• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Romandie 2013

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
If today says anything about how Kruijswijk and Gesink compare now in their form, they should definitely have Kruijswijk for a captain. Kruijswijk's biggest strength is his recovery and he's just twice as good in the third week, at least he was in his previous two Giro's. If he starts in good shape, where he doesn't lose too much time, he could definitely do very well if he's best in the third week again.

Then again, let's just wait and see how Gesink, Kruijswijk and Kelderman will do coming week before drawing any conclusions. Normally Gesink should climb the same or better than Kruijswijk and do a better flat TT, and TAWK has always been excellent in prologues/short TT's.

It's a very good result by Kruijswijk though, looking forward to see how he'll do in the tough mountain stage.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Same will happen in Giro probably, this is a big year if he fails then he cant make excuses can he.

You can't make overall conclusions concerning his form, but I'd say he'll lose a heap of time in the MTT of the Giro.

serfla said:
Contador is finished.
The moment he realized Froome is a real deal (since Oman) he's going downwards.
As numerous time mentioned, the true character of a rider you can see when it's not all sunshine and roses.
I'm sure Contador sees in Froome an opponent he haven't seen before, and that's making him anxious.

If what you were saying were truly the case he would've folded and gave up when Purito was matching his every move in last years' Vuelta.

He would've done the same in 2011 at the Tour when he had multiple crashes instead of making his epic attack on the stage that finished at Alpe d'Huez.

This is just the dream scenario in your own little world that Contador is this weak-minded athlete that faced with adversity would simply crumble and quit.

Angliru said:
If what you were saying were truly the case he would've folded and gave up when Purito was matching his every move in last years' Vuelta.

He would've done the same in 2011 at the Tour when he had multiple crashes instead of making his epic attack on the stage that finished at Alpe d'Huez.

This is just the dream scenario in your own little world that Contador is this weak-minded athlete that faced with adversity would simply crumble and quit.

yes. He ain't no quitter.

serfla said:
As long as he's convinced he's the best - he copes with problems well.
That doesn't seem to be the case this spring.

I don't see him as having coping issues. If in fact he is no longer the best (stage racer) and the events of this early season are an indication of that how does that translate for you into him having coping issues? He's continued to compete and battle with his adversaries in the races that he's ridden. He's not riding in with the broomwagon and autobus as if on a training ride.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:

I've already clarified my claim, but here it is again, especially for you, since Flo, to whom it was originally appointed, doesn't respond, but waits for someone's else reply in order to avoid discussion and redirect it.
Contador is more mentally fragile than Schleck.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
I don't see him as having coping issues. If in fact he is no longer the best (stage racer) and the events of this early season are an indication of that how does that translate for you into him having coping issues? He's continued to compete and battle with his adversaries in the races that he's ridden. He's not riding in with the broomwagon and autobus as if on a training ride.
I see you've find the clarification.
Next time, please first read everything, and then make a comment.
He's finding excuses, complaining about choice of races that management is making and finishing lower and lower, we haven't seen it before from him.
That's how I translate it in having coping issues.

serfla said:
I've already clarified my claim, but here it is again, especially for you, since Flo, to whom it was originally appointed, doesn't respond, but waits for someone's else reply in order to avoid discussion and redirect it.

Okay as an example of your own mental fortitude how would you, if faced with similar circumstances as Contador, deal with the challenge that he faces?
I'm curious to see what exactly that Contador has done in the past few months that is such a blinding example of his mental fragility.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
:D
Why can't we all just get along an cheer for Nibali shall we? No more bickering hm?
I can't like him after the comment about usage of power meters.
It sounded really like a cheap excuse of a helpless rider, and even more senseless and pathetic after following stages.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Wihich riders do you like agin? :rolleyes::p
Schleck.
The "whiner" is just an etiquette labeled to him, substantiated with tendentious interpretations of circumstances.
Those who labeled him the etiquette, now have the opportunity to see to whom it's appropriate.

serfla said:
I see you've find the clarification.
Next time, please first read everything, and then make a comment.
He's finding excuses, complaining about choice of races that management is making and finishing lower and lower, we haven't seen it before from him.
That's how I translate it in having coping issues.

I hadn't heard of any of complaints of management decisions in terms of his races. I've heard him trying to answer questions regarding why he is feeling fatigued and grasping for answers/explanations. You see them as excuses. I see them as a riding trying to reason as to why it is he's struggling. If asked questions pertaining to one's results results or lack thereof compared to their past years if a reason isn't readily evident one would try to analyze the situation. He seems just as baffled as anyone else thus the "excuses" as you call them. He's not just finishing behind Froome and Porte but riders that he's been superior to in the past, some far superior to. Of course I admit that I am biased but such a noticeable drop in performance isn't an example of coping issues/mental fragility but more so of something else.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
This is why I didn't reply to you. You're a troll. At least give us some evidence.
The course of this spring is the evidence.
And no, you didn't avoid the reply because of that.

Everything I write, I support with arguments. Unlike you.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
serfla said:

The guy is probably mentally the strongest in the Peleton. He had a stroke, had to deal with lance, whole clen scenario and won throughout it all. Can you clarify why you think Schleck is stronger?

serfla said:
The course of this spring is the evidence.
And no, you didn't avoid the reply because of that.

Everything I write, I support with arguments. Unlike you.

What? this spring is evidence that he's mentally fragile? What?

That's just YOUR interpretation:rolleyes: he's not in shape this season for some reason or another. You can't push your interpretation down everyone's throat as the truth

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
I hadn't heard of any of complaints of management decisions in terms of his races. I've heard him trying to answer questions regarding why he is feeling fatigued and grasping for answers/explanations. You see them as excuses. I see them as a riding trying to reason as to why it is he's struggling. If asked questions pertaining to one's results results or lack thereof compared to their past years if a reason isn't readily evident one would try to analyze the situation. He seems just as baffled as anyone else thus the "excuses" as you call them. He's not just finishing behind Froome and Porte but riders that he's been superior to in the past, some far superior to. Of course I admit that I am biased but such a noticeable drop in performance isn't an example of coping issues/mental fragility but more so of something else.
Here is a complain.
Saxo-Tinkoff wanted me to be there and of course they are races everybody likes to do, even if when you’re building up for the Tour de France it’s perhaps better not to [race them]. But it’s only another week of racing, so I’ll try to do as well as possible.
There's even more in this sentece, but I don't want to ramble.
As for coping, I won't elaborate on that. It would take too much time and space here.
I'll just say it involves terms like self-confidence and motivation. The rest you'll have to figure out by yourself.

serfla said:
Schleck.
The "whiner" is just an etiquette labeled to him, substantiated with tendentious interpretations of circumstances.
Those who labeled him the etiquette, now have the opportunity to see to whom it's appropriate.

Is Andy being labeled a "whiner" so different than your interpretation of Contador making excuses (i.e. whining) by you? What makes one right and one wrong?

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
The guy is probably mentally the strongest in the Peleton. He had a stroke, had to deal with lance, whole clen scenario and won throughout it all. Can you clarify why you think Schleck is stronger?
Stroke and Lance have nothing to do with it.
The fact that he doesn't feel he's the strongest anymore does.

I won't clarify you anything.
Even plainly written comments you read one-sided.

TRENDING THREADS