• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bennett and Archbold on their way to QS, according to Lefevere.

source:

Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe they'll take Leopold König back, I hear he doesn't have a contract next year.
Intxausti, Kennaugh and Boswell as well?! ;) (edit: thinking about it, Boswell could really make sense)

I can't see much of a chance for anyone to still pick up König, to be honest. Maybe Elkov-Author (where he started his career) would let him ride for free, but I guess that's about it

Last edited:
Lefevere says in the Belgian media that Bora are agreeing to let Bennett go and he will be going to DCQ. He seems to imply that Bora were trying to force Bennett to pay but have realized that they couldn’t do much with an unwilling rider on their books.

Edited to add: I see 18 Valve already posted this!

Last edited:
I don't believe a single word coming out of Lefevere's mouth, but yes, I'm glad this is finally settled.

It was an absurd situation. I don’t know how Bora ever hoped to keep Sagan, Ackermann and Bennett on the same team for another year. What did they think was going to happen if they got their way, that all three would play nice again?

Last edited:
It was an absurd situation. I don’t know how Bora ever hoped to keep Sagan, Ackermann and Bennett on the same team for another year. What did they think was going to happen if they got their way, that all three would play nice again?

It's gonna be a real fun season if Ackermann and Sam end up with very similar race programs. Personally I think Sam is on a whole other level to Ackermann but I am biased

I think with a Quickstep leadout train like we’ve seen in recent seasons, Bennett really ought to be beating Ackerman 9 times out of 10. But with Sabatini and Richeze off to other pastures this year, will QS still have the same quality of leadout?

Also, Ackermann is 5 years younger than Bennett, and is trajectory can only be upwards right now.

I think with a Quickstep leadout train like we’ve seen in recent seasons, Bennett really ought to be beating Ackerman 9 times out of 10. But with Sabatini and Richeze off to other pastures this year, will QS still have the same quality of leadout?

Also, Ackermann is 5 years younger than Bennett, and is trajectory can only be upwards right now.

Still got Morkov, Senechal and maybe Hodeg. Lampaert showed some quickness this fall and then they added Ballerini. But I dont know if they make up for losing two of the best in the business. Still got the numbers, but the quality?

Still got Morkov, Senechal and maybe Hodeg. Lampaert showed some quickness this fall and then they added Ballerini. But I dont know if they make up for losing two of the best in the business. Still got the numbers, but the quality?
Sabatini hasn't been any good for several years now, and Richeze also got a bit slower. Morkov has been the best lead out man for them this season, DQS will be more than fine.

Reactions: Nirvana
Yeah that’s a highly weird signing. A 26 year old Asia Tour sprinter? I mean he does win in Asia, but it seems hard to imagine Bora signing a guy to compete with Shane Archbold or one of Ackermann’s leadouts for the chance to be fourth choice sprinter.

If Bennett (and Archbold) are gone it’s a little less bizarre. You’d think they’d go for someone either younger or established at a higher level, but from his point of view it’s a great opportunity

If you're not from one of the top Euro countries how else are you going to break into the world tour if not through Asian tour racing or similar. Estonia is hardly a giant in world cycling.

If you're not from one of the top Euro countries how else are you going to break into the world tour if not through Asian tour racing or similar. Estonia is hardly a giant in world cycling.

He rode for Delko a couple of years and his performance was dissapointing. I think he lacks the endurance to race in the European pro calendar, but he could be a great fix for italian teams riding Asian calendar hunting stages and points.

You go to one of the big cycling countries and get an amateur or semi pro ride. Which is what Irish riders traditionally do for instance. Laas did do that. The Asia Tour was his second go at making it.

I’m not suggesting that there’s anything wrong with signing riders from the Asia Tour, by the way. But a team with some of the best sprinters in the world signing a 26 year old Asia Tour sprinter is pretty peculiar. One of the WT teams with little sprint talent taking a chance on him would be less weird.

I’m not suggesting that there’s anything wrong with signing riders from the Asia Tour, by the way. But a team with some of the best sprinters in the world signing a 26 year old Asia Tour sprinter is pretty peculiar. One of the WT teams with little sprint talent taking a chance on him would be less weird.
well, Bora found some room for Pelucchi, and Laas is better than him.

Back at Delko he didn't feel comfortable and it reflected in his results, but I'm pretty sure at Bora he'll do better than most of you seem to think.

well, Bora found some room for Pelucchi, and Laas is better than him.

Back at Delko he didn't feel comfortable and it reflected in his results, but I'm pretty sure at Bora he'll do better than most of you seem to think.
According to the press release Laas was signed to strengthen BORA's sprint train.

No mention at all that he gets to target his own results also.

Pelucchi was signed as a sprinter.

The Italian system produces way too many sprinters that are really fast, but get dropped on the smallest hill that you can find (Pelucchi, Guardini, Kuba and probably also Minali).

Mareczko is also terrible at positioning himself and apart from a couple of second places in the Giro, he has never come close to winning on the WorldTour.

Minali is just bad all-around and isn't even fast.

That's not to say that Pelucchi does not have the weakness you say he has - he's just more useful as a sprinter than the others (or at least he was a few years ago).

Wasn't there also a nice story about him? I don't recall what it was but it made him look really nice.

TRENDING THREADS