• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour teams announced

Astana is in, Fuji is out!

Three wild cards: Cervelo, Skil-Shimano and Agritubel.

Plus the following 17 ProTour teams: Milram, Quick Step, Silence-Lotto, Saxo Bank, Caisse d'Epargne, Euskaltel-Euskadi, Garmin-Slipstream, Columbia-Highroad, AG2R La Mondiale, Bbox Bouygues Telecom, Cofidis, Française des Jeux, Lampre-NGC, Liquigas, Astana, Rabobank and Katusha.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Not surprised about either Barloworld or more particularly Fuji.

Barloworld dirtied their bib badly last year. I feel sorry for Soler, Cummings and the majority of them, especially the four who finished it.

Fuji similarly on two counts - firstly they desecrated it with Riccós two faux wins, and then Piepoli. Secondly, they have been very poor this year, especially seeing as they are supposedly a reimagining of Scott: American Beef (possibly the best team name ever). I think I am correct in saying that they have won nothing yet, and they have been rather anonymous in doing so. Skil-Shimano have got people into breaks and generally addded something to every race they have been in, Agritubal similarly, and as for Cervelo! I thought ISD might push, though I presume they'll concentrate on Italy for the time being.

I agree with the ASO stance: if they want to come back, they had best do a lot of cleaning up and earn their places at the beautiful races. It will be hard for them though, as the new British Sky team will surely get an invite, and I would imagine ISD will be up there knocking loudly too.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, a shame for Froome, Augustyn and Soler, they could have brought some animation to the mountain stages.

But you have to draw the limit somewhere and if Liquigas reacted to Beltran's ejection by introducing some internal anti-doping screening program, Barloworld did not take this line (their budget is much smaller).

No Juan Mauricio Soler?? He was my dark horse. He was my one hope to animate the race and change it from the Astana juggernaut up all the climbs, pummelling all in their path, to his relentless attacking style.

Man, I am truly disappointed!

Maybe Gesink will have a little latitude in his first Tour while riding with/for
Menchov.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Remember last year?

Why haven't I seen any "it's not the same team as last year" or "it's just payback for 3 spanish riders winning in a row" complaints regarding Fuji yet? People were pretty critical last year when..., oh, I see, this time around it doesn't involve lance in the least. Interesting. Sorry to stir the pudding, but I took so much crap last year for defending ASO that it was just too hard to resist.

a

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
At least ASO is being consistant. I didn't agree with the Astana decision b/c it was a brand new management team that had ridden eight consecutive years in France without a doping positive. But what's good for Astana last year has to be good for Fuji this year. Add to it that Fuji's basically the same structure, and I think it's a no brainer.

Dissapointed for Barloworld, though. As pointed out, Liquigas has been invited back, as was Cofidis and Rabobank last year in the wake of the Chritain Moreni positive and the Rasmussen debacle the year before. As long as Barloworld is participating in the passport program, as required, their inclusion should be based on sporting factors, not a single incident of doping.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
antoine said:
Why haven't I seen any "it's not the same team as last year" or "it's just payback for 3 spanish riders winning in a row" complaints regarding Fuji yet? People were pretty critical last year when..., oh, I see, this time around it doesn't involve lance in the least. Interesting. Sorry to stir the pudding, but I took so much crap last year for defending ASO that it was just too hard to resist.

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

Where's the "LET COBO RIDE" campaign?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
jsmayer181 said:
I didn't agree with the Astana decision b/c it was a brand new management team that had ridden eight consecutive years in France without a doping positive.

You mean aside from Armstrong's positive for corticosteroids.
Armstrong's six positives for EPO.
Benoit Joachim's positive for nandrolone.

Tom Morris said:
You mean aside from Armstrong's positive for corticosteroids.
Armstrong's six positives for EPO.
Benoit Joachim's positive for nandrolone.

This isn't fair. There was no 'B' sample.

Did Armstrong dope? I don't know. Maybe. It's not fair to say he tested positive without a 'b' sample. All athletes deserve fairness. Regardless of who they are.

Maybe you can help me understand. How is it Armstrong needed EPO to win his first Tour, yet he didn't need for the next six? During that time the detection methods for EPO improved but he never tested positive.

If he ever tests positive, send him to the gallows. But until then. He has been tested 25 times since his return 6 months ago. So they are clearly gunning for him.

I am actually really bummed Fuji didn't get an invite. I am a fan of Ivan Dominguez and was really excited to see him racing in Europe this year.
Not that he would have made the Tour team, necessarily, but I was still looking forward to it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am a bit bummed Barloworld is not in also...Cofidis as has been stated before has had their guy caught yet they are still in. I think they could have really livened things up especially Augustyn (spelling on that right?). I know ASO does not change their picks too much but possibly they could still invite Barloworld, especially if they have put into the passport program.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there's any surprises here....who would you 'boot' out to put Fuji or barloworld in?. It's a pity for Soler, his escapades once he's out of GC contention are always a pleasure to watch...but, man, that riding style remind me of a 'frog in a blender' :D

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Ouch!

At least they didn't invite Ouch and Landis :)

As for Fuji, it's a shame Saunier ressurrected at all, I'm glad they are out of the tour.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hypocrisy

Hi, I think that ASO is acting pretty hypocrisy by keeping Pro-Tour teams out- Astana last year and Fuji-Servetto this year.
Why would they invite other teams that been caught in the 2008 tour de france?
Liquigas, with Manuel Beltran that was caught for doping in the 2008 tour
Agritubel, that their rider Jimmy Casper was suspended after he failed to renew his exemption for glucocorticoids.

The only differences is that Saunier-Duval has chosen to not to ignore the long time problem of our sport, and fight against doping as hard as they can, starting at exiting the 2008 tour, and start having an internal highly sophisticated anti-doping program, in order to have a clean team, in the way for a clean new world of cycling

TRENDING THREADS