• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Troll Poll

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
+100

And that's the problem.

I am assuming that for the handful of folk that enjoy the banter it's fun to do the 'he said she said' dance but to everybody else it's just irritating or boring. But the fact is that meaningful discussion gets lost and so people who might want to contribute don't bother.

So as a moderator I delete posts sometimes and/or PM people asking them to change their behaviour... some apologise and comply ... but there is a hard core that just get aggressive.

I am not a big fan of banning people I would rather that they recognised the impact of their actions and changed their behaviour. But if they don't there is no place in this forum for them in my opinion.

I understand an agree with you. I, and others, have been baited into responding to obvious attempts to derail threads.

It is clear that 90% of this issue is the result of one, often banned, poster whose sole goal is to derail threads by posting various absurd claims. If interest in his antics starts to slow he then resorts in to PM's in a vain effort to stoke the fire.

Much of this issue would be taken care of if this often banned poster, and his sockpuppets, were not around.

A

Anonymous

SpeedWay said:
Darn, just when hypocrisy was been raised to new levels you hold a mirror up.
So much for today's entertainment.:(

It definitely "was been raised."

I didn't even get a freaking MENTION! Look guys, I don't know if you realize this, but I am not just some dude who makes insightful, hilarious comments. It is pretty calculated, and more than anything, I desire to incite response. To be left off the list is to spit in my face, and brother I don't take to kindly to such insults. I will go jackhammer111 so fast it will make your head spin. I mean, I got that guy to threaten my safety and the safety of my family. I had so many lures in the water with him that you could walk across it and not get your feet wet! How in the name of all that is disgusting could you not see the level to which I take Trollkraft? Man, I thought I was respected around here...

A

Anonymous

I was also tempted to write something about how "I got some troll pole for ya'", but decided against this...

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i have a few interests and hobbies and i visit forums for all of them cycling forums are the absolute worst regarding trolling. some of the people on here are like little children. it sort of makes me ashamed to be in such company simply because im a cyclist. on these forums rarely do i learn anything its just repeated rhetoric over and over again with no real substance. on occasion there is a good discussion but those are few and far between. mostly its people with obvious ego/esteem issues who like to here themselves talk blabbering none sense and conjecture on and on and on. i would say 50 percent of people on here are the worst kind of trolls.:mad:

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
mektronic said:
The Clinic used to be a good forum, until regular posters got a bit over excited about disagreeing with one or two people. Threads get smothered by both sides, and there is little point posting anything of interest as it all gets swallowed up.

+ 1.

Less disrupting the threads by talking about "trolls" and more discussion about the subject matter and this forum would be a better place.

Race Radio said:
I understand an agree with you. I, and others, have been baited into responding to obvious attempts to derail threads.

It is clear that 90% of this issue is the result of one, often banned, poster whose sole goal is to derail threads by posting various absurd claims. If interest in his antics starts to slow he then resorts in to PM's in a vain effort to stoke the fire.

Much of this issue would be taken care of if this often banned poster, and his sockpuppets, were not around.

One thing I am very confident of is that there will always be people that post comments that are incorrect, irrelevant, irritating, ignorant ... we know that. The issue is how to respond (or not). We need to understand the difference between commenting on what is posted and who is doing the posting. It's justifiable to call comments drivel but not appropriate to call the poster an idiot - even if that's what we think.

People don't typically argue with themselves (unless they have stopped taking their medication :) ) - it takes at least two people to have an argument.

Sprocket01 said:
Also if people have a problem with someone they should address it in PMs rather than diverting a thread. People just don't want to read it.

+1

So why have you got a signature that mentions other posters? The signature is childish and exactly the sort of thing people are talking about here.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
+1

So why have you got a signature that mentions other posters? The signature is childish and exactly the sort of thing people are talking about here.

Well I thought it would be sensible to let them and everybody else know that the mods don't want me to respond to them. They do post about 700 responses to me a day trying to bait me so people might wonder why I wasn't answering back. I thought it would be easier just to put it in the signature. I will change it if you want.

