• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Travis Tygart interview 60 Minutes

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aleajactaest said:
BTW, I did almost laugh when he said that doping was not prevalent in the sport when Lance was racing.

Why did you claim Travis Tygart said that?

Please explain because 1.) there is nothing in the transcript to support that and 2.) Tygart has repeatedly said elsewhere he knows that doping was prevalent in the sport.

Aleajactaest said:
LA already has a lifetime ban. If he comes to the T&R ( assuming that happens) and he gives up everything he knows, why should that not be factored into his status?

Quote TT: "If you traffic, if you distribute, if you possess, if you use the number of substances that he used over the period of time that he used, then you cover it up and you refuse to come in and be part of the solution, the rules mandate a lifetime ban. But the lowest his ban could go under the rules would be to an eight-year suspension."

SlantParallelogram said:
I was surprised to hear Tygart had received death threats. I had heard about him getting veiled threats. However, I didn't know he had been threatened with getting shot.

An interesting question is why the US Atty did not prosecute Armstrong for witness intimidation or witness tampering. Even if the US Atty decided there was not enough evidence on the drug or conspiracy charges against Armstrong, there surely had to have been enough to get him for witness intimidation or tampering considering the threats that were sent.
The only instance of witness intimidation that could be tied to Armstrong, AFAIK, is the restaurant scene with Hamilton. But even that is a he said/he said situation, as I don't think anyone else heard what Hamilton has alleged that Armstrong said. Oh, and maybe the "run don't walk" text to Levi's wife. But that seems weak.

H2OUUP2 said:
Exactly. Tygart is a smart man. To beat Armstrong, you have to beat him at his own game, and that's Public Relations. Tygart knows he has to nip these lies in the but.t now before people latch onto them like they did with the other rhetoric.

Well done, Travis.
Indeed. CNN was covering it all day yesterday. There was not a hit of pro-Lance spin to any of it. Everyone is finally on to this guy, and they're no longer shy or afraid of showing it.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Indeed. CNN was covering it all day yesterday. There was not a hit of pro-Lance spin to any of it. Everyone is finally on to this guy, and they're no longer shy or afraid of showing it.

It's definitely nice to see. Finally people seeing this man for who he really is.

I think Every time Lance does one of his PR Stunts like go on Oprah, Tygart should be on 60 minutes within days of it de-bunking all the lies for everyone. I think Him being on TV is quite important for this whole scenario. It keeps all the lies in check, and really gives clarity to the whole situation. If he has to go on TV to succeed at his job, then so be it. I don't understand why some are upset with him being on TV.

I just want to say I'm extremely pleased with all the entire CBS crew on how they have truly committed to the story & their tireless effort to follow it through after the confession. I also appreciate their sincerity when they acknowledge their wrong doing when once were part of the media expanding the LA myth.

h2ouup2 said:
it's definitely nice to see. Finally people seeing this man for who he really is.

I think every time lance does one of his pr stunts like go on oprah, tygart should be on 60 minutes within days of it de-bunking all the lies for everyone. I think him being on tv is quite important for this whole scenario. It keeps all the lies in check, and really gives clarity to the whole situation. if he has to go on tv to succeed at his job, then so be it. I don't understand why some are upset with him being on tv.

+100000000

Aleajactaest said:
Not an answer. Those are just nice juicy rationalizations. Where in the USADA charter does it say that one of the jobs of the head of USADA is "GO on tv"?

If USADA is really interested in cleaning up the sport, doing everything they can to try and stop Lance from coming clean, seems counter productive.

Try and keep up.

After Floyd's Wiki Defense, WADA changed its rules and added what we like to refer to as the 'Floyd Rule'.

The Floyd Rule allows ADA's to publicly confront negative publicity campaigns by alleged and convicted dopers.

Lance would be the latter: A CONVICTED DOPER.

The Oprah show was a PR stunt.

Tygart is simply doing his job, as empowered and directed by The Code.

Dave.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Try and keep up.

After Floyd's Wiki Defense, WADA changed its rules and added what we like to refer to as the 'Floyd Rule'.

The Floyd Rule allows ADA's to publicly confront negative publicity campaigns by alleged and convicted dopers.

Dave.

Well put. Much better then me.

It seems like some still don't want the truth getting out, and for there to really be a Santa Clause. :(

hfer07 said:
I just want to say I'm extremely pleased with all the entire CBS crew on how they have truly committed to the story & their tireless effort to follow it through after the confession. I also appreciate their sincerity when they acknowledge their wrong doing when once were part of the media expanding the LA myth.

I don't know. They are riding the other side of wave like they rode the one that built the myth.

CBS did the story on Strock and Kaiter and Wenzel and Carmichael and did it well. Then, when Wonderboy was in myth-building mode they completely ignored the fact Wonderboy was on the Carmichael dope program! As a result, I'm not willing to forgive them so easily.

