• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Utah, Stage 3; Ogden to the University of Utah

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The North Ogden Pass (the final climb on stage one) looks to have about 500m plus going out north and east of Ogden. What happens here all depends on how Garmin reacts to what I expect to be some attacking from those who lost big on TTT. Rabo, RSNT, United HC and BMC, etc might try to put top placed men up the road early at least to force Garmin to chase hard. The problem is the recycled Cat. 3 Trappers Loop climb is some 70 km from the summit of the day's final 7%, 8 km climb followed by a lengthy descent to the finish in Salt Lake City. I expect some attacking from the likes of the EPM-UNE squad early, but will anyone follow?

Bontrager-Livestrong could animate as well.

We may have a field split again with a lead group of 40 again marching along to the day's final climb.

I think the best tactic for the challengers to Garmin is to let something like that go and let Garmin use resources in a chase. The pro-conti teams might be hard to control on the first climb. Something foolish could go up the up the road, but may not have much fire power.

A field split is likely and small break may emerge for the long go.

Some testing may occur on the final climb where things will have regrouped, but the GC should look much the same as at the start at the end of the day.

The official site map has some updated GC standings. A lot of pre-race favorites are within a minute of VdV...hopes for aggression.

http://tourofutah.com/2012/results

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I didn't expect the peloton to shatter like this on the first climb.

Vandevelde looks to be in the hurt locker already.
Euser takes the KOM and slumps over the handlebars. Looks ready to pass out.

This is the good thing about the pro-continental teams, although Duggan and BMC and RSNT are there, the attacks worked to form a good break. I really surprised to see Duggan up there. Looks like there going to let it go and based on the distance, it's not likely to succeed.

Maybe I'll catch the end of the race. Chow!