• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Over at Slowtwitch they banned Power Cranks threads, just flat out banned them. You are treading on thin ice if you even mention the product. The reason: Endless trolling by Frank Day.

Day's trolling has a purpose. He does not want to pay to advertise on sites, so he makes zillions of posts about anything that might prove his snake oil does not work.

As I said in the moderator thread, it would be nice to have a thread about power that is not crap flooded by Day. It is an important cycling subject.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Guy reminds me of House. It isn't just trolling, it's a person with mental instability trolling. That's a special combination my friend. BPC is another example. Wow. Remind me to never mention power meters anywhere...

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's odd that Fergie et al essentially do the same spamming in other threads with no consequence. It was clear that frank was just returning the favour.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Guy reminds me of House. It isn't just trolling, it's a person with mental instability trolling. That's a special combination my friend. BPC is another example. Wow. Remind me to never mention power meters anywhere...

Wow is right. The only thing missing is "The size of a pumpkin" or "Frontal lobe development". Hopefully House and BPC have found an outlet for their crazy, keeping it bottled up can't be healthy

function said:
It's odd that Fergie et al essentially do the same spamming in other threads with no consequence. It was clear that frank was just returning the favour.

There needs to be someone to counter Frank Day's BS.

function said:
You are a proponent of a specific tool/methodology, as is he.

One is a proponent of scientifically recognized training methods. The other is a proponent of dubious equipment with a support "evidence" consisting of ludicrous anecdotes and even more ludicrous claims.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
CoachFergie said:
Funny how you perceive that as spamming. Not the soundest business strategy advocating generalities such as training, coaching and measuring fitness.

I'm not talking about the validity of either method, i'm talking about the commenting style (spamming) by you in Frank's thread and Frank in your thread. Do you not see the similarities?

Whether one is a coach or not does not give one free reign to carpet bomb threads.

First you need learn the difference between spamming and trolling. Spaming is creating a thtead that is designed to draw people to discuss a product. Trolling is what Frank Day was doing in the Power Meter thread and everyone was asked to stay on topic by the mods.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
CoachFergie said:
First you need learn the difference between spamming and trolling. Spaming is creating a thtead that is designed to draw people to discuss a product. Trolling is what Frank Day was doing in the Power Meter thread and everyone was asked to stay on topic by the mods.

Do you honestly believe your comments were neither spamming nor trolling? The evidence is there for all to see, I'll leave it at that.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't stop laughing at the site of the sub-forums and seeing:

Trolling
by CoachFergie

(Of course my own post will now alter that. I may have required stitches otherwise.)

function said:
I'm not talking about the validity of either method, i'm talking about the commenting style (spamming) by you in Frank's thread and Frank in your thread. Do you not see the similarities?

Whether one is a coach or not does not give one free reign to carpet bomb threads.
Whenever Power Meters came up in a thread, Frank immediately disrupted the discussion in order to make it an argument about the validity of Power Meters and the benefits they provide (Frank solidly insists there isn't any). Frank is notorious for this and has been banned from numerous forums for it, along with shameless promotion of his own product.

What you have seen in the crank length/pedaling technique threads is Fergie returning the favour and questioning the importance of crank length, pedaling technique and of course, power cranks.

42x16ss said:
Whenever Power Meters came up in a thread, Frank immediately disrupted the discussion in order to make it an argument about the validity of Power Meters and the benefits they provide (Frank solidly insists there isn't any). Frank is notorious for this and has been banned from numerous forums for it, along with shameless promotion of his own product.

Just like to go on record that I agree with Frank that there is no benefit to performance from owning or using a power meter.

What you have seen in the crank length/pedaling technique threads is Fergie returning the favour and questioning the importance of crank length, pedaling technique and of course, power cranks.

That would be taking Frank's arguments personally. I am merely disputing his claims that there is an importance to crank length, that pedalling technique and that training with an uncoupled crank system is a superior training method to training with a coupled system.

From reading of the research, there is no evidence to support Franks claims and applaud the mods for their action banning the use of anecdotal reports as evidence for his claims. I do keep an open mind and await any new studies that show otherwise.

My purpose of this thread was to highlight Franks trolling of any power meter discussion with the strawman argument that power meters do nothing to improve performance. Again I thank the mods for the action they have taken.

TRENDING THREADS