What's encouraging are the comments. The essence of the story long-told, defended and so on here got across mostly intact.

Now, if CBS and other organizations start asking how Tennis stars can play tough matches for hours and **miraculously** recover in 24 hours, why American kids are suddenly transformed in football programs, and even begin to doubt the IOC's show, then I think something good will have come from it. The fact that no baseball players from the modern era were inducted into that sport's hall of fame is a good start.

There's a long way to go yet...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_...did-60-minutes-help-create-the-myth-of-lance/

This cbs/60 mins online video is more about how they created the myth which I think is even more stunning to see the media acknowledge its complicity. Sorry if it was already posted elsewhere, it's very hard to keep up with all the links.

I think he really messed with the wrong crew when he tried to bully cbs news. Especially with his 'pull' on the downside of his career declining, but it's his standard MO. You don't want to pick a fight with a news network. Really dumb. The kool aid drinkers will accept the intimidation tactics and see it as indignation of an innocent man. I guess he figured he had to keep them in his corner at all costs or all was lost.

DirtyWorks said:
I don't know. They are riding the other side of wave like they rode the one that built the myth.

CBS did the story on Strock and Kaiter and Wenzel and Carmichael and did it well. Then, when Wonderboy was in myth-building mode they completely ignored the fact Wonderboy was on the Carmichael dope program! As a result, I'm not willing to forgive them so easily.

What's encouraging are the comments. The essence of the story long-told, defended and so on here got across mostly intact.

Now, if CBS and other organizations start asking how Tennis stars can play tough matches for hours and **miraculously** recover in 24 hours, why American kids are suddenly transformed in football programs, and even begin to doubt the IOC's show, then I think something good will have come from it. The fact that no baseball players from the modern era were inducted into that sport's hall of fame is a good start.

There's a long way to go yet

Indeed. I still believe they deserve credit for their work on the LA case, considering how willingly other media networks looked the other way & even supported the myth until the last breath taken by it. CBS & Sport Illustrated were the few "abroad media networks" with the bravery to disclose openly what it was known among the cycling world connoisseurs for decades,whereas the others simply fed on what events developed into while masking their guilt...

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

There's a long way to go yet...

I am American so it is far to me to say that in many ways, America is a nation in denial. Keeping to sports, is the myth that Americans don't cheat -- it's the East Germans, Russians and Chinese that cheat...

Perhaps the most cognitive dissonance is saved for America's biggest sports heroes... Keeping to football, the transformation that occurs from High School to College is not just due to working out in the gym. The NCAA is a bad as any professional organization in looking the other way toward doping.

An interesting comment was made by Notre Dame's coach after being dismantled by Alabama a few weeks ago in the BCS Championship Game:

"We were likes boys among men..."

How did that happen? Take a good look at College football players, especially Offensive and Defensive Linemen -- some of them look like they are in their 30s...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Turner29 said:
I am American so it is far to me to say that in many ways, America is a nation in denial. Keeping to sports, is the myth that Americans don't cheat -- it's the East Germans, Russians and Chinese that cheat...

Perhaps the most cognitive dissonance is saved for America's biggest sports heroes... Keeping to football, the transformation that occurs from High School to College is not just due to working out in the gym. The NCAA is a bad as any professional organization in looking the other way toward doping.

An interesting comment was made by Notre Dame's coach after being dismantled by Alabama a few weeks ago in the BCS Championship Game:

"We were likes boys among men..."

How did that happen? Take a good look at College football players, especially Offensive and Defensive Linemen -- some of them look like they are in their 30s...

"We were likes boys among men..." is code for "extraterrestial" in cycling and everyone knows what it means. As a counter to the nation in denial simply look at today's news: A-Rod and others linked to a PED distributor's records and Ray Lewis linked to banned substances. If there is a positive Lance effect it is that the subject is opennly discussed. NFL franchised broadcasters are speaking of the issue and as strong as the NFL believes itself to be; the Networks are their boss. We've had many local broadcasts about head-trauma and youth football lately. It's possible that, for the time being; a shift in conciousness is with us.
Seeing Earl Campbell hobble into the Texas game recently was a tearful experience for many fans. If they don't feel some shared responsibility maybe they at least thought about their kids.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Oldman said:
"We were likes boys among men..." is code for "extraterrestial" in cycling and everyone knows what it means. As a counter to the nation in denial simply look at today's news: A-Rod and others linked to a PED distributor's records and Ray Lewis linked to banned substances. If there is a positive Lance effect it is that the subject is opennly discussed. NFL franchised broadcasters are speaking of the issue and as strong as the NFL believes itself to be; the Networks are their boss. We've had many local broadcasts about head-trauma and youth football lately. It's possible that, for the time being; a shift in conciousness is with us.
Seeing Earl Campbell hobble into the Texas game recently was a tearful experience for many fans. If they don't feel some shared responsibility maybe they at least thought about their kids.

Yes, the good thing about media is that they are like sharks smelling blood in the water!

