• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of the Alps 2021 (April 19th-23rd)

What are you keeping your eye on during the Tour of the Alps?

• who's going to win

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • a youngster or outsider the thread-starter didn't even know existed

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • the scenery

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • who's in form for the Giro

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • whether Anton Palzer is the new LeMond

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • whether Bernal's back is good

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • whether Pinot's back is good

• whether Hindley will have to wait for Bardet when he's in for a podium

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • whether Hindley will have to put on a rain jacket

• your girl/boyfriend/Netflix

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
giro-del-trentino.jpg

Start
Brixen.jpg

Finish
RTEmagicC_Riva_del_Garda_-_Shutterstock.jpg.jpg

You may say it's early, but I'm saying it's the Tour of the Alps!

An elite field, ripped of the two Super-Slovenians Primoz I. and Tadej I., but with old/ last year's superstar Jai Hindley and coming super-superstar Anton Palzer who will ride through the most beautiful places in the world, well, Europe and battle to become the successor of Francesco Moser, Gianni Bugno, Vincenzo Nibali and ... Pavel Sivakov.

tour-of-the-alps-2021-map-954bd275eb.png

They will start in Brixen / Bressanone, pass the Brenner (unfortunately Marco won't be there to take say Hi to his geo-friend) and the Passo Campo Carlo Magno, following Charlemagne's footsteps, or so they say, and finish at the Lake Garda.

Stage profiles for an overview:

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-1-profile-8e6bb78664.jpg

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-2-profile-efa4d95255.jpg

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-3-profile-6168783525.jpg

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-4-profile-2e53202648.jpg

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-5-profile-2014df50d5.jpg

Some contenders:

Romain Bardet
Hasn't shown much this year, hasn't had many opportunities to do so. Until recently it wasn't even sure which Grand Tour he would concentrate on, but now it's clear he's doing the Giro. This is a great race for preparation and a great route for him, but I'm not even sure he will get that much support. As a contender for a podium I rate him ***

Jai Hindley
Funnily last year's Giro doesn't mean this guy is now top GT material in my eyes, but he's young, he's lovely, and a great climber. He can form a leader's duo with Bardet, that's probably how DSM want to play it. **

Pello Bilbao
He's in really good form, as shown in the Basque Country, but no time trial here for him. Probably top10, but no podium. *

Pavel Sivakov
Since I was told Bernal isn't in the race he climbs up my ranking a few steps. Well, one. ** Okay, ***, because Pinot's goat told me I am underrating him. :(

Thibaut Pinot
Will have a lot of supporters, here, in France, in Italy, everywhere he goes... But will that help? All depends on his back, I guess. **

Aleksandr Vlasov
Hard to rate, second behind Primoz/Max was solid but not spectacular. He's a strong guy, but against these top riders it's not going to be an easy trip. If Astana are serious about the Giro for him he should be at a very good level now. ***

Simon Yates
Where does he stand? Looking good, but might still miss a few percent for the biggest heights. (Can you say biggest heights?) ****

Hugh Carthy
Primoz and David broke him, but maybe he's fixed by now. Won't be enough for a podium here, though, I can see that in my crystal ball. *

Chris Froome
Why is he on this list? Because he has a nice smile, mostly.

Nairo
Yep, great route, great rider, but this has not been his spring so far, so I doubt it's going to be his race. *

Daniel Felipe Martínez
Hoefully doesn't crash, then he should be good, but will he be able to ride for himself? **

Gianluca Brambilla
New Trek leader with a very good spring so far. *

Domenico Pozzovivo
Oldie with increasing chances for a podium as more and more riders drop out. *

Matteo Fabbro
Up-and-coming star, should step in for Buchmann, unless he has to work for proven leader Palzer. *

Anton Palzer
Maybe it's because I still haven't listened to that Besenwagen podcast (I hate podcasts), but I don't think he's going to win this. At least not by two minutes.

Climb profiles provided by the Devil's Elbow
Enough of the dropping now, if you're on the startlist, stay in the race!

Last edited:
Don't forget Martí Vigo, who will challenge Palzer for the best skier turned pro cyclist in 2021 award. (Edit: I thought he was going to this tace, but apparently he isn't)
Also, how can you forget to mention the king of this race, Domenico Pozzovivo?

