• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfusion points??

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

dajonker said:
Do you have any idea how many pills cyclists are swallowing during an average grand tour day? It's a lot more convenient to just inject them, and that's what they used to do until they made it illegal.

Do you have any idea how prevalent blood doping was at that time?

Galic Ho said:
I was about to add in that it was the 98 Giro not the 99 Giro, because Marco was banned in 99. You beat me to it.
Actually, Marco was dominating the '99 Giro, and two days from the finish in Milan he crushed everyone on back to back mountain stages culminating at the Madonna di Campiglio and had actually "earned" all three leaders jerseys at that point. But that night the vampires came, his hct was too high, and the rest is history.

The photo was so obscure, I figured it to be from '99, not '98. But I was incorrect.

Recommend anyone wanting to know about needles, IV's and drips from the "good old days" to read Willy Voet's excellent book, Breaking the Chain.

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Breaking the Chain

Alpe d'Huez said:
Actually, Marco was dominating the '99 Giro, and two days from the finish in Milan he crushed everyone on back to back mountain stages culminating at the Madonna di Campiglio and had actually "earned" all three leaders jerseys at that point. But that night the vampires came, his hct was too high, and the rest is history.

The photo was so obscure, I figured it to be from '99, not '98. But I was incorrect.

Recommend anyone wanting to know about needles, IV's and drips from the "good old days" to read Willy Voet's excellent book, Breaking the Chain.

Yes, it's a very revealing book. It also has Emma's statement about her makeup being too pale for LA's skin tone, so he sent her out to buy cover-up makeup base, to hide needlemarks that would, he said "be misinterpreted by the press" - or words to that effect.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
B.Rasmussen said:
He is the same.

Cheers. Question was on my mind and wanted to know. His name is not that uncommon that two people cannot share it. I mean there is a Bob Stapleton and a Bill Stapleton involved in cycling. Most people don't know whom either is, let alone there are two with very similar names. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I assumed he was, just needed clarification as I was not into cycling when Motorola was around.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

As my previous post said, I didn't really follow cycling religiously then so I've had to fill in the gaps. I've seen the footage of Marco outside of court in a doco claiming it was all a mistake, but figured the blood test came before the Giro started. The doco wasn't clear, Liggett was commentating. Plus it was a Lance doco, so that may be why. That really is bad luck. Or poor planning, depending on which side of the fence one sits.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
dajonker said:
Do you have any idea how many pills cyclists are swallowing during an average grand tour day? It's a lot more convenient to just inject them, and that's what they used to do until they made it illegal.

You're not ex pro Patrick Jonkers are you?

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
iainf72 said:
One of Ashenden's proposals is to photograph the possible tranfusion points daily for evidence of recent naughtiness

Cheap and easy.
Good idea.

Or they can check randomly 20 riders each day, before any injection, doctors should record their injection (date, hour, medicine, injection point) by cellphone or internet. (Or request agreement ? Do it in a common area with supervison?)