Turner29 said:
Yes, the good thing about media is that they are like sharks smelling blood in the water!

60 Minutes.

It takes a lot of courage to go front and center against a multi-million dollar machine.

Kudos to Tygart for taking the clinic public.

He has conviction & truth on his side.

Unlike his opposition, his humanity shone through.

Brilliant.

Front & center takes balls.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Try and keep up.

Dave.

We disagree but keeping up here is easy. All I need is reverse Omerta..

Rules:

1. Hate everyone, say anything as long as it is dogmatically and repetitively anti Lance. No thinking required, just rigid adherence to that rule.

And, perhaps the more important rule.

2. Call anyone who does not follow rule one a troll or a newbie or say they're stupid or not keeping up.

Is that an accurate summary?

Aleajactaest said:
We disagree but keeping up here is easy. All I need is reverse Omerta..

Rules:

1. Hate everyone, say anything as long as it is dogmatically and repetitively anti Lance. No thinking required, just rigid adherence to that rule.

And, perhaps the more important rule.

2. Call anyone who does not follow rule one a troll or a newbie or say they're stupid or not keeping up.

Is that an accurate summary?

No. That is not an accurate summary.

More like 'insult everyone's intelligence on an ongoing basis' while abusing moderation latitude based upon the sound premise that everyone, even sociopaths like Lance, are permitted a defense.

And, your opinion / disagreement is irrelevant.

I posted fact.

Since you cannot provide counter fact, you are now stooping to a overly narrow and condemning description of your fellow posters; aka the mud throwing defense.

That is trolling. Fact.

Dave.

Oh good Aleajactaest, you're back. This is a quote from what you wrote earlier in the thread about the Travis Tygart interview. I asked previously about this but you didn't give a response. Here's another chance.

Aleajactaest said:
BTW, I did almost laugh when he said that doping was not prevalent in the sport when Lance was racing.

Please explain because 1.) there is nothing in the transcript to support that and 2.) Tygart has repeatedly said elsewhere he knows that doping was prevalent in the sport.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
delleErbe said:
Oh good Aleajactaest, you're back. This is a quote from what you wrote earlier in the thread about the Travis Tygart interview. I asked previously about this but you didn't give a response. Here's another chance.

My quote is not exact. He basically said that when Lance said he doped to get on a level playing field that he was wrong. He was on a higher plane. Only later did he explain that he knew they were doping but that Lance had access to other things beside just drugs. e.g. he claims that Lance had advanced knowledge of how to beat tests.

I think everyone else could have had more access they just weren't smart enough to do it. I think basically they're ****ed not that he cheated but that he was better/smarter at doing it than others.

I don't buy the he had more money argument cause that is just the nature of sport. Are the Yankees cheating cause they have a higher payroll?

My point is that if TT wants to clean up future sport, his approach is less effective than one that encourages an open and frank discussion of how it worked in the past with an eye towards improving the future. e.g. a Truth an Reconciliation effort.

Ironically, he said in his rebuttal interview that he wanted to prove that Lance Armstrong was not too big to fail and yet our government gave the Banks a multi trillion dollar pass on the basis that they and the auto makers were indeed to big to fail.

If he wants to clean up the sport, what better source that his self professed "best doper ever"?

May 12, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
No. That is not an accurate summary.

More like 'insult everyone's intelligence on an ongoing basis' while abusing moderation latitude based upon the sound premise that everyone, even sociopaths like Lance, are permitted a defense.

Since you cannot provide counter fact, you are now stooping to a overly narrow and condemning description of your fellow posters; aka the mud throwing defense.

That is trolling. Fact.

Dave.

You're cherry picking in these threads in the same way you accuse me of. As for insults, I never went there whereas this collective group does so all the time. Let's be honest about that. It's the nature of forum discussion to use what you like and ignore what you do not.

And yes, Lance is entitled to a defense and using pejorative adjectives like sociapath to pollute the discussion deliberately tilts the playing field.

It's taking control of the narrative in the same way that USADA did by calling their brief a "reasoned decision" instead of just a decision. Without that, would it be un-reasoned?

I'll do my best to use "facts" as long as we understand that this is not a fair forum. There is no actual attempt to try and apply fairness to both sides.

The few people who try to present counter argument are immediately slammed by the mob mentality.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Travis Tygart is NOT out looking for attention. You can tell he is a bit uncomfortable in a tough situation. It was Lance's propagand machine that took this fight public and USADA had no choice but to do so as well.

Aleajactaest said:
My point is that if TT wants to clean up future sport, his approach is less effective than one that encourages an open and frank discussion of how it worked in the past with an eye towards improving the future. e.g. a Truth an Reconciliation effort.

Two questions:
1. Can Armstrong be banned AND a T&R process of some kind for the current paid pros?
2. What confidence do you have that a T&R process would work?

No traps, just honest questions.

TRENDING THREADS