stage 2: Trogir – Biokovo (Sveti Jure), 123 km

c284f37adb7e6b1078227122fc76b88c.jpg

21fa2dc6e0700d9b49a6e02a94210282.jpg

Sveti Jure:
CbDHoP2.png

6ISnSf4.png

BBZQ2VA.png

stage 3: Imotski – Zadar, 237 km

bd60ad31b6404b01e184cf902a25e400.jpg

624eb6215e8a3ff89b3459dc709351d5.jpg

stage 4: Crikvenica – Umag, 171 km

9ea05dac90a69392ef1b55fbad7bb495.jpg

e89cced7afaf60f51c7b5e2aff056fd2.jpg

stage 5: Poreč – Učka (Poklon), 141 km

d2e9c5d954ab0b0a238561715742858b.jpg

9ff86c9aa8a14bf8818a0edd8983f436.jpg

haQXcQd.png

stage 6: Samobor – Zagreb, 147 km

12c8aadb38be6cadd3fee4b2b1b73b69.jpg

68331a505c9e60162ea89bb8f5fbc25e.jpg

Startlist

Probably a better warmup race than Trentino, but still disappointed that Nibali will ride this instead. What a disappointing rider lately, maybe he can redeem himself against the likes of Jesper Hansen, Rogina and Jaime Roson.... But he most likely won't.

Osijek
TK9g8Xx.jpg

Koprivnica
g7kcaaB.jpg

Trogir
zasebni-apartmaji-trogir-okolje1-1024x768.jpg

lNXQ5oI.jpg

Biokovo (Sveti Jure)
biokovo-panorama-harvepino-fotolia.com.jpg

naturpark-biokovo_kueste_01.jpg

26768591.jpg

(I didn't use Sveti Jure for my Kakanien Rundfahrt because i was convinced there wasn't enough room at the top. Apparently i was wrong.)
20_full.jpg

Imotski
modro-jezero-imotski.jpg

Zadar
zadar_panorama-altstadt_01.jpg

Crikvenica
LvR1GGK.jpg

Umag
urbana-umag01.jpg

Poreč
QPcZcg3.jpg

Učka (Poklon)
hsWqrv6.jpg

Samobor
aoRmcLC.jpg

Zagreb
sWwNaW7.jpg

For reference: Nibali in prep races

2009: 7th overall DL
2010: 3rd overall in Burgos
2011: 23rd overall in Trentino, 34th overall in Pologne
2012: 28th overall in the DL
2013: 1st overall in Trentino, 53rd overall in Pologne
2014: 7th overall in the DL
2015: 12th overall in the DL
2016: 21st overall in Trentino

Conclusion, if he top 10's he'll be okay :D

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Interesting pacours, though... can't imagine the riders are too thrilled with those transfers. Then again; nobody's forcing them to come.

On stage two, the profile showing the last three Ks, what's that weird spike? (at around 2 K to go.)
Yeah...
It's a nasty little pitch gaining, around, 120 metres in altitude in, about, hundred of metres of road.
... To roll over on the back.

Max Rockatansky said:
Carols said:
Stage 2 looks pretty tough for a guy who has no race kms in his legs for such a long time. Hopefully Nibali isn't found truly wanting on the second stage!

30 kilometers of climbing. This is almost as difficult as Galibier from Saint Michel de Maurienne.

Great OP, my friend. :)
Nibali will drop after 5 kilometres, tell us he rides on his SRM-data, can't go above threshold while Slongo will proceed to tell us all to calm down because he knows what he is doing. After all he has worked together with some of the best. Calling it!

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
A few cents from a almost native....

Croatia is shaped like a crucifix, and while it does not have the french disease (finish in Paris with NO challenges nearby) it gives a tricky layout.
The Tour could opt for a East-West or South-North approach for different years - or might even do a North-South with a final evening TT below the walls (or on them) of Kings Landing... ehhh.. Dubrovnik!

Stage 1: fair design, but a 5-6 hours transfer (by road) or 2 hours by air (which I doubt is in the budget) - linking to the above...

Stage 2: Brutal finish 1650 meter gain on 28 km. thats 5,9% quite similar to a Col de la Bonette South.
As faunieras profile shows espeically the middle piece of 10km is tough, and the riders should be happy for that the Croatian July heat is not baking on them.

Regarding the space - I will tune in on the stage to see how they will pull this one off - This literally makes Gamonteiro look like Champs Elysse.
QYQw1J0.png

Stage 3 & 4: Long designs - solid hard fought breakaway action vs. hunting peleton.

Stage 5:
The Good: They will do the monsterside of Ucka - same gradiant and 300 meters shorter than the famous Alpe
VojakW.gif
5km of 10,2%
The Bad: They will only climb the first but also hardest part (turning with 5.8 to go)
The Ugly: They will finish on the usual side - but even lower than last year until the Vela Ucka mark
VojakSE.gif

As the first MTF is of the diesel type, it would suite the race to have a more explosive 2nd MTF....

Stage 6: a bit of a transfer again - and they could do more to indorporate the hilly mountain north of Zagreb instead of going around. Zagreb is kind of unique - thats it is one of few capitals of Europe with a proper hill/2nd Cat mountain next door for WCRR route...

Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
sir fly said:
Red Rick said:
Lets stick to the English shall we.
C'mon, man... We're discussing the race name, as it's been done in race threads lately, and it can't really be translated into English.
Well... It can, but loses a lot of spirit, and it's primarily addressed to those who can understand it in original.
I laughed, if that's any consolation.
Off course it is!
How you've managed to understand it? You, surely, couldn't appreciate the reply to Denis Menchov in fullness (if you saw it).

sir fly said:
Libertine Seguros said:
sir fly said:
Red Rick said:
Lets stick to the English shall we.
C'mon, man... We're discussing the race name, as it's been done in race threads lately, and it can't really be translated into English.
Well... It can, but loses a lot of spirit, and it's primarily addressed to those who can understand it in original.
I laughed, if that's any consolation.
Off course it is!
How you've managed to understand it? You, surely, couldn't appreciate the reply to Denis Menchov in fullness (if you saw it).
I only saw the original joke, didn't catch the responses from it. I read Cyrillic, speak some Russian, and know enough Slavic word stock to have got the meaning of it even though Serbian is South Slavonic, which I don't have prior experience with.

Libertine Seguros said:
I only saw the original joke, didn't catch the responses from it. I read Cyrillic, speak some Russian, and know enough Slavic word stock to have got the meaning of it even though Serbian is South Slavonic, which I don't have prior experience with.
Yes, knowing the alphabet and any Slavic language should've been enough for understanding.
Did you find it difficult getting used to Cyrilic alphabet when you've learnt it?

TRENDING THREADS