• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Utah, Stage 2; TTT 21.75 K

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Forunculo said:
How long Track is? 21,75 km?

I know about Moto GP/F1 tracks are about 5-7km:confused:

You're right on target: 4.5 miles this track...is 7.3 Km

The finish is shown just short of the start so I guess that accounts for coming-up just short of 22Km at the three laps.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Notes....The most aggressive jersey to Jesse Anthony, Optum-KBS (USA) who made a long bridge up to the break which was no sooner swallowed up on the days final Cat. 2 climb. Eduard Beltran Suarez EPM-UNE(COL) who helped drive the break all day and still managed to come home in the second group with Anthony a minute back after a slew of attacks over and off the Cat. 2 Ogden Divide is also worthy of note.

Today the temps out in the Great Salt Lake Basin near Tooele where the venue is located will reach 103F, but surface temps on the tarmac could reach 120F.

http://tourtracker.tourofutah.com/2012/stage-2

Thermal winds are likely, the constant change in direction on wide-binders could make for some interesting pace-line adjustments.

The TTT will be run with only three teams on the tack at one time.

The Tour Tracker coverage is shaky at best. Hopefully it will improve.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
More notes: Jens Voigt at 19:01 is the Lanterne Rouge after doing more that his share of pulling the break back. RSNT and Garmin did almost all of the work up to the days final climb. Defending champion Levi Leipheimer, who's Omega-Pharma Quickstep team is down one rider, sent no one forward as did the other ProTour teams. With a TTT today, it is unclear who will have the jersey at the end of the day. Sutherland's United Healthcare team could put up a wlecomed fight.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
GC After Stage 1, Ogden 211 km
2012 TOUR OR UTAH

1 Rory Sutherland (Aus) UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team 5:25:31

2 Damiano Caruso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:00:04

3 Brent Bookwalter (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:00:06

4 Caleb Fairly (USA) Team Spidertech P/B C10 0:00:08

5 Lawson Craddock (USA) Bontrager Livestrong Team 0:00:10

6 Leopold Koenig (Cze) Team NetApp

7 Michael Schär (Swi) BMC Racing Team

8 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin-Sharp

9 Mathias Frank (Swi) BMC Racing Team

10 Christopher Baldwin (USA) Bissell Pro Cycling

11 Ivan Santaromita (Ita) BMC Racing Team

12 Lucas Euser (USA) Team Spidertech P/B C10

13 Andrew Bajadali (USA) Team Optum P/B Kelly Benefit Strategies

14 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) Competitive Cyclist Racing Team

15 Flavio De Luna (Mex) Team Spidertech P/B C10

16 Mathias Flueckiger (Swi) BMC Racing Team

17 Max Jenkins (USA) Competitive Cyclist Racing Team

18 Christopher Horner (USA) Radioshack-Nissan

19 George Bennett (NZl) Radioshack-Nissan

20 Matthew Busche (USA) Radioshack-Nissan

I think the time gaps will be very large on Saturday and especially Sunday. I don't think the TTT will hurt anyone too much.

FWIW, I don't believe they are doing the pave section on Guardsman Pass.

Hopefully, next year we will also see Sunday's climb in reverse, up Marsac, up the steep pave section, down Guardsman to Brighton ski resort.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I think the time gaps will be very large on Saturday and especially Sunday. I don't think the TTT will hurt anyone too much.

FWIW, I don't believe they are doing the pave section on Guardsman Pass.

Hopefully, next year we will also see Sunday's climb in reverse, up Marsac, up the steep pave section, down Guardsman to Brighton ski resort.

One of the promo videos said that a section of final stage was newly paved. I took it to mean repaved? It names a short section as the Gaurdsman "Connection" road.

12:35 MST 2:35 EST now the new times for the stream.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Windy as expected. Talk of teams just staying single file instead of constantly adjusting to change of direction on the motor race track.

Should be interesting to to see who can adjust to this and what tactics will work the best.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow... what happened to OPQS? They were down to 5 guys after only one lap.

Levi could lose minutes here to some of the big teams. He might actually have to attack in some of the upcoming stages!

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It's Wednesday. It is the middle of the day. The track is out in BFE. Tooele is like the definition of BFE. BFT!

This stage should be held in the evening. I don't see any reason not to do so.

I rode the National ITT Champs in Tooele in 1991 in the first week of July. It was the same kind of day. It is way out there. Felt horride the whole 40k.:(

The race track is new since then.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The ToU should use the circuit at Jeremy Ranch that was used in 1991.

I was a Cat 3. then. I saw the course on the way up to Park City. I did not stay for the RR which I regret. It had some major short climbs if I remember it right. I don't remember the name, Jeremy Ranch, but I thought that's going to hurt...:D

Am I the only one who found it slightly amusing that they felt the need to explain why Zabriskie is dressed differently from the other Garmin-guys?

It might just be me but I'd think that most people, in the US, interested in cycling would know that he's national champion and, being totally mental, has designed his kit after Captain America.

BillytheKid said:
I was a Cat 3. then. I saw the course on the way up to Park City. I did not stay for the RR which I regret. It had some major short climbs if I remember it right. I don't remember the name, Jeremy Ranch, but I thought that's going to hurt...:D

It was a hilly circuit. It is about at 6500 feet. It was also really hot.

I have 90 degrees right now, but I am not out in BFT.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It was a hilly circuit. It is about at 6500 feet. It was also really hot.

I have 90 degrees right now, but I am not out in BFT.

I just saw it from the 80. It looked intense for a NChamps circuit.

Intervals up, intervals up....

It's windy and hot here. 100 degrees. I think the motorsports park is ideal for this because of its technical nature. Unfortunately, not many people can get out to Tooele in the middle of the day, which is a shame.

The Empire Pass area was likely newly paved. It was not paved in the past. Much of that area consists of relatively new multi-million condo developments. Some of the roads, like Guardsman, are very hard to pave because of their remote nature. Plus, the weather just destroys the asphalt.

TRENDING THREADS