• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Corendon - Circus will have anice team next year : besides MVDP the team signed Modolo, Vakoc

nothing on PCS but Nieuwsblad seems to be sure about it...
Could you copy paste the article here, or send it to me in pm? I'm quite interested :)

Boohoo I've no sympathy. Don't relegate your quickest sprinter for someone else just cause he ain't from your country

Their job is to sell German kitchen equipment and German bathrooms. Ackermann was also younger and had a longer contract. Given that both are top tier sprinters, Bora made the rational choice in prioritising him. Having made that choice, it should be noted, they didn’t then just cut their losses with Bennett and screw him over by giving him all the minor races. They gave him a very good calendar outside of the GTs. I think Bennett was right to leave, but I don’t think Bora were either malicious or unreasonable.

We all have our favourites, and Bennett is one of mine, but I think you’d have to be very one eyed not to notice that Ackermann was also superb this year.

Their job is to sell German kitchen equipment and German bathrooms. Ackermann was also younger and had a longer contract. Given that both are top tier sprinters, Bora made the rational choice in prioritising him. Having made that choice, it should be noted, they didn’t then just cut their losses with Bennett and screw him over by giving him all the minor races. They gave him a very good calendar outside of the GTs. I think Bennett was right to leave, but I don’t think Bora were either malicious or unreasonable.

We all have our favourites, and Bennett is one of mine, but I think you’d have to be very one eyed not to notice that Ackermann was also superb this year.

Ackermann was good this year you are right and I do understand helping a young German progress but I feel Bennett had the right to second choice after Sagan given his season the year before. Mostly my anger in the last post was towards Bora's comments towards one of the key riders in their growth and actions about the contract of a rider they were not willing to back properly

Reactions: Sandisfan
if Bennett, as Bora says, really signed an agreement to stay with the team (and apparently after not being lined up for the Giro), they have every right not to be happy, tbh
Originally they said he had a verbal agreement but that could mean any number of things and if the authorities involved say it wasn't binding then it can't have been much. But ya they are pissed and I agree they should be but be a grown up and don't cry about it on social media

It says exactly the same in german. The team seems to be really pissed.

That comment of Bora is just straight ***. Why not let him go immediately then. Rumors are that it went as far as him not cycling at all if he would have had to stay. They tried to play it hard with him. And thats ok if you went to go that way. But don’t put a dumb hypocrite comment like that in a press release.

Originally they said he had a verbal agreement but that could mean any number of things and if the authorities involved say it wasn't binding then it can't have been much. But ya they are pissed and I agree they should be but be a grown up and don't cry about it on social media
tbh I can't remember if it was Bora or Bennett who initially said that it was a verbal agreement, but today Denk stated that it was a written one, and that the UCI confirmed that it was binding

In the end, I guess both sides didn't really play fair - but kudos for both, Bora and Bennett, for not having it take any influence on the road. Bora kept on supporting him, and Bennett kept on delivering results, although this must have been going on for a couple of months already.

tbh I can't remember if it was Bora or Bennett who initially said that it was a verbal agreement, but today Denk stated that it was a written one, and that the UCI confirmed that it was binding

In the end, I guess both sides didn't really play fair - but kudos for both, Bora and Bennett, for not having it take any influence on the road. Bora kept on supporting him, and Bennett kept on delivering results, although this must have been going on for a couple of months already.
Ya in fairness from Bora's point of view they played the season well and had an almost DQ style year long season of wins but it was never gonna work long term

Where exactly has Bora "cried about it on social media"? All I can find is a quite sober press release and an interview by Ralph Denk with a German cycling news site.

Corendon - Circus will have anice team next year : besides MVDP the team signed Modolo, Vakoc

nothing on PCS but Nieuwsblad seems to be sure about it...

Bakelants would be a great addition too.

Van der Poel is starting to get some serious reinforcements. Things are looking good for next year.

Corendon still need at least another 1-2 riders who can persuade race organisers to give them wildcards though, especially if they want to start the Vuelta.

Last edited:
17 18 19 20

I count four numbers.

I... might have forgotten to include next year in that equation...

Corendon still need at least another 1-2 riders who can persuade race organisers to give them wildcards though, especially if they want to start the Vuelta.

The cynical person would say that they might want to sign some Spanish riders if they want to start the Vuelta. Maybe some of the guys from Euskadi-Murias.

If they make a serious effort to get into the Vuelta, including sending MVDP to various smaller ASO races, I can’t see them having any difficulty getting an invite. There’s no bigger star on a PCT team. And it being his first GT would bring bonus publicity.
yeah, with the start in Holland it sounds likely. It would probably mean that (if Total doesn't hand back the wildcard) Caja Rural is the only Spanish PCT team to get into the Vuelta though

Is there a cutoff point for the wildcard teams to declare participation in a race ?
strictly speaking, in Total's case it's not a "wildcard" but an "obligatory invitation". And all I could find officially stated about this is "At least 40 days before the event, each invited team informs the organiser in writing whether it wishes to participate in the event or not" in the UCI Organiser's Guide

This may be changed though, I guess, as it's not really a practicable time frame for this kind of "invitations".

TRENDING THREADS