• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Triathlon

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Catwhoorg said:
No matter how many times or variations I hear this joke, I still giggle at it.

As it is completely true.

One of my wife's co workers is the prime example.

I know her first name, what job she does, and the fact she has now completed 2 ironman tri's. (I was told the times, but pretty much instantly forgot them)

Literally nothing else. I don't know if she is married, has kids anything.

"Swim 2.4 miles! Bike 112 miles! Run 26.2 miles! Brag for the rest of your life!"
They have to do it, it's the original vision of the sport.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon#History, 2nd paragraph of the History.

Re:

Jancouver said:
After reading this http://www.usada.org/brook-radcliffe-accepts-doping-sanction/

the question is: How much (if any) dope testing is there in Triathlon? I can imagine the age groupers/masters will never get tested.

Would that be a correct assumptions?

somewhere lower than cycling's past and greater than the number who fail tests

yes that is a pretty large range :D

or another way of saying I have no idea

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Jancouver said:
After reading this http://www.usada.org/brook-radcliffe-accepts-doping-sanction/

the question is: How much (if any) dope testing is there in Triathlon? I can imagine the age groupers/masters will never get tested.

Would that be a correct assumptions?

Actually there are 10 random tests carried out at every Ironman race - usually the top three men and women and then there are randoms drawn from the rest of the field. Of course the fact most age groupers are not doping and the pro's know how to beat the tests means there are never many positives so nothing is ever heard of. There was a positive of an age group man a few months ago who tested positive for testosterone and got caught out between having a TUE from the USA triathlon federation and not having one from Ironman and the WTC and as it is a WTC event he got a 2 year ban.

As said before the history of Ironman is littered with doping unfortunately but that is what happens when you have a young sport with a lot of money (for the top one or two ) and bragging rights at stake.

I guess that’s fair but he definitely is about the most suspicious guy in tri right now for a lot of reasons imo.
What reasons are those?

Not really up to date with Triathlon these days. As a result of seeing this thread I took a look at recent ironman results. Most of the time gains in the last 30 years have been on the bike leg. I put that down to technology more than doping.

In Ironman and especially Hawaii, the conditions play a big role. It gets hot and windy. When its cooler or lower winds the times are faster.
  • In 1989 Hawaii Ironman Dave Scott and Mark Allen ran a 2:40 marathon off the bike. In 2022 Gustav Iden ran 2:36. A 4 minute improvement.
  • In 1989 Allen and Scott completed the bike leg in 4:37. In 2022 Laidlaw completed the bike leg in 4:04:36. A 33 minute improvement.

What reasons are those?

Not really up to date with Triathlon these days. As a result of seeing this thread I took a look at recent ironman results. Most of the time gains in the last 30 years have been on the bike leg. I put that down to technology more than doping.

In Ironman and especially Hawaii, the conditions play a big role. It gets hot and windy. When its cooler or lower winds the times are faster.
  • In 1989 Hawaii Ironman Dave Scott and Mark Allen ran a 2:40 marathon off the bike. In 2022 Gustav Iden ran 2:36. A 4 minute improvement.
  • In 1989 Allen and Scott completed the bike leg in 4:37. In 2022 Laidlaw completed the bike leg in 4:04:36. A 33 minute improvement.
I agree bike tech is a bigger source of improvement. He came out of the relative unknown and had a pretty silly sounding excuse of having to “move house” when cancelling a major race this year directly after the big doping bust of Collin Chartier. After speaking on podcasts about how hyped he was for the race. I don’t think the other top athletes are clean either ftr, this just seems even harder to believe.

Reactions: Cookster15