• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pollitt is not going to INEOS. Kennaugh is retired.

I bet on Dennis and Amador (wasn't Basso extending as well?). I don't think neither Boswell nor Kenanugh will be returning to Sky.
I read somewhere on Twitter today (can't find the tweet right now) that Dennis has been seen training in Spain wearing INEOS-bibs, so wouldn't surprise me if there's an announcement soon.

If they can provide good TT equipment he makes sense for any team - guaranteed TT wins, a top class rouleur, a decent climber.

The one issue he could have with the Canyon bikes is they only have 3 sizes. it seems he needs a manufacturer that has at least 4 size options. The other thing is his temperament may not mesh well with their team. If the Canyon bikes do fit him well, he'd be a great asset for TTTs and pulling on flat or rolling terrain.

The one issue he could have with the Canyon bikes is they only have 3 sizes. it seems he needs a manufacturer that has at least 4 size options. The other thing is his temperament may not mesh well with their team. If the Canyon bikes do fit him well, he'd be a great asset for TTTs and pulling on flat or rolling terrain.

Er, what kind of logic is that? Why would he need more than one size option if the one they have suits him?

Why wouldn't they? And why would 4 bikes be a guarantee for that?

I have never heard of such a thing as a reason for not chosing a specific team and you just present it as obvious facts.

That was one of the complaints with the Merida bike that it didn't fit right. That's the other brand that only has 3 options. The rest of the bikes the WT teams use appear to have either 4 or 5 options. You're correct that having more options isn't a guarantee that he'll find one that fits correctly.

We also don't know if any brand would do a custom measured bike for him either.

That was one of the complaints with the Merida bike that it didn't fit right. That's the other brand that only has 3 options. The rest of the bikes the WT teams use appear to have either 4 or 5 options. You're correct that having more options isn't a guarantee that he'll find one that fits correctly.

Major bike manufacturing companies, particularly the ones with the money to sponsor World Tour teams, don’t do custom frames any more, particularly not out of Carbon as the mold and layup process is so expensive for a one-off item. [/broadest of broad brush strokes]

The nearest I’ve heard of a major bike comany doing a custom carbon bike, is the Specialized Roubaix; supposedly the size L model from the late 00’s/early 10’s was essentially a bike tailor made for Tom Boonen, and then since they had the mold, they just made and remade it a million times over to sell to the public.

If Dennis was riding in the 90’s he would’ve just gone to his favourite frame builder in Adelaide and asked them to do a steel/Ti/Al mock-up of whatever brand he was being paid to ride and nobody would know. Nowadays you’ve got the Caley Fretzes in every pitlane at every pro race telling all of YouTube that “these wheels say Joe’s Round Things on them, but they’re really the new Unobtainium X Pro unbadged.”

Reactions: Koronin
Major bike manufacturing companies, particularly the ones with the money to sponsor World Tour teams, don’t do custom frames any more, particularly not out of Carbon as the mold and layup process is so expensive for a one-off item. [/broadest of broad brush strokes]

The nearest I’ve heard of a major bike comany doing a custom carbon bike, is the Specialized Roubaix; supposedly the size L model from the late 00’s/early 10’s was essentially a bike tailor made for Tom Boonen, and then since they had the mold, they just made and remade it a million times over to sell to the public.

If Dennis was riding in the 90’s he would’ve just gone to his favourite frame builder in Adelaide and asked them to do a steel/Ti/Al mock-up of whatever brand he was being paid to ride and nobody would know. Nowadays you’ve got the Caley Fretzes in every pitlane at every pro race telling all of YouTube that “these wheels say Joe’s Round Things on them, but they’re really the new Unobtainium X Pro unbadged.”

Thanks. Then likely he needs to figure out which brands make a TT bike he's happy with and then figure out which teams use those brands and hope he can come to terms with one of them.

I don't see it being an issue for Pinarello.

"Nowadays you’ve got the Caley Fretzes in every pitlane at every pro race " you dont need to be one of the "Caley Fretzes" as you call him. I can see if he´s riding a Pinarello Bolide or another debadged brand, if you follow the racing you know what the riders are using

Nah, but German cycling media and also Rick Zabel in his podcast were hinting at it being a done deal very bluntly.
I think there's not much doubt about it indeed. He had a contract for 2020 with Katusha, and therefor he now also has one with ICA.

The only way for him to sign elsewhere is if ICA let's him go - which they did with guys like Tanfield and Debusschere, but surely not with Politt.

Why wouldn't they? And why would 4 bikes be a guarantee for that?

I have never heard of such a thing as a reason for not chosing a specific team and you just present it as obvious facts.
Word is Dennis' gripe with the Merida Warp was that the geometry just didn't work for him. Merida only has a range of 3 sizes for it, with their medium supposedly fitting riders from 167cm to 187 cm. Which means they either fit you or they don't.

I haven't seen Canyon's geometry charts but there may be a similar issue.

Huh? So... apparently there are some legal issues preventing Sofia Bertizzolo from joining Movistar next year, but... she's joining from a team that's folding! Can someone with better understanding of Spanish enlighten me?
Nevermind, figured it out. Though, I don't think it makes much sense...

Last edited:
Word is Dennis' gripe with the Merida Warp was that the geometry just didn't work for him. Merida only has a range of 3 sizes for it, with their medium supposedly fitting riders from 167cm to 187 cm. Which means they either fit you or they don't.

I haven't seen Canyon's geometry charts but there may be a similar issue.

Going by Pinarello's website they offer the Bolide in four, so it shouldn't be an issue.

TRENDING THREADS