• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tracking the French drought

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
CheckMyPecs said:
Stablinski may have been of Polish descent, but he was born in the very French-sounding Thun-Saint-Amand! :D

On another note, correction duly noted. Cheers.

Stab officially had Polish citizenship until 1948. If I'm not mistaken both his parents were Polish, his father being a migrant to the Nord's coal mines. Stab himself worked in the coal mine in Aremberg, hence his discovery of the famous cobbled section. He's the only person to have worked under and above it, lol.

But okay, I was being a bit facetious.

On the other note, no problem, everybody makes mistakes.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Wow, what a succesfull rider was Jalabert! I was a child when he was in his prime, so I knew name, along with some others, but I didn't actually know anything about which races existed, and what all he had won. I feel like when people speak about the great riders of the last decades, his name does not often come up. In France he is a popular TV persona, but I feel that he is never seen as being on the same level as Hinault or Fignon for example. It's a shame because he has a great palmarès.

Christian said:
Wow, what a succesfull rider was Jalabert! I was a child when he was in his prime, so I knew name, along with some others, but I didn't actually know anything about which races existed, and what all he had won. I feel like when people speak about the great riders of the last decades, his name does not often come up. In France he is a popular TV persona, but I feel that he is never seen as being on the same level as Hinault or Fignon for example. It's a shame because he has a great palmarès.

Everyone who was great in the '90s has, of necessity, had a bit of shade cast upon their accomplishments in the years since. That said, given the sketchy playing field of the time, Jalabert was amazing in both the breadth and the depth of his winnings -- a lot like Sean Kelly in many respects.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Now that I think of it, if all the big favourites head to Italy for the 100th Giro and are tired for the Tour, Pinot may have a real chance of winning it. The Giro-Tour double seems impossible in the modern era, so anyone who was fresh for the Tour would have a big advantage

Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Now that I think of it, if all the big favourites head to Italy for the 100th Giro and are tired for the Tour, Pinot may have a real chance of winning it. The Giro-Tour double seems impossible in the modern era, so anyone who was fresh for the Tour would have a big advantage

My understanding is Pinot is riding the Giro 2017 - This may have been about his contract re-negotiations.

If the French arrive at the Vuelta fresh, they definitely have a good chance to win whether the big four participate or not. Look at what Dumoulin did last year.
The french had great track cyclists but none of them are there in the road scene whereas Britain & Australia have managed to do so. The french are behind w.r.t methods as exemplified by Madiot and spoken by Rolland. Voeckler came closest to wining the tour and he was not a mountain climber of any note. There is talent but not properly trained or spotted or motivated. Maybe they should hire Sutton.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
If the French arrive at the Vuelta fresh, they definitely have a good chance to win whether the big four participate or not. Look at what Dumoulin did last year.
Sadly for la belle France, Pinot didn't manage to green its laurels at the Dauphiné. Moreau remains the last French winner of the race. I don't know who could win TdS for France this year.

Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
IndianCyclist said:
Sadly for la belle France, Pinot didn't manage to green its laurels at the Dauphiné. Moreau remains the last French winner of the race. I don't know who could win TdS for France this year.
Pierre Latour. :D

I hope the French do win the Tour soon, it would boost the interest in the race massively and you would see much bigger crowds on the roads, also the French media wouldn't be so irresponsible and bad at reporting on other riders, as they wouldn't be blinded by jealousy.

TRENDING THREADS