• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Oman (2.HC) 17th Feb - 22nd Feb

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Coat-O said:
How big is the chance that Kristoff is gonna take the stage? 50%?

It is really only Bouhanni who can beat him, but Kristoff seems to be a much better shape. I don't think Sagan can beat him in a flat sprint.

With better timing Sagan would have beat him in one of the Qatar sprints, only an inch in it on the line.

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
CatchyH said:
I heard the finish is slightly uphill, so it may be a bit more interesting.

Could Bennett spring another surprise here for Bora. He said he wasn't fully flat out taking the last stage in Qatar. And he has a really good kick on an uphill finish. Will be very hard to outsprint Kristoff though.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Our thoughts are with Goddaerts family at this difficult time.

Tomorrow's stage looks a bit more interesting than today.Two KOM climbs in the last 30k which may or may not get rid of some of the sprinters.Looks on paper like a stage for Sagan/Kristoff/GVA etc but others in the mix too.

What do we think of these two 'classified' climbs?

And today's winner is.... the rider with the funny hat.
20150217208_20150217TOO0035-b.jpg

@Tournesol: agree, this could be an entertaining finish.

GVA or maybe Costa for me.

Profile reminder (stage 2):

PROFIL.jpg

Tournesol said:
What do we think of these two 'classified' climbs?

they are identical as last year and the year before. In 2014 it came down to a bunch sprint Greipel won, in 2013 it was way more selective, Contador attacked on the climb, got caught on the descent, and Sagan won solo.

This year the stage finishes at the former 1km mark though, so the distance from the summit to the finish is 5.5km instead of 6.5, and the stage itself is way longer (50km additional), which might lead to a more selective race

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
search said:
they are identical as last year and the year before. In 2014 it came down to a bunch sprint Greipel won, in 2013 it was way more selective, Contador attacked on the climb, got caught on the descent, and Sagan won solo.

This year the stage finishes at the former 1km mark though, so the distance from the summit to the finish is 5.5km instead of 6.5, and the stage itself is way longer (50km additional), which might lead to a more selective race

Thanks for the info,could be an interesting finale.Sagan will like this as previous years show but could even see Nibali have a go here,its a finish that should appeal to a broad cross section of attacking riders one would think.

Hope its not a bunch sprint.

Yeah I think a pure sprinter wont win its bit too much today, for some reason three italians came to mind as outsiders, Pozzatto, Battaglin and Colbrelli. All 3 could handle themselves here , 2 have least gone close already this season

manafana said:
Yeah I think a pure sprinter wont win its bit too much today, for some reason three italians came to mind as outsiders, Pozzatto, Battaglin and Colbrelli. All 3 could handle themselves here , 2 have least gone close already this season

I guess Bardiani will ride for Sonny anyway.
This could be very selective though. Even Valverde has a chance.