• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Travis Tygart interview 60 Minutes

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
Travis Tygart is NOT out looking for attention. You can tell he is a bit uncomfortable in a tough situation. It was Lance's propagand machine that took this fight public and USADA had no choice but to do so as well.

Agreed. The whining that TT is "wasting time" combating the massive PR onslaught and lobbying effort which attempt to shutter the organization is downright comical.

You know what was a giant waste of time? Having to put together a case against Armstrong. If Armstrong were really concerned with saving TT some time, he could have confessed a long time ago. Where's the outrage over THIS massive waste of time among the chamois sniffers?

131313 said:
Agreed. The whining that TT is "wasting time" combating the massive PR onslaught and lobbying effort which attempt to shutter the organization is downright comical.

You know what was a giant waste of time? Having to put together a case against Armstrong. If Armstrong were really concerned with saving TT some time, he could have confessed a long time ago. Where's the outrage over THIS massive waste of time among the chamois sniffers?

Not to mention the time and money wasted by USADA and the Federal courts when Armstrong and his paid thugs attempted to literally destroy USADA. Now he wants to be seen as a victim! To be honest I don't think he is fooling many, and there are lots out there who are putting pressure back on him like CBS, Tygart, Betsy and Walsh - among others.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
TubularBills said:
60 Minutes.

It takes a lot of courage to go front and center against a multi-million dollar machine.

Kudos to Tygart for taking the clinic public.

He has conviction & truth on his side.

Unlike his opposition, his humanity shone through.

Brilliant.

Front & center takes balls.

he's just been in Germany talking to representatives of the government and the German NADA about how to go forward in the fight against doping. He stressed that PED-testing must be independent from the federations at all costs.

Tygart: "Ich war geschockt, zu erfahren, dass es hier noch Verbände gibt, die die Dopingfälle bearbeiten."So eine Arbeit gehöre in die Hände unabhängiger Gremien. "Diese Arbeit ist zu schmutzig, um sie den Verbänden zu überlassen." So sei es Grundbedingung für alle Mitarbeiter der Usada, dass sie kein zusätzliches Amt, ob bezahlt oder unbezahlt, in irgendeinem Verband innehätten.

Tygart: "I was shocked to learn that there are still federations doing their own anti-doping work. That job is too dirty and should be put in the hands of independent bodies." It is essential for USADA that none of its employees has any connections or ties to sports federations, be it payed or unpayed

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/f...rt-berichtet-vor-sportausschuss-a-880602.html

No time to translate the article, but it nicely illustrates how Tygart/USADA are currently an inspiration for anti-doping initiatives in different places.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Deagol said:
Travis Tygart is NOT out looking for attention. You can tell he is a bit uncomfortable in a tough situation. It was Lance's propagand machine that took this fight public and USADA had no choice but to do so as well.

Why? For whose benefit are the TV appearances? He doesn't answer to the general public. He is doing for no reason other than to fight a battle he already won.

Serious question. Why does he need to rebut ANYTHING now that Lance is a discredited liar?

May 12, 2011
Visit site
sniper said:
he's just been in Germany talking to representatives of the government and the German NADA about how to go forward in the fight against doping. He stressed that PED-testing must be independent from the federations at all costs. .

Isn't that WADA's job? He is correct that no sport federation should have anything to do with testing.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
Why? For whose benefit are the TV appearances? He doesn't answer to the general public. He is doing for no reason other than to fight a battle he already won.

Serious question. Why does he need to rebut ANYTHING now that Lance is a discredited liar?
It isn't just about Lance.

Speaking publicly is part of his role, he has been doing for years to educate the public. Armstrong may be disgraced, but many of his myths still remain.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Speaking publicly is part of his role, he has been doing for years to educate the public. Armstrong may be disgraced, but many of his myths still remain.

Both of his interviews were JUST about Lance. If he were discussing his generic anti doping activities, I might agree but that was clearly NOT the intent of either appearance on 60 minutes.

It was nearly a line by line discussion of what Lance said. At least in the second appearance. Clearly in the first, he was doing preemptive damage control.

Just as an aside. I had three people in my office who know I'm a cyclist ask my why Tygart was on TV talking about Lance. None of them had a favorable opinion of his interview. I had trouble watching the entire thing personally but I understand my personal bias which makes that understandable.

Aleajactaest said:
Just as an aside. I had three people in my office who know I'm a cyclist ask my why Tygart was on TV talking about Lance. None of them had a favorable opinion of his interview. I had trouble watching the entire thing personally but I understand my personal bias which makes that understandable.
What else can he talk on 60 Minutes, at the moment? Plus if he can expose Lance even more, the better.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
Both of his interviews were JUST about Lance. If he were discussing his generic anti doping activities, I might agree but that was clearly NOT the intent of either appearance on 60 minutes.

It was nearly a line by line discussion of what Lance said. At least in the second appearance. Clearly in the first, he was doing preemptive damage control.

That might also explain why your colleagues would think there is anything wrong with the guy who helped catch Armstrong talking to a TV program that was about catching Lance Armstrong.

Tygart comes off as a self seving smug and arrogant *** often. But he did what he had to do to keep his job and income afloat. If that meant ensuring 11 other guys got a slap on the wrist to catch the big name, well, he did it. My hero.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Tygart comes off as a self seving smug and arrogant *** often. But he did what he had to do to keep his job and income afloat. If that meant ensuring 11 other guys got a slap on the wrist to catch the big name, well, he did it. My hero.

Really? He seemed pretty honest and straightforward to me. Guess the death threats had something to do with it...

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:

No, TT said Lance should give the names of THOSE WHO HELPED HIM dodge the system. You are also intentionally ignoring the elephant in the room. Unfortunately, this tact is built into human nature but some choose to ride above it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
I know you'd rather ignore it, but TT offered your Lance a reduced sanction also.
Indeed, the Lance seems to regret doing that now.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Good Lord!

131313 said:

The pleasure of sniffing the chamois outweighs the desire for truth for the faithful.

Aleajactaest said:

For your benefit obviously. The message is having a hard time getting thru evidently..

Dr. Maserati said:

See above and below..

Aleajactaest said:

I'm sure CBS, another recipient of LA's threats, are exacting their revenge. Good for them.

zigmeister said:

I thought LA was your hero?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:

Someone it having trouble with the death of the myth......

images

It is not Travis' fault Lance brought this on himself

Originally Posted by Deagol
"Travis Tygart is NOT out looking for attention. You can tell he is a bit uncomfortable in a tough situation. It was Lance's propagand machine that took this fight public and USADA had no choice but to do so as well."

I am pretty sure the reason Travis does look a little uncomfortable on tv is because he is not the kind of individual who seeks to have the spotlight on himself...unlike some others that we know.

He is doing his job as the head of USADA, and if CBS asks him for an interview to clarify things that is his obligation of his position.
Whenever you are a leader or in charge of high profile actions responding to the media is part of the picture.

Quote Aleajactaest
"Just as an aside. I had three people in my office who know I'm a cyclist ask my why Tygart was on TV talking about Lance. None of them had a favorable opinion of his interview. I had trouble watching the entire thing personally but I understand my personal bias which makes that understandable."

Nice try at the 'office poll defense' w/r to explaining your frustration and loss. :rolleyes:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:

Just as an aside 20 people from my office watched the interview. 15 said they found Travis very creditable, a stark contrast to Armstrong's lying. 4 of them said they found him hot and wanted to have his baby.....the last guy couldn't give an opinion because he was too busy crying while he cut up a bunch of yellow bracelets

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
I must say the bitter and twisted posts on this topic from you and your fellow travellers are some of the best reading on this forum. Please keep it up.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Awe man, the pauses in Travis's answers were so great, basically insinuating he could not answer what he knew because he knew the real answer to those bombshell questions. Can't wait till he fills in those pauses ;)

May 12, 2011
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Awe man, the pauses in Travis's answers were so great, basically insinuating he could not answer what he knew because he knew the real answer to those bombshell questions. Can't wait till he fills in those pauses ;)

The question is what will he fill them with. Facts or some flights of fancy?

Twitch boy ain't a great public speaker.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
The question is what will he fill them with. Facts or some flights of fancy?

Twitch boy ain't a great public speaker.

He is holding back the next barrage that will hit Lance sealing the deal on the lifetime ban, anyone who has followed this for any length of time can fill in the pauses, and its going to be very fun :D

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My perception of TT seems to be quite different to the people who thought he was nervous or a bad public speaker. To me his demeanour was that of a professional person who was clear about his view and was able to support that view with evidence either provided on the interview of as a result of the investigation. I thought he came across as being very believable, his body language was not ambiguous, unlike LA on Oprah.

In contract compare this to the Oprah show which was clearly a very well orchestrated PR exercise, where the way Lance answered lead me to think he was not telling the truth on a number of the answers he gave and when he made statements about something which he said was a lie he didn't provide any evidence to back it up, it was just "it's not true" no evidence to support it. He seemed to be making the assumption that he will still be believed as he is 'Lance Armstrong' and therefore he should be believed.

I see there have been a number of people commenting on the fact that he had a slight twitch, well can you explain what this has to do with anything. I mean this is completely irrelevant with respect to the position that TT has taken with respect to trying bring people within cycling to account for their actions. With respect to making comments about peoples appearance I would direct you to the following video of Stewart Lee, watch the part which refers to Gordon Brown and Jeremy Clarkson relating to the comments on GB being blind. I think this highlights why these kind of comments are not needed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc

(updated URL, wrong video)

I for one am very happy that TT is in the position he is, at least one person within cycling who is in a position where they are able to influence the way this whole sorry mess is resolved who actually seems to be more interested in getting to the truth about what's been going on and is taking action to do that. TT's closing words were something along the lines of If you don't want to fund us to do our job of investigating Doping in sport, shut us down. A brilliant move almost taunting the authorities who have been lobbied to investigate the way the USADA was being run. Unfortunately, the vast majority of stakeholders in cycling appear to be self serving in their actions.

TRENDING THREADS