• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Trofeo Laigueglia 2014 (1.1), Feb 21.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Serpa in the post interview tried to defend his position by saying Lampre had Ulissi behind but that indeed Sinkewitz did a very fast pace up the climb and worked more on the last kms.

Never been a fan of Serpa cause he tends to wheelsuck a lot and actually glad Ulissi didnt win the sprint of the remaining bunch. :p

slosada said:
Reading several Italian reports, they both worked well together, until Serpa knew he would need to sprint for the race, and then he saved some juice.

Behind only Cannondale and Colombia worked, but Lampre was interfering as much as they could.

The German loser belittled Serpa's victory: "I don't know the guy who won. Serpa? Who's him? I don't know him. I worked hard but he acted as if it wasn't with him and that's not fair". (I hope my translation is accurate enough)

The loser repeated his poor manners in the podium, but the second time they shook hands.
He made his point and maybe he was right that Serpa wheelsucked too much (even if he played his cards for Ullisi), but let's be honest, don't exagerate and don't over do it. This is plain stupid.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Serpa had cards to play, Sinkewitz didn't. Simple, frustrating, but simple. Other riders would have congratulated the winner, mentioned they thought they were stronger but didn't have a second option in the group behind. Mention the frustration and say "that's racing". Then go to the team bus and scream and scream ;)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Marco Pantani said:
Lol, Sinkewitz rode tactically terrible, end of the story.

ahaha this. serpa played hardballs and he won. he's a smart ride.r he deserves this win. sinkewitz didn't have the guts knowing very well this might be his last race ever with his positive coming up next week for trial

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know Serpa's schedule? Any chance of racing any of the upcoming one day classics? PCS lists GP Lugano as the only one day on his schedule.

Ryo Hazuki said:
ahaha this. serpa played hardballs and he won. he's a smart ride.r he deserves this win. sinkewitz didn't have the guts to call Serpa's bluff and wanted to win, knowing very well this might be his last race ever with his positive coming up next week for trial

I'm hating myself for typing this, but here it goes:

I agree 100% with Ryo here. Serpa did it perfectly, knowing his teammates were coming. He does deserver the win. Sinkewitz didn't have the guts and, again, Ryo was 100% correct in predicting, his last race ever :)

I also think its ironic on Sinkewitz's comment. Who is Serpa? Well, we all know who he is, but EVERYONE knows Sinkewitz now LOL.

I wish other countries were as tough as the Germans in cycling fines..and wish the Germans were just as tough in other sports.

jens_attacks said:
serpa,hardballs and smart. all in the same sentence. never thought about it lol

sinkewitz had an absolute jerck reaction but let's not go that far with serpa ok...

He's won 2 multi-stage events, and 8 individual stages, granted most in South America or Asia. He has participated in 8 grand tours. You have to be somewhat smart to get those results. Another reason? his mustache. He has podium the the world tour mustache competition several times. You need to have hardballs to keep that up in a sport that requires shaving. ;)