• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Oman (2.HC) 13.02.-18.02.2018

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Geraint Too Fast said:
Who saw that coming? :surprised:

I'd say that's Coquard's most impressive win.
Yep, I was about to post the same words.
DV6h1niWkAAOp24

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Escarabajo said:
WheelofGear said:
Velolover2 said:
I don't think steepness is an issue for Lopéz. Obviously, he is not great at 1k or 2k muritos. He is no puncheur after all, he is a climber. But on longer, steep climbs.. he is great.

Green Mountain isn't a murito? :rolleyes:
Green Mountain is not a Murito.
Lopez won the stage that finished at Rettenbachferner in Suisse.

It all depends on fitness level at this time of the year.
No, he did not.

However Superga is not that different. Lopez should be fine.
Ooops!
I realize now that it was Tejay.
Anyway he should be fine if in form.

WheelofGear said:
Velolover2 said:
WheelofGear said:
fauniera said:
WheelofGear said:
Green Mountain is normally too steep and punchy for Superman
What?
Never seen Superman been great on super steep climbs. He seems to be better if it's 7-8%.

Look no further than the Vuelta last year.
I don't think steepness is an issue for Lopéz. Obviously, he is not great at 1k or 2k muritos. He is no puncheur after all, he is a climber. But on longer, steep climbs.. he is great.

Green Mountain isn't a murito? :rolleyes:

Green Mountain is too long in my book. I don't consider climbs over 4k to be murs, even if they are steep.

Velolover2 said:
Frankschleck said:
its mafde for kragh tomorrow. Gva and lutensko and maybe coquard problay be close to in my opinion.
Way, way to hard for Coquard. Look at the past winners. Even the puncheurs were struggling last year.

It was a bit different finish last year: https://www.steephill.tv/players/720/twitter/?title=A+new+uphill+finish+could+change+the+race+tactic+for+Stage+2&dashboard=tour-of-oman&id=tourofoman/status/831758863728783361&yr=2017

Damiano said:
Velolover2 said:
Frankschleck said:
its mafde for kragh tomorrow. Gva and lutensko and maybe coquard problay be close to in my opinion.
Way, way to hard for Coquard. Look at the past winners. Even the puncheurs were struggling last year.

It was a bit different finish last year: https://www.steephill.tv/players/720/twitter/?title=A+new+uphill+finish+could+change+the+race+tactic+for+Stage+2&dashboard=tour-of-oman&id=tourofoman/status/831758863728783361&yr=2017
It's still way too hard. The first climb in the middle of the stage is hardcore. 4k at almost 10% followed by two smaller Mur De Huy-light climbs.

No sprinter is gonna make it. GVA, Haas and Felline can make it to the finish, but that's where I draw the line.

Velolover2 said:
Damiano said:
Velolover2 said:
Frankschleck said:

It's still way too hard. The first climb in the middle of the stage is hardcore. 4k at almost 10% followed by two smaller Mur De Huy-light climbs.

No sprinter is gonna make it. GVA, Haas and Felline can make it to the finish, but that's where I draw the line.
The stage was more or less the same when Jungels and Cancellara won. Only a tad too much for Coquard.

Velolover2 said:
Damiano said:
Velolover2 said:
Frankschleck said:

Honestly, I think it all depends on the wind. Back in 2014 Greipel won and 82 riders were in the group. But yes, if the wind is like it often is, it will probably be to much for Coquard (at this time of the season.)