• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tre Valli Varesine 2023, one day race, October 3

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great racing from Van Wilder, and a deserved victory. And and even better interview at the finish, really likable guy.

View: https://twitter.com/OutOfCycling/status/1709224621113782435

F7huXRQWUAAhDdL

So what does Emilia and Tre Balli tell us about Lombardia chances? I think Carapaz might be a big contender. And surprise of today was Zana.

Evenepoel versus Pog versus Rog.

If those 3 mark each other too tightly, then someone else could benefit. But to be fair Lombardia is so hard anyway, it'll be a very select group (or just a solo rider) who make to the finish line for the win.

The weather should be good (warm as well).

Reactions: Sandisfan
For Lombardia i would say both Rogla and Pogi look strong. I doubt one could just get dropped. In current form i would give the edge to Rogla in regards to the sprint. Still Rogla needs to get to there in a good position. So for JV i feel that bringing van Aert is almost a must. Remco is a bit of an unknown. He likely will try to drop everybody, or will get dropped. As for other riders getting involved. Could be. Still i feel that the selection at Lombardia will be bigger. Here the group was too big and it would be really hard to control in the last 10km or so. So other riders from the group had a good chance today. At Lombardia main favourites likely won't allow for that. Rogla likely comfortable with the sprint, whilst Pogi and Remco likely trying to decide the race from far.

For Lombardia i would say both Rogla and Pogi look strong. I doubt one could just get dropped. In current form i would give the edge to Rogla in regards to the sprint. Still Rogla needs to get to there in a good position. So for JV i feel that bringing van Aert is almost a must. Remco is a bit of an unknown. He likely will try to drop everybody, or will get dropped. As for other riders getting involved. Could be. Still i feel that the selection at Lombardia will be bigger. Here the group was too big and it would be really hard to control in the last 10km or so. So other riders from the group had a good chance today. At Lombardia main favourites likely won't allow for that. Rogla likely comfortable with the sprint, whilst Pogi and Remco likely trying to decide the race from far.
It's frightening how little you have learned in 4 years.

I don't know..., I wouldn't bet on sprint too much. I mean if it comes to that, than ok, he's not without a chance certainly, but I wouldn't race it that way. Pogacar is a different beast in a sprint after 250 km, he's tough nut to crack. He should try to put the pressure on him on Ganda, and even Bergamo Alta if they're still together, I feel Rogla has the upper hand atm in terms of climbing. Although, Remco will probably going to open a race way earlier.