I don't think this is about you or anyone else doing things because I (or other people) tell them to. This is not kindergarten. I am saying I think it's childish -I am also saying I think this thread is about things like that.

So knowing that - the question is - Why is it still in your signature?

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
I don't think this is about you or anyone else doing things because I (or other people) tell them to. This is not kindergarten. I am saying I think it's childish -I am also saying I think this thread is about things like that.

So knowing that - the question is - Why is it still in your signature?

It's already gone. Anything for you, Tez. ;)

A

Anonymous

180mmCrank said:
One thing I am very confident of is that there will always be people that post comments that are incorrect, irrelevant, irritating, ignorant ... we know that. The issue is how to respond (or not). We need to understand the difference between commenting on what is posted and who is doing the posting. It's justifiable to call comments drivel but not appropriate to call the poster an idiot - even if that's what we think.

People don't typically argue with themselves (unless they have stopped taking their medication :) ) - it takes at least two people to have an argument.

But people do post under more than one name to give the impression they have more support than is actually there. I point no fingers, but one person with multiple names who has been banned several times and is still allowed to post comes to mind.

I guess my problem with this whole PC "nobody should post things that are inflammatory" is that it is unrealistic and in my opinion a bit snobbish. Someone wading into a thread about some issue involving a specific cyclist who has a questionable past regarding doping, and thinks that thread will contain resplendent and scintillating conversation of a good natured quality with give and take has obviously not been around cycling forums too long. If you have concern with this subject, I have a few suggestions:*

I. Read the Forum Section Title carefully and:
a. If the title is "The Clinic" you can feel fairly certain that most threads will be a bit more lively than non-doping threads, and therefore will not be allowed to play the victim if you choose to enter.
b. If you don't like the adversarial nature of most doping topics and the Forum Section is titled "The Clinic," you can leave right then and save yourself a post filled with righteous indignation regarding the ruffians who engage in adolescent discourse.
II. If you choose to enter, pay close attention to the Thread Title and:
a. If the subject involves Lance Armstrong you can:
1. Open the thread with the knowledge that it will almost certainly contain a moderate to heavy amount of vitriol and caustic banter.
2. Choose not to open the thread and save yourself a post filled with righteous indignation regarding the ruffians who engage in adolescent discourse.
b. If the subject involves something else or someone else, you can:
1. Open the thread with the knowledge that someone will most likely bring up Lance Armstrong, and will therefore almost certainly contain a moderate to heavy amount of vitriol and caustic banter.
2. If Mr Armstrong's name is not present, rest assured that there are still many disagreements regarding the subject of doping in cycling that will cause otherwise rational people to engage in a moderate to heavy amount of vitriol and caustic banter.
3. Choose not to open the thread and save yourself a post filled with righteous indignation regarding the ruffians who engage in adolescent discourse.

Now that we have a logical and well thought out set of ground rules, I think we can all agree that everyone's enjoyment of the Cyclingnews Forum will increase exponentially, yes?

*Please read in the voice of the man who narrated all of those 1960's filmstrips about various school issues.

Good analyitical points there.

There have actually been some excellent threads here in the Clinic over the last few months, it just takes some sifting through. I think the plethora of troll threads though have kept me from posting as much as in the past perhaps.

Jackhammer wasn't so much a troll, as a bitter, angry, out and out nasty jerk most of the time.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Accusing people of having multiple names is another practise that people should try to reframe from. There is one user (not the one who just did that but the other one) that always accuses every poster that disagrees with them of being a suck puppet of me. I don't know if he does it as a self deprecating joke or something because it always quickly becomes clear that its not me, but it is a smear that does get tiresome. Surely they are clever enough to know it's very unlikely that I would bother to set up dozens of accounts in May, June, etc, when I did not even know about this site, just so I could cleverly give myself a few words of support in a thread? It's just another way a thread gets diverted and it tends to poison the discussion. Time to end that one.

