• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of the Alps 2021 (April 19th-23rd)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What are you keeping your eye on during the Tour of the Alps?

• who's going to win

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • a youngster or outsider the thread-starter didn't even know existed

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • the scenery

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • who's in form for the Giro

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • whether Anton Palzer is the new LeMond

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • whether Bernal's back is good

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • whether Pinot's back is good

• whether Hindley will have to wait for Bardet when he's in for a podium

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • whether Hindley will have to put on a rain jacket

• your girl/boyfriend/Netflix

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wasnt very impressed by Ineos ..I know Moscon is going well but the others are neither here nor there

Sosa what is up with him ? He si never the same two days in a row
Martinez looks good but not that good and Shivakov cant stay on his bike
And we hear Bernal still has back problems
I know that they official reason is that one of his legs is shoter than the other one and that he got a muscular imbalace over the years, but I guess that the rather extreme position with a really hunched lower back that he adopted at Ineos (since 2019) when climbing nearly always seated and grinding a big gear wasn't beneficial either.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I know that they official reason is that one of his legs is shoter than the other one and that he got a muscular imbalace over the years, but I guess that the rather extreme position with a really hunched lower back that he adopted at Ineos (since 2019) when climbing nearly always seated and grinding a big gear wasn't beneficial either.
They really dropped the ball on marginal gains in the last few years.

The improvement continues: Froome 73rd
He is absolutely ready for the Tour du Rwanda :p

Froome's last stage results:

Catalunya Stage 6 - 130th to 139th position
Catalunya Stage 7 - 120th to 129th
Alps Stage 1 - 110th to 119th
Alps Stage 2 - 100th to 109th
Alps Stage 3 - 90th to 99th
Alps Stage 4 - 80th to 89th
Alps Stage 5 - 70th to 79th

Consistent progression. He will finish Romandie TT on the top-20 and will be ready to fight for the win in his next stage race.

Froome's last stage results:

Catalunya Stage 6 - 130th to 139th position
Catalunya Stage 7 - 120th to 129th
Alps Stage 1 - 110th to 119th
Alps Stage 2 - 100th to 109th
Alps Stage 3 - 90th to 99th
Alps Stage 4 - 80th to 89th
Alps Stage 5 - 70th to 79th

Consistent progression. He will finish Romandie TT on the top-20 and will be ready to fight for the win in his next stage race.

Joke post? Yes? No?

In stage 5 he actually finished 10:13 behind in a small group of 15 riders who placed between the the 71st & 85th positions. So Froome essentially did the same time as the guy who finished 85th on the day: Standings - Tour of the Alps

He's terrible.

The way Martin descended today he never would've won that stage.

Imagine you're the team leader, leading all your teammates in GC & making up time on the final stage... & you see your teammate pulling/twiddling his thumbs in the breakaway when you're alone a few seconds behind. Ouch. That was Dan Martin staring at De Marchi's backside up the road today.

TBH, Martinez looked solid. I guess that's the hierarchy of the team. Second stage he soft pedaled to the finish. Fourth stage you know what happened. I guess he understands what his position is at Ineos but I am sure he could have done a lot better.

I take it that this was his role for this tour after being ruled out of pretty much the whole pre-season so far due to falling on his knee. After this Tour of the Alps i assume that he will start at least in the same role as Sivakov in the Giro. Ineos would be smart to keep Martinez high up in the GC in the Giro in my opinion.

Were they also commenting on the restaurants?

I like Riva, just in the off-season, i.e. not summer. It's great in April/May. I think the reason there's a lot of Germanic stuff is that it's just below the German-Italian region, so you get some overlap.

Regarding the race, Yates was head and shoulders (well, even though he's shorter) than the rest. Sivakov was a disappointment to me. I still don't know what Ineos will do with Martinez -- he sure didn't look like a domestique, more like a GC man -- and poor Froome/Pinot are not looking good. I also think that Bardet and Quintana have passed their primes and won't get back to that level again.

Imagine you're the team leader, leading all your teammates in GC & making up time on the final stage... & you see your teammate pulling/twiddling his thumbs in the breakaway when you're alone a few seconds behind. Ouch. That was Dan Martin staring at De Marchi's backside up the road today.

The GC was over with already. This stage was all about chasing the stagewin and it would make no sense to have De Marchi sacrifice the chance of winning in order to help Dan Martin.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS