• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2016 > 2017

Page 123 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Valens Ndayisenga, the winner of the Tour du Rwanda has signed with Tirol Cycling Team.
It's nice to see that a legit European CT team is giving a good African prospect a chance, good Austrian prospects like Patrick Konrad, Mühlberger and Pöstlberger used to ride for that team.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Valens Ndayisenga, the winner of the Tour du Rwanda has signed with Tirol Cycling Team.
It's nice to see that a legit European CT team is giving a good African prospect a chance, good Austrian prospects like Patrick Konrad, Mühlberger and Pöstlberger used to ride for that team.
That's really cool. This will certainly generate extra publicity for the team and who knows, maybe he will get even some good results.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:

I hope they take him to the Ras. It's usually an important part of their season and they've won it two out of the last three years.

Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
rekhyt said:
Any news on Dion Smith?

I thought he was going to stay with One and did race in a One Pro Cycling jersey when he finished 3rd at the NZ nationals yet he's not listed as a One rider so I've got no idea what's going on with him.

Finally!

I've been wondering that myself, so I wrote him on facebook (I'm not on twitter) and got this reply:

"I have something good in the pipeline and will be announced on my Twitter in a few days"

Would've been kinda sad to see Dion Smith step a level down considering he's shown a lot of promise. Let's wait and see :cool:

LaFlorecita said:
Ricco' said:
Anyone knows anything about Francesco Manuel Bongiorno?

Read some time ago that he was close to Androni but that piece of news is already from November.
Nothing

Sad to think about that missed opportunity to win the Zoncolan stage at the Giro a few years back
Who knows where he would be now if he had won that stage

It would definetly have helped his career now, but to be honest Bongiorno whom I rated very high as an amateur and also started his procareer okay, has really not done much to deserve a new contract the last two years. Still he should be good enough to get another chance, and perhaps a new team would have been good for him to get his career back on track. Hopefully it can still happen. Bardiani has definetly not been lucky with the young climbertalents the last few years with now Bongiorno now following the failures of S. Locatelli and Manfredi. Hopefully Ciccone can change this in the next years.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

MADRAZO said:
LaFlorecita said:
Ricco' said:

Read some time ago that he was close to Androni but that piece of news is already from November.
Nothing

Sad to think about that missed opportunity to win the Zoncolan stage at the Giro a few years back

It would definetly have helped his career now, but to be honest Bongiorno whom I rated very high as an amateur and also started his procareer okay, has really not done much to deserve a new contract the last two years. Still he should be good enough to get another chance, and perhaps a new team would have been good for him to get his career back on track. Hopefully it can still happen. Bardiani has definetly not been lucky with the young climbertalents the last few years with now Bongiorno now following the failures of S. Locatelli and Manfredi. Hopefully Ciccone can change this in the next years.
I don't have high expectations when it comes to Ciccone's season, he just had a 2nd heart operation around Christmas, so I'm not expecting big things from him, at least for the first half of the season.

Mayomaniac said:
MADRAZO said:
LaFlorecita said:
Ricco' said:

Nothing

I don't have high expectations when it comes to Ciccone's season, he just had a 2nd heart operation around Christmas, so I'm not expecting big things from him, at least for the first half of the season.

Another cycling heart problem?!

Okay, I know this is a (mild) case of one's dead, another's bread.
Just as Westra's retirement opened up a spot at Wanty, taken by Dion Smith, wouldn't Meersman's retirement have opened up a spot at Fortuneo?

As for Ciccone. I hope they get his heart problems under control; having to retire at the age of 22 because of something like is too early. However, if they can't then I really hope he does the smart thing and retires. Retiring at the age of 22 is far better than the alternative.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Okay, I know this is a (mild) case of one's dead, another's bread.
Just as Westra's retirement opened up a spot at Wanty, taken by Dion Smith, wouldn't Meersman's retirement have opened up a spot at Fortuneo?

As for Ciccone. I hope they get his heart problems under control; having to retire at the age of 22 because of something like is too early. However, if they can't then I really hope he does the smart thing and retires. Retiring at the age of 22 is far better than the alternative.

Fortuneo stated they won't replace Meersman.

Too bad about the Ciccone news. Looks like the curse with their young climbers over the last years for Bardiani continues then. Hopefully he can bounce back.

Besides that something is seriously wrong with the teams recruting-politics if it seriously had to take a sudden vacant spot for Dion Smith to get a contract. Bigger teams should have made a coup and signed a talent like him cheap now when he became available. But good for him that he got a decent team to ride for afterall.

One needs to take his hat off to Westra as well. Eventually he had the courage to realize his lack of motivation, because of his problems and decided to resign rather than blocking a place and the paycheck at Wanty while being unable to train and ride. There ain't many guys who would've had that farsightedness in his situation. Simply because while being depressed you're logically focused on yourself and your issues quite naturally. That he still managed to take a decision that includes also his team, his family & friends and a young prospect imho shows his big character. Wish him all the best for the future!

Re:

An Post Chain Reaction team for 2017.

There's been a very big clear out. Everyone bar two of last year's riders and one of last year's stagiares is gone. In large part this means that a whole bunch of Belgian and Irish riders who hadn't developed as hoped have retired or moved on. The new line up is much younger and more international.

I don't know very much about them except that (1) Bokeloh won the junior WC a couple of years ago, (2) Gough won the u23 NZ TT a few days ago, Vanderaerden's father won loads of stuff decades ago.

Damien Shaw (Ire), Conor Hennebry (Ire), Sean McKenna (Ire), Matthew Teggart (Ire), Jacob Scott (GBr), Dan Gardner (GBr), Mark Stewart (GBr), Bas Tietema (Ned), Davy Gunst (Ned), Regan Gough (NZl), Massimo Vanderaeden (Bel), Premislav Kasperkiewicz (Pol), Jonas Bokeloh (Ger), Sean MacKinnon (Can), Adam Jamieson (Can)

TRENDING THREADS