Other honourable mentions are Pernsteiner, Fabbro, Christian Scaroni (the love child of Scarponi and Moreni), DF Martinez and Dan Martin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Don't forget Martí Vigo, who will challenge Palzer for the best skier turned pro cyclist in 2021 award. (Edit: I thought he was going to this tace, but apparently he isn't)

Other honourable mentions are Pernsteiner, Fabbro, Christian Scaroni (the love child of Scarponi and Moreni), DF Martinez and Dan Martin.
Yeah, Punta Veleno for life.:cool:
I expect a decent showing from Fabbro, I guess he's racing this one instead of PV and Adrennes because they want to have him at his best to support Buchmann at the Giro.
Bernal not racing at all between Tirreno-Adriatico and the Giro is a bit strange, to say the least.
The race is ignoring the whole eastern part of the Trentino, Southtyrol and Tyrol, but I guess it's ok if you do that only once.
The final climb on stage 4 is no joke, 8.1km at 8.5%.
The same could be said about the penultimate climb on stage 2:
PillerhoheN.gif

giro-del-trentino.jpg

Start
Brixen.jpg

Finish
RTEmagicC_Riva_del_Garda_-_Shutterstock.jpg.jpg

You may say it's early, but I'm saying it's the Tour of the Alps!

An elite field, ripped of the two Super-Slovenians Primoz I. and Tadej I., but with the new Superstar Brandon McNulty, old/ last year's superstar Jai Hindley and coming super-superstar Anton Palzer who will ride through the most beautiful places in the world, well, Europe and battle to become the successor of Francesco Moser, Gianni Bugno, Vincenzo Nibali and ... Pavel Sivakov.

tour-of-the-alps-2021-map-954bd275eb.png

They will start in Brixen / Bressanone, pass the Brenner (unfortunately Marco won't be there to take say Hi to his geo-friend) and the Passo Campo Carlo Magno, following Charlemagne's footsteps, or so they say, and finish at the Lake Garda.

Stage profiles for an overview:

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-1-profile-8e6bb78664.jpg

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-2-profile-efa4d95255.jpg

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-3-profile-6168783525.jpg

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-4-profile-2e53202648.jpg

tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-5-profile-2014df50d5.jpg

Some contenders:

Romain Bardet
Hasn't shown much this year, hasn't had many opportunities to do so. Until recently it wasn't even sure which Grand Tour he would concentrate on, but now it's clear he's doing the Giro. This is a great race for preparation and a great route for him, but I'm not even sure he will get that much support. As a contender for a podium I rate him ***

Jai Hindley
Funnily last year's Giro doesn't mean this guy is now top GT material in my eyes, but he's young, he's lovely, and a great climber. He can form a leader's duo with Bardet, that's probably how DSM want to play it. **

Pello Bilbao
He's in really good form, as shown in the Basque Country, but no time trial here for him. Probably top10, but no podium. *

Egan Bernal
Has been kidnapped from this race and won't start!

Pavel Sivakov
Since I was told Bernal isn't in the race he climbs up my ranking a few steps. Well, one. ** Okay, ***, because Pinot's goat told me I am underrating him. :(

Brandon McNulty
Will he dare to be somebody here after last week...? Probably not. Not a route that he can shine on, anyway. But Majka doesn't seem in great form either. I suppose UAE is going low key here. No star.

Thibaut Pinot
Will have a lot of supporters, here, in France, in Italy, everywhere he goes... But will that help? All depends on his back, I guess. **

Shark
A shark in the mountains is always a weird idea, if you ask me. Will he be sharky or will he help Ciccone shine? We'll see. **

Giulio Ciccone
Top 10, but no cake for him, I'd say. Great climber, but probably not great enough. Surprise me, Giulio. *

Aleksandr Vlasov
Hard to rate, second behind Primoz/Max was solid but not spectacular. He's a strong guy, but against these top riders it's not going to be an easy trip. If Astana are serious about the Giro for him he should be at a very good level now. ***

Buchmann
Any stretch that recquires some punch will be a insuperable obstruction. But apart from that he's in good form and it should be a nice ride for him, especially since he has some decent support here. ***

Simon Yates
Where does he stand? Looking good, but might still miss a few percent for the biggest heights. (Can you say biggest heights?) ****

Hugh Carthy
Primoz and David broke him, but maybe he's fixed by now. Won't be enough for a podium here, though, I can see that in my crystal ball. *

Chris Froome
Why is he on this list? Because he has a nice smile, mostly.

