• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Touring hubs

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have recommendations re. Phil Wood touring hubs? I have read the discussions of cones vs sealed bearings and am considering Phil Wood if we go with sealed bearings. Do Phil Wood hubs require frequent service? Can anyone/any bike shop service them easily if needed? We are looking for extremely reliable hubs that require minimal service, and ones that can be serviced/repaired easily anywhere in the world.
We bought Chris King hubs for our new touring bikes and found they were not what we wanted (a very expensive lesson). Billed as extremely reliable and not requiring much service, we found they did not live up to the expectation. With less than 3000 miles on our hubs as we started our tour (in the US and Canada), we began experiencing problems (failure to engage) within the first 500 miles. Each bike shop we stopped at was reluctant to work on them as they require special tools and most shops don't have them. When we finally found a shop that could work on them my wheel was pretty much unusable, he rebuilt it with loaner parts and lent us a wheel for my wife so we could continue. A question that has come up frequently was "when did you have them serviced...?" That implies that the CK hubs need frequent service, something I don't want to have to cope with while touring - if I did I would go with cones and repack them every x000 miles... Historically, I have found that cheaper hubs (Campy) require minimal service and I usually don't have to do anything but keep the cones properly adjusted, repack them after about 10000 miles and they'll go for 20000 miles or more. Touring would probably require more mx than that though and I doubt they'd go as far. Chris King didn't work well for us, we ndon't want to repeat a bad (expensive) experience with Phil Wood hubs. Hopefully if we spend $ for Phil Wood they'll go for 20000 miles with minimal maintenance, otherwise it's not worth doing...

Rupert said:
Does anyone have recommendations re. Phil Wood touring hubs? I have read the discussions of cones vs sealed bearings and am considering Phil Wood if we go with sealed bearings. Do Phil Wood hubs require frequent service? Can anyone/any bike shop service them easily if needed? We are looking for extremely reliable hubs that require minimal service, and ones that can be serviced/repaired easily anywhere in the world.
We bought Chris King hubs for our new touring bikes and found they were not what we wanted (a very expensive lesson). Billed as extremely reliable and not requiring much service, we found they did not live up to the expectation. With less than 3000 miles on our hubs as we started our tour (in the US and Canada), we began experiencing problems (failure to engage) within the first 500 miles. Each bike shop we stopped at was reluctant to work on them as they require special tools and most shops don't have them. When we finally found a shop that could work on them my wheel was pretty much unusable, he rebuilt it with loaner parts and lent us a wheel for my wife so we could continue. A question that has come up frequently was "when did you have them serviced...?" That implies that the CK hubs need frequent service, something I don't want to have to cope with while touring - if I did I would go with cones and repack them every x000 miles... Historically, I have found that cheaper hubs (Campy) require minimal service and I usually don't have to do anything but keep the cones properly adjusted, repack them after about 10000 miles and they'll go for 20000 miles or more. Touring would probably require more mx than that though and I doubt they'd go as far. Chris King didn't work well for us, we ndon't want to repeat a bad (expensive) experience with Phil Wood hubs. Hopefully if we spend $ for Phil Wood they'll go for 20000 miles with minimal maintenance, otherwise it's not worth doing...

130 or 135mm rear spacing?

Phil are tremendous as are XT if 135mm spacing. If 130mm, Ultegra are hard to beat as well.

CK hubs are a $100 answer to a $5 question, in terms of reliable hubs. I don't rec. them even on road bikes that ride in the dry with low mileage riders.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
all hubs need service. I learned to service and repack my own hubs and bearings before I even ride them. It seems that grease is sparce or pricey for the MFG to use enuff. I do have CK hubs and have had no problems with them for 30,000 miles since I overhauled them before I rode them. It was the same issue I see all the time, not enuff grease.

Rupert said:
... snip
we began experiencing problems (failure to engage) within the first 500 miles.
-------------------------------------------
'Failure to engage' sounds like a problem in the rear wheel 'freewheel' mechanism, and I doubt that it is as simple as cup&cone or sealed bearings.
... ? is that part even supposed to be 'user serviceable'?

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
130 or 135mm rear spacing?

Phil are tremendous as are XT if 135mm spacing. If 130mm, Ultegra are hard to beat as well.

CK hubs are a $100 answer to a $5 question, in terms of reliable hubs. I don't rec. them even on road bikes that ride in the dry with low mileage riders.

I have not had good experience with CK rear hubs at any level. Even on a mountain bike. Sticky rear leads to chain suck when backpedaling into a turn leads to chain suck etc.....

As you say the XT Ultegra options are best bet

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
We used Shimano Deore Lx hubs touring with loaded panniers in Europe 10 years ago with no problems over 10000km, since then built them into other wheels. They have ball bearings that are easy to service. The labrynth style seals work fine if you don't submerge them or squirt with water.

Otherwise I have used White Industry hubs for many tens of thousands of KMs. Easy to service and use standard sized cartridge bearings you can buy anywhere. Have not use them with panniers but have used them in commuter wheels which get a beating.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I honestly think the cup and cone is very underrated
Yes, I have sealed bearing wheels as well and they haven't caused me an issue but if you are touring you want something where you can buy a single ball in outerbumfuk-nowhere, even if you have a ball that is 31/65ths vrs 63/128ths you will keep going. Lot to be said in that.
BTW i also have a bike with some high flange Exige circa 198x, race is starting to look a little fatigued, it will probably need replacing in another 15 years...

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Phil Wood all the way! Especially for touring, it's where they really shine. ;)

imagefly.aspx

Phil Wood Foreva!

I sold a few Phil Woods in the distant past. You know what the problem with Phil Woods is? A shop can't make any service money on them.

Zero maintenance. None. Impossible? Not really. You'll note that Phil Woods are not for the gram-obsessed consumer. The reliability is legend because they aren't the lightest. Their parts support is superb. No planned obsolescence.

They can very realistically be your last set of hubs ever.

DirtyWorks said:
I sold a few Phil Woods in the distant past. You know what the problem with Phil Woods is? A shop can't make any service money on them.

Zero maintenance. None. Impossible? Not really. You'll note that Phil Woods are not for the gram-obsessed consumer. The reliability is legend because they aren't the lightest. Their parts support is superb. No planned obsolescence.

They can very realistically be your last set of hubs ever.

And be Campagnolo compatible for 2012....they are perfect!