• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, if they retain the best of both squads it's an improvement on where they were.

With the riders they will have it would be an attractive option for a very top rider or two. Take the lead out guys available and put someone like Bennett on the end and there's potential for quite a few sprint wins.

If Dan Martin is indeed no longer riding GTs for General then the amalgamated team will be able to offer a strong team of climbing domestiques and no leadership qualms. Trying to lure across a rider like Marc Soler or George Bennett would be a good idea.

As for the classics, Pollitt is developing nicely.

Soler is under contract though 2021 and will have a greater leadership role with Movistar next year. Remember both Quintana and Landa are leaving. Yes they are bringing in Mas and Valverde is still there, however there is room for 3 GC riders with as large as the calendar is. He'll have chances next season to prove himself.

Reactions: Sandisfan
They'll have to sign some very strong riders to escape mediocrity.
The problem with Katusha has never been talent. Good riders have gone there and stunk. Then left and improved. They haven’t had someone get consistent results since Purito retired and Kristoff left. Sort out the coaching and support, and the team could very well improve without any big money signings.

Quinten Hermans and Corne van Kessel to Wanty for 3 years.
Few months ago their manager said that Hermans is only available in package with his buddy, looks like he wasn't kidding.
They will keep riding cyclocross for new Wanty team called Tormans CX.

Maurits Lammertink has also signed for Wanty from Rompoot according to cyclingfever. Wanty been very busy on the transfer market but haven't signed anyone to replace Martin for the GC.

Does anyone have any news about Rompoot finding a new sponsor?

EF got a lot of young riders with a lot of potential for next season that will be interesting to follow. Got some older and more experienced riders on their roster too. They have had a good season. Only thing they might be missing is a sprinter.
Halvorsen was rumoured to join them. He is still not confirmed anywhere for 2020 so it might happen. Vaughters said a couple of weeks ago that this year on the transfer market he had been looking for a young spinter with a room to develop so Halvorsen would fit the bill perfectly.

GVFTA

BANNED
That's the rumor that had made the most sense for a while. Not surprised that's what is actually going to happen.

Unfortunately, for the sport as a whole, it is losing one billionaire's sponsorship and replacing it with another billionaire's money. It would be much better to see corporations interested in sponsoring a team. Those days may be disappearing quicker than even the sceptics think.

Reactions: Koronin
Unfortunately, for the sport as a whole, it is losing one billionaire's sponsorship and replacing it with another billionaire's money. It would be much better to see corporations interested in sponsoring a team. Those days may be disappearing quicker than even the sceptics think.
Corporations can be just as fickle as billionaires. As soon as Movistar corporate decide that cycling isn’t something they want to associate with their brand, they’ll be as gone as Europcar or Skil-Shimano/Giant-Alpecin. Peugeot sponsored a team for half a century. Then they became Pyjamas (well, Z), then Gan, then they disappeared.

Much more sustainable would be if cycling teams had their own identity separate from their sponsor. It’s popular to hate on Vaughters on here, but Slipstream Sports is about the only non-sponsor related name I can think of for any current WT team. So for all their juggling with Garmindale p/b Rapha with a side of Education First, the team still retains that argyle identity.

Ironically, considering Slipstream have had to merge at least twice to survive, by picking Movistar you've probably picked the team whose non-sponsor identity, Abarcá Sports, is best known of the other WT teams, seeing as they've had to reinvent themselves several times over their 40 year history.
I’ve heard the name Abarca before, and I know the history of the Banesto team going back to Reynolds etc, but I guess I had never properly put them together in my mind. And I guess that’s my point, I wish these teams would put their own branding a bit more front and center. So that when the sponsor moves on, as all sponsors do, the team still keeps a bit of that self (be it some colour, style of kit, a bike sponsor, whatever).

Instead, we now have Jumbo-Visma claiming that Roglic’s Vuelta win is the team’s first ever Grand Tour, despite Menchov’s wins with Rabobank. If they have some classics success are they going to also deny knowledge of VanHooydonck, Sorensen and Freire?

Van Baarle re-signs for 3 years.

Squad of 20 currently for Team INEOS.

8 left unsigned - Poels (Bahrain-Merida), Kiryienka (1 year deal), Knees (1 year deal), De La Cruz (Movistar Team), Golas (1 year deal), Halvorsen (EF Education First), Henao (2 year deal), Basso (?)

Sky/Ineos have never dropped below 28 riders and my prediction of moves/deals currently has them at 24 riders. To me there doesn't seem to be 3/4 names on the market that would interest Ineos so could they be buying out contracts? Dennis for example. Maybe they will have a bunch of youngsters again like the last couple of years?

Only names I can think of that would interest them are:

Tom Pidcock
Pello Bilbao
Esteban Chaves
Ruben Fernandez

But then I don't think these are likely (except Pidcock) as they will either re-sign or have been linked elsewhere.

Van Baarle re-signs for 3 years.

Squad of 20 currently for Team INEOS.

8 left unsigned - Poels (Bahrain-Merida), Kiryienka (1 year deal), Knees (1 year deal), De La Cruz (Movistar Team), Golas (1 year deal), Halvorsen (EF Education First), Henao (2 year deal), Basso (?)

Sky/Ineos have never dropped below 28 riders and my prediction of moves/deals currently has them at 24 riders. To me there doesn't seem to be 3/4 names on the market that would interest Ineos so could they be buying out contracts? Dennis for example. Maybe they will have a bunch of youngsters again like the last couple of years?

Only names I can think of that would interest them are:

Tom Pidcock
Pello Bilbao
Esteban Chaves
Ruben Fernandez

But then I don't think these are likely (except Pidcock) as they will either re-sign or have been linked elsewhere.
Chaves isn't going anywhere unless Matt White does something stupid, he is too grateful. Even then I believe that the first person he'd speak to would be Neil Stephens at UAE.

As for Pidcock, Ineos is only interested in British riders who came up through the BC Programme, just ask Adam Yates or James Knox.

Reactions: LaFlorecita
De Tier will leave Jumbo-Visma at the end of the season. He is confident he will find a team for next season.

TRENDING THREADS