• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Campenaerts to Dimension Data

I'm sure that's a very clever decision career wise cough cough

The problem is that it's hard to find a rider who had a decent season at Dimension Data in the past two years, let alone a very good one. There has to be something wrong on the sporting side of that team but maybe they'll be able to turn it around like other teams have done in the past.

Dan Martin signs with Israel Cycling Academy
That's a great move. His real strength is one-day races and stage hunting, and now he'll be able to do that without pressure. I predict -- and hope -- that he'll have a good year next year. It was a little depressing to see Martin struggle this year as a GC rider, energy drinks nothwithstanding...

edit: just to add to that a little bit: It shows that there's not a lot of appetite out there for onetime GC candidates who are in mid-career. Same with Quintana to Arkea. Sure, he and Martin could ride for GC but there's not much value for either them or Pro Conti teams in finishing, say, 9th at the Giro...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Dan Martin wen to UAE as a GC contender for the Tour ...hence the 2 million pay packet . He was never going tot deliver that for various reasons but UAE threw away their money (same for their investment in Rui Costa & Henao) (But they do have Aru and Podgcar who may yet deliver)

Dan Martin is a far better one day classic rider and also a stage hunter but I guess there were not the big bucks in that profile ...and with riders like Allaphillipe and new guys on the block one day results are hard to comeby ...But Dan Martin can deliver some wins for ICA
They just need the invites to Ardennes and stage races ...guess they just got them...

Reactions: StephenC2020
That's a great move. His real strength is one-day races and stage hunting, and now he'll be able to do that without pressure. I predict -- and hope -- that he'll have a good year next year. It was a little depressing to see Martin struggle this year as a GC rider, energy drinks nothwithstanding...

edit: just to add to that a little bit: It shows that there's not a lot of appetite out there for onetime GC candidates who are in mid-career. Same with Quintana to Arkea. Sure, he and Martin could ride for GC but there's not much value for either them or Pro Conti teams in finishing, say, 9th at the Giro...
Aren't both teams looking to go WT? Anyway, I think the situations are a bit different. Martin is 4 years older and on the back end of his career and not the GC candidate Nairo is even if he hasn't produced lately. I'm sure Arkea hopes to get a GT win or at least a podium out of him. I agree that Martin should focus on one days and stage hunting.

Does Israel Cycling Academy actually get invites to any grand tour? Androni Giocattoli & Bardiani (maybe Yellofluo instead) should be safe for the Giro d'Italia and I don't see them heading to the Tour de France either. Even if Wanty lost Martin, there are still Arkea & Fortuneo!

Either Arkea or ICA possibly gets the Katusha license. But only one of them becomes world tour.

There ain't no rumors that RCS & ASO pull their races from the world tour either. Vini Fantini wouldn't fold in that case. There should be clausules that weren't there, back in 2008 as well. Although it would make sense with the UCI being too incompetent to get rid of Barloworld 2.0 and thus local farm teams folding. But that mainly hurts the Giro d'Italia, with the 3 incompetent Frenchmen covering their disabilities. Hence, why Cofidis & Total turn world tour to avoid the battle for 2 wildcards and thus Prudhomme goes accord with the 20 teams WT as he gets sponsorship money from Dimension Data anyway.

ICA might get a Tour de France wildcard with Martin though, as 5 French teams are enough for Prudhomme and Furtuneo got snubbed anyway in 2018 & 2019!

5 French teams at the 2020 Tour de France, but only 2 Italian teams plus UAE at the 2020 Giro d'Italia.... It's just ridiculous!

Last edited:
Swiss rider Johan Jacobs joins Movistar on a two-year deal as well.

Very interesting signing, not really what I'd consider a rider Movistar would usually target.

Source: https://movistarteam.com/en/2019-08-16/johan-jacobs-signing

It is an interesting signing. He should be well suited to the northern classics, which aren't really Movistar's typical target races. However, with Valverde close to the end of his career (2 more years) maybe they finally figured out they really need to find a classics rider? I like the signing if he can get just a little support for those races as I happen to be a fan of the classics.

Dan Martin wen to UAE as a GC contender for the Tour ...hence the 2 million pay packet . He was never going tot deliver that for various reasons but UAE threw away their money (same for their investment in Rui Costa & Henao) (But they do have Aru and Podgcar who may yet deliver)

Dan Martin is a far better one day classic rider and also a stage hunter but I guess there were not the big bucks in that profile ...and with riders like Allaphillipe and new guys on the block one day results are hard to comeby ...But Dan Martin can deliver some wins for ICA
They just need the invites to Ardennes and stage races ...guess they just got them...
Martin got UAE a top 10 (attacking too 10, mind, not a Meintjies ninja 10th) and a stage win last year. I’d say that’s about as much as they expected from him, and a top 5 was a stretch goal. His classics seasons have actually been a bit disappointing in recent years, but not through neglect (illness this year, bad form last year).

ICA have been to the Giro the last 2 years, probably something to do with the Gran Partenza in Jerusalem last year. But Martin has been avoiding the Giro since the Garmin TTT crash in Belfast, precisely because (as he says) it’s not possible to prepare for the Ardennes and then turn around and race the Giro. There has to be a chance that ICA doesn’t go to the Tour in 2020, in which case maybe Martin could target the Giro. And even complete his set of GT stage wins.

Does Israel Cycling Academy actually get invites to any grand tour? Androni Giocattoli & Bardiani (maybe Yellofluo instead) should be safe for the Giro d'Italia and I don't see them heading to the Tour de France either. Even if Wanty lost Martin, there are still Arkea & Fortuneo!

Either Arkea or ICA possibly gets the Katusha license. But only one of them becomes world tour.

There ain't no rumors that RCS & ASO pull their races from the world tour either. Vini Fantini wouldn't fold in that case. There should be clausules that weren't there, back in 2008 as well. Although it would make sense with the UCI being too incompetent to get rid of Barloworld 2.0 and thus local farm teams folding. But that mainly hurts the Giro d'Italia, with the 3 incompetent Frenchmen covering their disabilities. Hence, why Cofidis & Total turn world tour to avoid the battle for 2 wildcards and thus Prudhomme goes accord with the 20 teams WT as he gets sponsorship money from Dimension Data anyway.

ICA might get a Tour de France wildcard with Martin though, as 5 French teams are enough for Prudhomme and Furtuneo got snubbed anyway in 2018 & 2019!

5 French teams at the 2020 Tour de France, but only 2 Italian teams plus UAE at the 2020 Giro d'Italia.... It's just ridiculous!

Won't Israel win the Pro Continental ranking quite surely, thereby securing them wild cards for all three Grand Tours?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
After early promises at Vacansoleil he's stalled due to his injury record. Van Poppel won't be number 1 anymore on any WT team. Groenenwegen, WvA & Theunissen all surpassed him at Jumbo, with a potential arrival of Kittel still looming around.

At Wanty he leads the team at a couple of prestigious seconds division races and probably wins some of them. He isn't exactly worse than Laporte, while Coquard & Bouhanni haven't gotten their act together as well for some time and thus on paper are equal.

On most WT teams he fits as a domestique primarily. We always lament that in difference to the Zeros riders nowadays chose to be wt domestiques rather than captains on ambitious pro continental teams! So we should applause DvP move IMHO!