• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Trek going going gone

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I know that some of you will remember this better than I, because I was five years old when Greg Lemond won the Tour for the first time, but can anyone recall what manufacturer made Greg's bike? The one he won the Tour with in 1986? I bet the most hardcore cycling fan knows, but the causual fan or the member of the general public has no idea. A random member of the public would say, "one of those bikes with the curly handlebars" or "Who is Greg Lemond?"

I know that Trek has been closely associated with Lance for years, but in the grand scheme of things, when it is 20 years from now, no one but the most hardcore of cycling fans may even remember that he rode a Trek.

The best thing the company can do now is look forward, and do what is best for the health of the company.

I would love to see Greg find a way to revive his like of bicycles again, but that is perhaps up to him. Maybe he doesn't want to do it, or has found other uses for his time an energy, but I think it would be a real tribute to the man to have more bicycles with his name on it. I can remember gawking at the Lemond bicycles at the bike shop 8-10 years ago, they were beautiful looking. I don't think I will ever be able to afford one, but that is my problem.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
babastooey said:
I know that some of you will remember this better than I, because I was five years old when Greg Lemond won the Tour for the first time, but can anyone recall what manufacturer made Greg's bike? The one he won the Tour with in 1986? I bet the most hardcore cycling fan knows, but the causual fan or the member of the general public has no idea. A random member of the public would say, "one of those bikes with the curly handlebars" or "Who is Greg Lemond?"

I know that Trek has been closely associated with Lance for years, but in the grand scheme of things, when it is 20 years from now, no one but the most hardcore of cycling fans may even remember that he rode a Trek.

The best thing the company can do now is look forward, and do what is best for the health of the company.

I would love to see Greg find a way to revive his like of bicycles again, but that is perhaps up to him. Maybe he doesn't want to do it, or has found other uses for his time an energy, but I think it would be a real tribute to the man to have more bicycles with his name on it. I can remember gawking at the Lemond bicycles at the bike shop 8-10 years ago, they were beautiful looking. I don't think I will ever be able to afford one, but that is my problem.

Off the top of my head, I think it was LOOK.

regarding Trek IMO they deserve to go out of business. Of course, if they employ anyone at the worker level locally, that would suck for them, but the management I have no sympathy for.

babastooey said:
I would love to see Greg find a way to revive his like of bicycles again, but that is perhaps up to him. Maybe he doesn't want to do it, or has found other uses for his time an energy, but I think it would be a real tribute to the man to have more bicycles with his name on it. I can remember gawking at the Lemond bicycles at the bike shop 8-10 years ago, they were beautiful looking.

Meh. The bike business is not great even if your name is on the downtube. You are probably better off throwing a few quid in Kimmage's defense pot.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
You forgot the "burn" at the end. ;-)

It's actually pathetic that anytime anyone on this board disagrees with the cogniscenti, they get called a troll.... Try harder.

It only had to do with the content of your posts. I couldn't care less who you were trolling in that specific instance.

Quit trying so hard.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
It only had to do with the content of your posts. I couldn't care less who you were trolling in that specific instance.

Quit trying so hard.

I get what your saying mate. You have alot to say about Lance, all very valid. Whats your take on the current UCI situation?

So many strong opinions, it seems a waste that your not battering the UCI.

We could do with all the artillery available.

AcademyCC said:
I get what your saying mate. You have alot to say about Lance, all very valid. Whats your take on the current UCI situation?

So many strong opinions, it seems a waste that your not battering the UCI.

We could do with all the artillery available.

Better be sitting down. I am predicting a fusillade from the 16 inch deck guns on Might Mo headed in the UCI's direction.

stock-footage-uss-missouri-docked-at-ford-island-in-pearl-harbor-honolulu-oahu-hawaii-big-deck-guns-tourists.jpg

Dave.

*In other words, excessive self-restraint is not something Chewie gets labeled with all that often

babastooey said:

I would say Gitane, but could be wrong. (edit - ok, I was wrong)

In any case, the whole bike industry has changed a lot since then. In 1986 bikes were considered more a implement to get the job done. Now bikes are all about marketing and the actual bike is much less important than it's use as a marketing gimmick.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Frame was designed by Look, possibly built by TVT who supplied the tubing.

If they actually built that bike, then Lemond won all three of his Tours on TVT. Come to think of it every Tour from 1986 to 1992/3, bar 1987, was won on their frames. Not a bad record at all, better than Treks "Wins" at any rate!:D

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
coinneach said:
According to Tyler, HE went quicker up than Lance......I certainly don't think Rominger should get any credit from Lances disgrace

Me neither. Rominger was as bad as any doper. He is just smart enough to stay out of the limelight unlike Armstrong.

TRENDING THREADS