• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Touring saddle recommendations

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Hello

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.

Cheers
Aperezy

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
I use ISM saddles on all my bikes. They take a little while to get used to but honestly it was the best thing I ever did. If you can find one to test for a couple of weeks I highly recommend it.

Thanks, do you recommend a specific model? I check online and there are many options. Cheers

aperezy said:
Hello

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.

Cheers
Aperezy

Fake news. If you've never had 'sleepy winky', use the saddle that is most comfy.

I use SMP, not because of my winky but because of a saddle sore..

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

JayKosta said:
Brooks B72 is comfortable for long touring type rides.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Thanks. I am familiar with this saddle, my only problem is weight and size when traveling. Now again my main concern was not only about confort because my saddles works well for me, my main concern was related to medical recommendations. I read online about many problems on prolonged sitting on my bike.

Thanks for your reply

Cheers

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I use a Specialized Romin saddle (when I bought it there was only one model as I recall but now there are several models). My LBS sat me down on a pad to determine the best width for me. It is ergonomically designed for men.

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

avanti said:
I use a Specialized Romin saddle (when I bought it there was only one model as I recall but now there are several models). My LBS sat me down on a pad to determine the best width for me. It is ergonomically designed for men.

Thanks...I will check this saddle

Re: Re:

aperezy said:
King Boonen said:
I use ISM saddles on all my bikes. They take a little while to get used to but honestly it was the best thing I ever did. If you can find one to test for a couple of weeks I highly recommend it.

Thanks, do you recommend a specific model? I check online and there are many options. Cheers

That's a difficult question to answer because I started with their very first road saddle, it worked for me so I then took it to the shop, matched it with the one in the current range that looked the most similar and bought that for my other bikes. That means I didn't really try the range, just picked out the one I thought would work best.

I went for the PR 1.0 based on that. If I were buying without prior knowledge I'd want to try a few first though. Most shops that sell them can get a test saddle for you to have a go on. I would start with the Adamo Road model.

It helped me with both comfort and position on the bike, I now really struggle to ride a bike that doesn't have one on it.

Bustedknuckle said:
aperezy said:
Hello

Cheers
Aperezy

Fake news. If you've never had 'sleepy winky', use the saddle that is most comfy.

Yep, the Sella SMP is what I use and can hardly sit on a bike without one. I have two for the two bikes that I ride all the time, in fact I have a couple of other bikes that I don't ride anymore specifically because they don't have SMP saddles on them.

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Irondan said:
Bustedknuckle said:
aperezy said:
Hello

Cheers
Aperezy

Yep, the Sella SMP is what I use and can hardly sit on a bike without one. I have two for the two bikes that I ride all the time, in fact I have a couple of other bikes that I don't ride anymore specifically because they don't have SMP saddles on them.

Do you have a model that I can check? do you have a photo and model? thanks

aperezy said:
Irondan said:
Bustedknuckle said:
aperezy said:
Hello

Cheers
Aperezy

I have the "Evolution" model.

An example and price can be found here on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selle-SMP-Evolution-Bicycle-Saddle-Seat-Red-Made-in-Italy-/391086831803

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Irondan said:
aperezy said:
Irondan said:
Bustedknuckle said:
aperezy said:
Hello

Cheers
Aperezy

Thanks...do you do long rides? tours? Sorry for so many questions

Regards

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selle-SMP-Evolution-Bicycle-Saddle-Seat-Red-Made-in-Italy-/391086831803

Irondan said:
aperezy said:
Irondan said:
Bustedknuckle said:
aperezy said:
Hello

Cheers
Aperezy

I've used the 'Dynamic' for several years now, but that's because I'm a skinny *** who weighs 68kg wringing wet :D

Tried the 'Pro(too wide), tried the Dynamic..too much of a 'hammock' feel..use the Glider..less 'hammock' and fits me arse.

Lots of SMP test ride shops around..

If you never had an issue with your old saddle why not simply buy a new saddle of the old one?

Some people have recommended Brooks and those are very sweet saddles for comfort especially the B17 for touring because it's designed for a more upright touring riding position; another option is the Terry Fly which is another commonly used touring saddle.

If you decide to go with the Brooks there are specific ways that saddle needs to be treated you can ruin it rather quickly. First off, don't listen to anyone on how to care for it or break it in, because there some dim wits out there who act like they know what their talking about but when it comes to leather saddles they don't have clue. So does that mean that I'm the foremost knowledgeable person on that subject? NO! But I can tell you who is...Brooks is! Yes that's right the manufacture that makes Brooks saddles has been making them for over 100 years does have a clue on how to take care of them, so if you want your warranty to remain intact and you want your saddle to last a long time then do what they say and not what someone else says because if you try to speed up the break in process by soaking the saddle in oil or water or some other such goofiness your warranty will be voided and for good reason. The only three things I do differently from the instructions, but mine's out of warranty so it really doesn't matter, is number one, I don't turn the spanner nut as much as they recommend, I only turn it a 1/8 to 1/4th a turn about once every 2 to 3 years not every 6 months, but the weight of the rider does play into the frequency issue. Number 3 I don't use Proofide much only once a year, in fact I didn't use it at all during break in because I wanted it to break in slower for a better fit, like shoes. And number 3 I use neutral colored Kiwi shoe paste wax on my saddle because it seems to repel water better than anything else I've found. None of those 3 items will void the warranty anyways, but using any oil based products, or water based products will void the warranty. Those Brooks saddles are to be a hammack for your butt, it's not a glove or a shoe, thus it has to support your weight, if you oil it the saddle will soften too much, which can happen if you overuse Proofide too, and then you will have to keep tightening your spanner and eventually it will run out of space to tighten any more, or it can rip the rivets out of the seat.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:

Tried the 'Pro(too wide), tried the Dynamic..too much of a 'hammock' feel..use the Glider..less 'hammock' and fits me ****.

Lots of SMP test ride shops around..

Second the Sella SMPs. I use both the dynamic and Lite 209. Bike fitter put me on one and I've never looked back.

If you're a long distance cycle tourist, you should look at a Brooks Leather saddle....the B17 gets many appreciative votes and I can add one of those to the mix.

Leather saddles with copper rivets are an excellent choice, once broken in and well loook after (proof ride) they will last a very long time and should be super comfortable once you "break themin"..... for me, this was a bit of a myth and the saddle was good to go right out of the box!
I'm 4 months into a cycle touring trip on my B17 with no complaints.....it was my commuter saddle for 18 months before this trip.

I've dropped the bike a couple of times and the saddle has taken the brunt of the impact....no drama at all.....try doing that with a more modern styled saddle where the guts will start spewing out of the saddle and it becomes next to useless.

Re:

froze said:
If you never had an issue with your old saddle why not simply buy a new saddle of the old one?

Some people have recommended Brooks and those are very sweet saddles for comfort especially the B17 for touring because it's designed for a more upright touring riding position; another option is the Terry Fly which is another commonly used touring saddle.

If you decide to go with the Brooks there are specific ways that saddle needs to be treated you can ruin it rather quickly. First off, don't listen to anyone on how to care for it or break it in, because there some dim wits out there who act like they know what their talking about but when it comes to leather saddles they don't have clue. So does that mean that I'm the foremost knowledgeable person on that subject? NO! But I can tell you who is...Brooks is! Yes that's right the manufacture that makes Brooks saddles has been making them for over 100 years does have a clue on how to take care of them, so if you want your warranty to remain intact and you want your saddle to last a long time then do what they say and not what someone else says because if you try to speed up the break in process by soaking the saddle in oil or water or some other such goofiness your warranty will be voided and for good reason. The only three things I do differently from the instructions, but mine's out of warranty so it really doesn't matter, is number one, I don't turn the spanner nut as much as they recommend, I only turn it a 1/8 to 1/4th a turn about once every 2 to 3 years not every 6 months, but the weight of the rider does play into the frequency issue. Number 3 I don't use Proofide much only once a year, in fact I didn't use it at all during break in because I wanted it to break in slower for a better fit, like shoes. And number 3 I use neutral colored Kiwi shoe paste wax on my saddle because it seems to repel water better than anything else I've found. None of those 3 items will void the warranty anyways, but using any oil based products, or water based products will void the warranty. Those Brooks saddles are to be a hammock for your butt, it's not a glove or a shoe, thus it has to support your weight, if you oil it the saddle will soften too much, which can happen if you overuse Proofide too, and then you will have to keep tightening your spanner and eventually it will run out of space to tighten any more, or it can rip the rivets out of the seat.

Wow, sounds like way more hassle than I'd ever be bothered with. You can really run out of adjustment? Rip the rivets out? Leather saddles always seem counter-intuitive to me for long-distance touring. Why would you want something on a long distance tour that you can't get wet? (OK, I exaggerate - but something that would prefer to not get wet for best performance?)

My Brooks came with a great waterproof cover.

You can definitely ride it in the rain....your @rse has it well covered while youre riding. I rode 9 days in a row in the rain when I went around Tasmania.....no problems. At night or when I stop I put the cover on it, or I always have a plastic bag or 2 in my bar bag which also works fine.

Wonder why great hiking / trekking boots are leather?? Same deal with a Brooks Saddle.....once broken in and well looked after, they last ages and are super comfy - imho ofc.
I still have a pair of full leather Asolo hiking boots bought in 2006 going strong.

I know that they are not everyone's cup of tea, but most long distance tourers I know and have met on my tours use a Brooks.

Horse for course and all that....

Jan 10, 2019
Visit site
Replaced the stock giant saddle on my Anthem to a Carrera saddle off my Fury which was a massive improvement but has just ordered a charge spoon to replace that after I wrecked it. But as mentioned above saddle fit is a very personal thing. Click here, if you interested where I order for this kind of products.

TRENDING THREADS