• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tourmalet or bust!

I have been asked by a friend for some advice about touring in the Pyrenees. I think what he has in mind is organising a small group to take in some of the classic climbs and routes. He’s a pretty serious Granfondo type rider with not too much experience in Europe (he is based in Canada) – so he is fit and willing to be challenged.

I know a little bit … but would love to hear from others about do’s and don’ts around getting the best out of 10-14 days in the Pyrenees. I am interested in advice about self managing a tour but also if people have had experience of going on an organised tour.

Any input valued

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Beware the weather!

Do it yourself- fun and cheaper

get a map

find climbs that seem exciting

plan some routes. much more fun than someone else doing it

book hotels. There are lots and they are very bike friendly.

Do not attempt to drive through the night from UK having had minimal sleep the previous three nights and then get out at the foot of the Marie Blanque and start riding.

find someone to drive a minibus. Driving a minibus through the pyrenees is definitely harder than cycling through them imo particularly if the cloud descends. My dad did the honours for me and some others. Nearly killed him while we had a great time. To save weight you can remove half the gearbox because you wont get out of second.

Take care when descending if you can't even see the other side of the road due to cloud.

Take advantage of underpasses to shelter from rain.

go to Provence and Alps afterwards to work on tan lines

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
There were a couple of slight logistical issues it's true.

The first was forgetting just how busy I was going to be in the days leading up to the depart.

the second was when I was told the minibus would be getting a new clutch on the day we were leaving.

the third was a two and a bit hour hold up on the motorway to Dover

The overnight drive was planned in order to save money but we should have had time to stop and kip on the way down. In the end drove non stop and literally stopped at the bottom of the Marie Blanque got out and rode up.

on the descent there was a crash and blow out- another story

we then did the Aubisque and couldn't see a thing.

By the time we got to Argeles Gazost it was too late to do the Hautacam which was a shame.

I was asleep by 7pm mind!

next day was Tourmalet, Aspin, Peyresourde which was much nicer- there was even some sun!

I went last year during the Tour. Booked a hotel in Lourdes, which I do not recommend. Better to stay in the countryside, there are many B&Bs and yes they are all bike friendly, some have areas for secure bike storage.

If the plan is to be there during the Tour it´s already probably too late to find anything for this year.

My suggestions:

1 Book hotels after the Tour route has been revealed so you can stay near the best stages/climbs.

2 Break up your stay in two or three areas according to where you want to ride.

3 If possible bring your own bikes. For a two week stay it will be worth it.

4 Visit the local tourist centers for maps and info. They are very helpful.

5 Bring your favorite energy/recovery things with you. Many bike shops will have some stuff, but probably not what you normally use.

6 Use local food shops for fruit, yogurt whatever you need. Make sure your hotel has a minibar to use as a fridge. Also most villages have one or two public fountains......very convenient for refills.

7 Bring armwarmers, rain jacket, waterproof shoe covers; basically all your bad weather gear. Include sunblock.

It is an amazing experience to climb those fabled mtns. I´ll be back again during this Tour´s visit to the Pyrenees. Can´t wait.

SirLes said:
Beware the weather!

Do it yourself- fun and cheaper

get a map

find climbs that seem exciting

plan some routes. much more fun than someone else doing it

book hotels. There are lots and they are very bike friendly.

Do not attempt to drive through the night from UK having had minimal sleep the previous three nights and then get out at the foot of the Marie Blanque and start riding.

find someone to drive a minibus. Driving a minibus through the pyrenees is definitely harder than cycling through them imo particularly if the cloud descends. My dad did the honours for me and some others. Nearly killed him while we had a great time. To save weight you can remove half the gearbox because you wont get out of second.

Take care when descending if you can't even see the other side of the road due to cloud.

Take advantage of underpasses to shelter from rain.

go to Provence and Alps afterwards to work on tan lines

On my way up the Hautacam last year I ran into a cyclist who had driven through the night before from england and there he was huffing and puffing as I was, except he had not slept. Amazing!

While climbing such hills I repeatedly ask myself why I do it. Why don´t I just get off the bike and rest or lie down in the grass and give up as I see so many other cyclist doing. A Columbian cyclist I used to ride with once told me a story about the days he road with the national team (he raced in the Olympics in the 60s), training in the mtns, climbing for hours at high altitude in extreme heat. He said "we suffered, but it was beautiful". There is something in those words that I connected to in a deep way. I think of them often and even if I´m near collapse, I smile and keep going until I reach the summit. It is beautiful.