Nairo
Yep, great route, great rider, but this has not been his spring so far, so I doubt it's going to be his race. *

Anton Palzer
Maybe it's because I still haven't listened to that Besenwagen podcast (I hate podcasts), but I don't think he's going to win this. At least not by two minutes.

I have to say just writing all these names in a post is a joy. :hearteyes: Mini-Giro, let it happen.
I will post some climb's profiles and more infos in the coming days, and if I don't do it, Devil's Elbow will.
Vincenzo Nibali to become the successor to Vincenzo Nibali

Climbs
Got to love that the hardest climb of the whole race goes uncategorised.

Stage 1
Elvas
G19_T17_S02_Elvas_SAL_jpg.jpg

Brenner/Brennero
BrennerS.gif

Axams (climbed 2x; this was the main climb in the TTT at the 2018 Worlds)
axams.png

Stage 2
Jerzens-Gischlewiese (the middle section from the junction towards Wald to Jerzens only, although the road starts climbing before that)
JerzensN.gif

Gachenblick - Piller Sattel (final 9.2k from Wenns onwards only)
PillerhoheE.gif

Kaunergrat - Piller Sattel
PillerhoheN.gif

Feichten im Kaunertal (first 10.5k up to Feichten only)
Kaunertal.gif

Stage 3
Piller Sattel (same climb as the day before, but this time they do the whole profile)
PillerhoheE.gif

Reschen/Passo Resia
ResiaN.gif

Frinig - Maso Albergad
VinschgauerHohenstrasseW.gif

Tarsch/Tarres
tour-of-the-alps-2021-stage-3-climb-n2-79b3d303a3.jpg

Stage 4
Passo Castrin
HofmahdN.gif

Passo Campo Carlo Magno
CampoCarloMagnoN.gif

Boniprati (first 10k only)
malga-table-cimego.png

Stage 5
Passo Duron
DuroneW.gif

Passo del Ballino
BallinoN.gif

Lago di Tenno (climbed 2x; the first 9.4k of the profile below up to the junction SS241/SP37 at 4.9 to go)
BallinoS.gif

No worries, Tirols Ex-biathlete Florian Lipowitz will challenge Palzer for best ex-skier. Also a very good climber. Still very young and very raw. Only his 2nd season on the bike and obviously hasn't had a lot of racing last year. So will be interesting to see him among this good a startlist of climbers. He still needs to learn a lot but I have a slight hope he might be able to put in a great race here.

No worries, Tirols Ex-biathlete Florian Lipowitz will challenge Palzer for best ex-skier. Also a very good climber. Still very young and very raw. Only his 2nd season on the bike and obviously hasn't had a lot of racing last year. So will be interesting to see him among this good a startlist of climbers. He still needs to learn a lot but I have a slight hope he might be able to put in a great race here.

But Lipowitz have never raced in the world cup unlike Vigo, but none of them were stars like Palzer anyway.

I'm looking forward to stage three. I've always thought it was a stunning view to enter Italy from the Reschenpass and descending down through Val Venosta. Unfortunately I have only experienced it by car, but I would love to ride it one day.

Reactions: Sandisfan
But Lipowitz have never raced in the world cup unlike Vigo, but none of them were stars like Palzer anyway.

I'm looking forward to stage three. I've always thought it was a stunning view to enter Italy from the Reschenpass and descending down through Val Venosta. Unfortunately I have only experienced it by car, but I would love to ride it one day.
That area is one of the windiest in all of South Tyrol, so you'd probably have a strong tailwind. Climbing the Reschenpass the other way around can bee brutal because of the wind.
The Vinschgau is pretty sunny, but it's always windy and therefore probably the driest place in all of South Tyrol (over 300 days of sunshine and only 500ml of precipitation per year).
That's why they built an irrigation system, the Waale, during the Middle Ages.
Schnalswaal.jpg

1024px-Waal_Prad_01.jpg

TRENDING THREADS