A

Anonymous

Sprocket01 said:
Accusing people of having multiple names is another practise that people should try to reframe from. There is one user (not the one who just did that but the other one) that always accuses every poster that disagrees with them of being a suck puppet of me. I don't know if he does it as a self deprecating joke or something because it always quickly becomes clear that its not me, but it is a smear that does get tiresome. Surely they are clever enough to know it's very unlikely that I would bother to set up dozens of accounts in May, June, etc, when I did not even know about this site, just so I could cleverly give myself a few words of support in a thread? It's just another way a thread gets diverted and it tends to poison the discussion. Time to end that one.

I think we can all agree that you have admitted to posting under multiple names. Surely any reasonable person would agree with this, no?

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I think we can all agree that you have admitted to posting under multiple names. Surely any reasonable person would agree with this, no?

Dope. Never admitted it, never done it. Glad to clear that up once and for all.

I didn't even chose this username. I wasn't told that I had to have it - anything that didn't have BPC in it would do, they said - but it was suggested so I took it. I was quite happy with British Pro Cycling.

A

Anonymous

Sprocket01 said:
Dope. Never admitted it, never done it. Glad to clear that up once and for all.

I didn't even chose this username. I wasn't told that I had to have it - anything that didn't have BPC in it would do, they said - but it was suggested so I took it. I was quite happy with British Pro Cycling.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Whilst you are there TFF, I note you have sent me another friend request. What is the meaning of this? I am supposed to accept it or reject it? What is your troll strategy on this one?

A

Anonymous

Sprocket01 said:
Whilst you are there TFF, I note you have sent me another friend request. What is the meaning of this? I am supposed to accept it or reject it? What is your troll strategy on this one?

Wow, a guy reaches out his hand in friendship and you treat him like this. Not only are you a troll, but you are just downright mean. I am hurt, honestly hurt...how dare you sir, HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Sprocket01 said:
You're not saying being told by the moderators to change my name is posting under multiple names, are we? That would be silly.

I never sent BritishProCycling a friendship request. Just BanProCycling, dang. Some people have the smarts to keep up with stuff, and some don't. Now, please tell me how you know I sent BanProCycling a friendship request? I am not allowed to call you a "liar" so I won't call you a "liar" but if I could call you a "liar" I would call you a "liar" most certainly.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Wow, a guy reaches out his hand in friendship and you treat him like this. Not only are you a troll, but you are just downright mean. I am hurt, honestly hurt...how dare you sir, HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

Haven't rejected it yet. Play your cards right and you might get the chance to be my friend. We'll see.

A

Anonymous

Sprocket01 said:
Haven't rejected it yet. Play your cards right and you might get the chance to be my friend. We'll see.

Well, I can tell you now that questioning my chastity and honor in an open forum like this will not win you my friendship sir. You are the kind to hit someone and then say "Baby, I am sorry I had to hit you, but you deserved it" so, while I cannot take my heartfelt offer of friendship back, I do in spirit! You are a dastardly human being, DASTARDLY!!!

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I never sent BritishProCycling a friendship request. Just BanProCycling, dang. Some people have the smarts to keep up with stuff, and some don't. Now, please tell me how you know I sent BanProCycling a friendship request? I am not allowed to call you a "liar" so I won't call you a "liar" but if I could call you a "liar" I would call you a "liar" most certainly.

So now its switched to pretending coming back under a similar name (so everyone knows it is me) after being banned is just the same as posting under multiple names? Tut, tut. I think you know very well that this is not what people mean by "sock puppets". Sock puppets is using different names at the same time in order to pretend to be more than one person.

A

Anonymous

Sprocket01 said:
So now its switched to pretending coming back under a similar name, after being banned (so everyone knows it is me) is just the same as posting under multiple names? Tut, tut. I think you know very well that this is not what people mean by "sock puppets". Sock puppets is using different names at the same time in order to pretend to be more than one person.

If your reading comprehension were sufficient, you would see that I was making the point that ANYONE who has admitted to posting under multiple names would also be very suspect of having more than one current identity. Dang man, you are just flailing away and hitting nothing...but my heart. I simply cannot entertain the fact that a gentleman could be so callous as to berate someone for seeking camaraderie and mutual understanding!

TRENDING THREADS