• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2016 > 2017

Mayomaniac said:
The 2 most obvious teams for him would probably be the Hotsteppers (they will go after another big name) or Trek (replacement for Cance).
It's going to be a busy transfer period for the classic guys, the big teams will go after Vanmarcke, Sagan and Degenkolb.

I would think Giant need to extend with Degenkolb more than the other two are needed by their teams. Without Degenkolb who is the German face for a supposedly German team? The leader would be Dumoulin - and we won't find out until after this Giro if he just had a lucky Vuelta and isn't really a GT contender after all. LottoNL might want to have Boom back, even if he main focuses on 'cross. Anyhow, van Marcke really does need to move team, but he might be a season too early for Etixx: clearly Boonen is worth a leadership role for another season, and when you add Stybar and Terpstra, that's a lot of chiefs and not many Indians, as they say.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Boonen is still great for Paris-Roubaix, but after the massive fail in the Belgian cobbled classics I could see them going for a new leader for those races.
I don't really believe the Sagan to Etixx romour, yes Specialized would pay a part of his salary to keep him, but his ambitions at the Tour would probably clash with Kittel's.
There's a rumour about Astana wanting to sign Majka as a replacement for Nibali, with Aru probably going for the 100th Giro in 2017 that could work, he'd be the team leader at the Tour.

This belongs here too really:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/news-shorts-bmc-team-for-paris-roubaix-on-board-in-the-arenberg-video/

Bjarne Riis and Lars Seier Christensen are still working on building a WorldTour team, but admitted this week that the aim to launch the squad next year was probably too ambitious. In an interview with TV2 Sport, Riis said they are not close enough to signing a sponsor for the new team.

"We know that time is short to find sponsors. Some are already in place, but we do not have a title sponsor. We are not too nervous about the secondary sponsors and so on. There we have many contacts," Riis said.

The Dane said they have a strategy to attract a title sponsor and now just need to concentrate on getting one signed.

Riis brushed aside questions about his rumoured link to the nascent Bahrain pro cycling team of Prince Nasser Bin Hamad Al Khalifa that was reported in February, saying his first priority is making their own cycling team.

"This does not mean that there is not a possibility that I will do something else. So it might be that I was hired somewhere. But then it would of course not be our own project."

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

GP Blanco said:
Trek is planning to replace Cancellara with Degenkolb according to Telegraaf.

Etixx is in poleposition for Sagan in case Tinkoff will not find a new sponsor.
Specialized wants to keep Sagan and would probably pay a part of his salary, but with Kittel riding on the same team he'd no longer be able to go for the green jersey.
He would be be the team leader in M-S and for the RVV, his aggressive racing would suit the Hotsteppers very well.
TMP402 already mentioned the fact that Degenkolb is the big German star at Giant, so I don't know if he'll sign for another team, maybe if they offer him enough money and a strong team that is built around him.

much depends on what the Dutch riders will do.

Mollema and Boom contracts end this year. so LottoJumbo could get them, while letting Sep go.

Trek could have a shot at getting Vanmarcke. but if he stays at LottoJumbo, then Trek will have to look for a cobbles captain elsewhere.

Sure thing is Specialized is not going to let Sagan go away.

pastronef said:
much depends on what the Dutch riders will do.

Mollema and Boom contracts end this year. so LottoJumbo could get them, while letting Sep go.

Those riders already left because LottoNL can't afford them. No chance they can get them back. They don't have the money. That's also why Vanmarcke will leave.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
pastronef said:
Why would they want to?

Mollema's way too expensive for a guy who basically builds his entire season around finishing 8th at the Tour without showing his nose, while Boom's too much of a drama queen.

If LottoNL had enough cash to pay any of these two losers, they'd do better to spend it on bringing Dumoulin home.

Re:

Vroome.exe said:
I don't think Sagan is going to etixx. It's not only Kittel, they also have Gaviria, who will surely be their leader for MSR and might even do big cobble races. They just can't have these three riders together.
I don't think Gaviria is a problem. In fact, I think they could both benefit from riding together, where Sagan would be the attacker and Gaviria the sprinter. If Sagan goes on Poggio, he would have Gaviria behind, so he wouldn't be so pressured to secure the group to stay away, while Gaviria (and his lead-out man or whatever teammate he has left) wouldn't be forced to chase the group ahead and could 'just' concentrate on the sprint.

(edit: it's not like Sagan will have a great chance to win MSR in a bunch sprint on this course anyway)

The problem is obviously Kittel and the green jersey in the Tour.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Just for a change of pace it would be good to see what Sagan could do with one strong team mate, like I thought Moser could be with his win in SB a few years back - but that never amounted to anything.

Don't see him at Etixx unless there is a major overhaul, too many cooks...

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
LottoNL should try to get Gilbert as cobbles leader. Not waste their cash for Mollema and Boom. Although Boom looks like a good addition.
that would be the worst decision in the entire history of this planet.

Re:

trucido said:
Just for a change of pace it would be good to see what Sagan could do with one strong team mate, like I thought Moser could be with his win in SB a few years back - but that never amounted to anything.

Don't see him at Etixx unless there is a major overhaul, too many cooks...

Sky could make sense with Stannard, Rowe, Puccio and Moscon.

TRENDING THREADS