• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Trek Bikes...Why is there still a Madone?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I think you will find the name Lance Armstrong synonymous with doping, cheating and all round douchbaggery in the western world where sports is big business.

That Armstrong has lost all sponsorship proves this.

But how does that effect peoples perception of Oakley? It would not stop me from buying some of the best snow goggles around, or their outerwear if it fit my needs price range and colorway. LA did not effect my willingness to buy product from anyone. Should I stop using USPS as well? This is a stupid thread, and honestly should have fallen under a "don't start another LA thread".

PhiberAwptik said:
Oakley is FAR more than a cycling brand these days. I think you may be delusional in thinking that the rest of the world is as passionately anti-Lance as the 5 people in here who can't let it go.

I doubt Trek suffers much either.
Oakley has been far, far more than a cycling brand for a long time. They have been one of the biggest players in the surf market since at least the early 90's and one of many in the ski market for a long time as well.

Yes, they are a bunch of d-bags (at least those involved in cycling) but they make a good product and people generally recognise that long before they worry about the fact that they supported LA so strongly.

With Trek and the Madone, they obviously still get them out the door, so why change a good thing? I'd imagine most Madone buyers are either new and didn't know what LA rode, or have had a Madone in the past and were happy with it. I highly doubt anybody buys them to show support to Armstrong any more.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
the bank of weisel perchance???
most of the Australian surfing entrepreneurs manage to lose their potential billions and dont know when to sign out or IPO at the top of the market. Surfing gave up to urbanised wear by Spanish and Swedes and fast fashion.

Garmin were wearing a knew co's shades which were a take on those original snow goggles that Lemond pioneered for them.