• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Training when time is not a major concern

Please provide any references (or personal experiences) concerning training plans when the amount of time per day spent on training is NOT a major concern.

Most info that I've seen gives comparisons about training effectiveness when the duration of daily training is the same.
And these typically conclude that some type of 'interval' training is most efficient - i.e. gives best results for the amount of time spent training.

But what about for fhose of us who have some 'extra hours' that could be spent training?
Is it really necessary to do brutal intervals that WOULDN'T occur during an event?

Does the 'just ride a lot' method work when you've got the time to do it?

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Why are you doing intervals that wouldn't occur during a race?

Athletes do a variety of training since doing a race every day isn't an optimal stimulus. Doing long slow distance all day isn't optimal either. Pro athletes have all day to train and recover, you won't find many that just 'ride a lot' with no structure and no hard efforts.

I found this article which seems to give a thorough review of 'interval' (HIT) and 'continuous' (CT) training.

SPORTSCIENCE · sportsci.org
Perspectives / Training & Performance
Intervals, Thresholds, and Long Slow Distance: the Role of Intensity and Duration in Endurance Training
Stephen Seiler and Espen Tønnessen
Sportscience 13, 32-53, 2009 (sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm)

http://www.sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Re:

JayKosta said:
I found this article which seems to give a thorough review of 'interval' (HIT) and 'continuous' (CT) training.

SPORTSCIENCE · sportsci.org
Perspectives / Training & Performance
Intervals, Thresholds, and Long Slow Distance: the Role of Intensity and Duration in Endurance Training
Stephen Seiler and Espen Tønnessen
Sportscience 13, 32-53, 2009 (sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm)

http://www.sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

And what did you learn from the review? Seiler is the primary advocate for a polarized model of training.

Re: Re:

JamesCun said:
And what did you learn from the review? Seiler is the primary advocate for a polarized model of training.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't get the impression from the Seiller article that some single 'polarized' training model was advocated or seen as being superior to a 'blend' or 'mixed' training model.

As far as 'what I learned' -

1) There isn't a single predetermined training method or schedule that will work best for everyone. It's a 'learning process' that needs a good 'feedback loop' to be effective.

2) There's a difference between using intervals as a general 'model of training', and doing 'interval-like' training to prepare for situations that might occur during an event.

3) Interval training can be very effective and time-efficient for someone who has limited training time available, and for use as part of a 'mixed' training schedule to provide types of intensity and duration training that might otherwise be missed.

4) If a mixed training schedule includes an 'adequate' amount of interval-like training, then it's not necessary to also do a specific schedule of precise intervals. Some people need the structure of a very precise training schedule, and others don't. Knowing who-is-who goes back to #1.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Do you understand what the polarized training model is? Basically go easy on easy days and hard on hard days, keeping the in between intensities to a minimum. He certainly doesn't advocate a go long and easy all the time. Training more can be good, but not at the expense of quality intensity sessions. The type of intensity is totally up to each person whether it's short and fast or longer and more moderate.

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
It might help if you started with more info on the training systems you are seeing that suggest all intensity all the time. Most of what I see is mixed training. Studies that are looking at one factor are not meant to be a training system, they are just meant to inform how a system is put together.

If you are looking to optimize performance, you need a variety of intensities in training. Going long all the time won't maximize performance, unless maybe RAAM is your goal.

Re:

JamesCun said:
It might help if you started with more info on the training systems you are seeing that suggest all intensity all the time. Most of what I see is mixed training. Studies that are looking at one factor are not meant to be a training system, they are just meant to inform how a system is put together.
-------------------------
Yes, I agree - a mixed training program model is typical - and seems to give good results.

I'm very satisfied with the info and clarifications you've provided - thanks!
Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So we've established that even if you're riding 30 hours a week you still don't want to be riding just continuously at 70% of threshold (thank god!), but we don't seem to have got a whole lot further.

Some thoughts from my own riding:

It seems to me that when I've got more time (over a period of months) that it makes more sense to have a higher degree of periodisation -- more of an emphasis on volume, then intensity. But as you guys have said there's always a benefit to varied intensities.

More riding for me means keeping a closer eye on managing fatigue too. It can get easier to run myself down beyond a good level. So when time isn't a factor, flexibility in your training schedule is a strength; if you've only got one day to have a long ride and your body isn't cooperating, you either have to battle through or miss it; plenty of time and you can do it the next day.

... But yeah - an interesting discussion. Would like to hear more thoughts from people.

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
... I guess, following this line of thought, you end up with the question: 'what does a pro's training schedule look like?'

More out of general interest than something I'd ever want to implement.

Re:

Elegant Degenerate said:
... I guess, following this line of thought, you end up with the question: 'what does a pro's training schedule look like?'
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure there are several different types of training schedules used by various pro riders. The type of training that is most beneficial depends on individual personal factors, such as:
1) Is the person realistically capable of much physical improvement, or are they 'plateaued', or declining?
Is the person capable of fast recovery? What is their 'beginning of the season fitness level'?

2) How many and what type of events will be ridden as 'serious competition' (i.e. not merely for 'experience' or 'training').

An example worth considereing is Horner's win of the Spanish GT - he was fairly old (40+) and did not compete much that season due to injury. BUT by late in the season he was in very good physical shape and (in my view) he did not have the 'long season fatigue buildup' of the other GT contenders. The result was a winning performance that surprised many people.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA