• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of the Alps 2021 (April 19th-23rd)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What are you keeping your eye on during the Tour of the Alps?

• who's going to win

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • a youngster or outsider the thread-starter didn't even know existed

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • the scenery

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • who's in form for the Giro

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • whether Anton Palzer is the new LeMond

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • whether Bernal's back is good

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • whether Pinot's back is good

• whether Hindley will have to wait for Bardet when he's in for a podium

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • whether Hindley will have to put on a rain jacket

• your girl/boyfriend/Netflix

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because it's Bernal. Against Yates. I don't see how it should be the other way around? Unless I missed some news regarding Bernal's back issues.
Well I see it the other way around. And you could do it also if you watch Prati di Tivo stage at this year's Tirreno-Adriatico. Because it's Simon Yates. And Simon Yates in top form is second only to two Slovenian aliens. Bernal with his back problems is no match for him, and I'm not sure even the prime Bernal would be.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Well I see it the other way around. And you could do it also if you watch Prati di Tivo stage at this year's Tirreno-Adriatico. Because it's Simon Yates. And Simon Yates in top form is second only to two Slovenian aliens. Bernal with his back problems is no match for him, and I'm not sure even the prime Bernal would be.

I would probably put Carapaz in front of Yates climbing wise however Yates' issue is consistency not his peak level.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes I saw Prati di Tivo and I also saw him dropping the following day and Bernal putting time into Yates. Today doesn't change anything. Just gives fuel for discussion.
Carapaz has been dropping like crazy since he started racing, so should we take him out of contention? He is probably the most dangerous rider to the Slovenians.

GT are different kind of races. We should always take these results with a grain of salt!

Yes I saw Prati di Tivo and I also saw him dropping the following day and Bernal putting time into Yates. Today doesn't change anything. Just gives fuel for discussion.
Carapaz has been dropping like crazy since he started racing, so should we take him out of contention? He is probably the most dangerous rider to the Slovenians.

GT are different kind of races. We should always take these results with a grain of salt!
I agree it doesn't change much. But it shows Simon is in great shape before the Giro. And it's not like we are talking about a random rider. Let's not forget he is a former GT winner and has shown us before what he is capable of. So his peak form looks like it will be there (which is the best peak form from anyone of this year's Giro field, only Bernal's peak is comparable). But it's not his peak, but his consistency that will determinate, if he is going to fight for the Giro victory.

How can you trust Landa the most? For a top5, sure. But he is not a winner. He's had so many opportunities and he's always there or thereabouts but never on top. On the other hand, the other two are proven winners.

Landa is consistent, the only better climbers in the Giro than him are Bernal who has a dodgy back and Yates who is one of the most volatile riders around. For once I believe being consistently there or thereabouts will be enough for Landa to win in this field.

Landa is consistent, the only better climbers in the Giro than him are Bernal who has a dodgy back and Yates who is one of the most volatile riders around. For once I believe being consistently there or thereabouts will be enough for Landa to win in this field.

Landa is consistent in not being up there to win a grand tour. Every time, he is "free", you'll get the usual comments of how he'll climb his way to victory but ultimately ends up failing. Good for a Top5/10 but not a podium.

Landa is consistent in not being up there to win a grand tour. Every time, he is "free", you'll get the usual comments of how he'll climb his way to victory but ultimately ends up failing. Good for a Top5/10 but not a podium.
This. Landa is one of the most consistent GT riders riders, finishing between 4th and 7th in his last five GT's. I wouldn't count out a podium (the Giro lineup looks weak), but it's probably not very likely.

Tibopino had a mechanical problem and has been caught by the peloton, which is 2 minutes behind.

Break:
Antonio Nibali
Gianni Moscon
Harold Tejada
Lulu Sanchez
Matteo Fabbro
Felix Großschartner
TJ Van Garderen
Alessandro De Marchi
Hermann Pernsteiner
François Bidard
Tony Gallopin