• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He’s just seen a 19 year old (and last year’s JWC) take silver in the men’s TT, and a 20 year old take 3rd and 3 stages at the Vuelta. I’d find it odd if a Junior World Champ didn’t feel he could go straight to the pros.

Hopefully Trek can look after him.
Yeah my guess is it would be a highly invidivual thing and maybe a lot of u23s actually underdevelop cause they don't race hard enough in the years they should develop most.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
PCS has updated a buch of stuff today and it seems there are only 3 places left at EF, and that's assuming they want to go with the full 30-men squad, which is not a certainty.

If they actually hire Guerreiro, like the rumours said, it means at least one of three: Howes, Brown and Craddock will be out. If would be weird if they got rid of Howes now, when he is wearing the US national champion jersey, after he had spent his whole career with the team. Brown is not a great champion but a very dependable domestique and Craddock has had a really solid season. I would be slightly dissapointed if either of them has to go.
There's also Phinney- who I kind of expect to retire after the season but that's just my gut feeling.

Van Wilder will turn pro on January 1st with Lotto Soudal. Not a fan of going so early, I'd rather have seen him stay for another six months like Lotto always do. One World Tour raceday and he's ineligible to ride the Girobio or Valle d'Aosta. However, I think they felt some pressure to get him over early since there were more than a few teams interested in him.

Ilan himself has stated these are rumors by trash journalists, and that it is completely fabricated.

Om even verder op het nieuws in te gaan waar ik zogezegd een transfer ga maken in 2020 naar het profteam van Lotto-Soudal:
Van dit is helemaal niets waar. De pers vertelt dingen die ik nooit gezegd heb of nooit bevestigd heb. Riooljournalistiek en sensatiezoekers... na mijn seizoen zal ik pas een besluit nemen omtrent mijn toekomst, maar dan voor echt

On the morning of the TT, Belgian paper Het Nieuwsblad reported Ilan would jump to the WorldTour with Lotto-Soudal from the start of 2020. Ilan confirmed this is an option, but no final decision has been taken yet.

“I think I am physically ready to make the jump to the pros. I am deciding after my season, we are looking to see what is best for me and my development as a rider. Once that is done, I will decide.”

Why would Phinney retire at not-yet-30? It does seem like he’s raced more in their Rapha YouTube events than the World Tour this year, tbf.
I've read that he had already been considering retirement earlier but his Paris-Roubaix 2018 performance made him commit for some more time.

But his 2019 form has been really poor, and, what's even more telling, he only has 25 race days this year. He's not even worthy a WT contract on merit at his current sporting level on the road. DNF after DNF after DNF in classics, barely hanging on to survive in stage races and not a factor in ITTs anymore. When he actually did some work for his team in California, he ended up OTL on a stage where 89 out of 122 riders managed to finish within 5 minutes of the stage winner.

Aldag is done as DS on DD.

I wonder who they sign to run their classics squad instead?

Michaelsen spring to mind, he worked with both Valgren, Kreuziger and Nizzolo before, and is quitting Astana at the end of the season.

Team NTT confirms Lars Michaelsen as new head DS.

https://africasteam.com/michaelsen-assumes-new-head-sports-director-role-with-team-ntt

He was largely instrumental in building Astanas classics squad up, from a non-factor to arguably the 2nd best team behind DQ, so it will be interesting to see what he can do at NTT.

The only way is up for that team.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already - Het Nieuwsblad states that the ICA takeover of Katusha is a done deal. But ICA intend to keep most of their 27 contracted riders, meaning there isn't room for the 11 Katusha riders with contracts for next year. Apparently a maximum of 7 Katusha riders will make the switch, and Alex Dowsett is one rider who will miss out...

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190925_04627172

• Wow
Not sure if this has been mentioned already - Het Nieuwsblad states that the ICA takeover of Katusha is a done deal. But ICA intend to keep most of their 27 contracted riders, meaning there isn't room for the 11 Katusha riders with contracts for next year. Apparently a maximum of 7 Katusha riders will make the switch, and Alex Dowsett is one rider who will miss out...

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190925_04627172
I feel like Dowsett will land on his feet, but it’s really a question of what does any team want with a 31 year old former Hour record holder who wins about 1 minor stage race TT per year. He could strengthen a ttt squad.

If that’s the case, a lot of people have been doing a lot of unfair moaning about his equipment choices
Well, it’s a chicken/egg situation, isn’t it. Presumably the question came up at some point about what wind tunnel etc work Dennis would do as prep for Worlds. And at some stage he must have told them “I’m taking a non-sponsor bike to the Australian Institute for Sport, and have my own training schedule. I don’t need you to send me a bike, or a skin suit, or a helmet.”

Well, it’s a chicken/egg situation, isn’t it. Presumably the question came up at some point about what wind tunnel etc work Dennis would do as prep for Worlds. And at some stage he must have told them “I’m taking a non-sponsor bike to the Australian Institute for Sport, and have my own training schedule. I don’t need you to send me a bike, or a skin suit, or a helmet.”
TBF everyone was using kits from their Federation, not trade team.

Reactions: claude cat

TRENDING THREADS