• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Trolls in The Clinic

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

So, quite obviously we have a very serious troll here on the forum. He is actually quite good at what he is doing. The fact is that the only way to kill him is to ignore him. Don't respond to his posts, don't refer to him, just cut off the food supply. I said this a week or so ago, and then I got caught back up in it. The fact is that we are not dealing with someone who wants to prove anything regarding Lance or anyone else. He just wants to disrupt the threads here, and quite possibly isn't even a fan of cycling. Believe it or not, there are actually people who do this for sport. I believe that is precisely what we have here.

Keep posting if you want, I am not the teacher here. I am merely suggesting the only remedy that will work if you want to end the insanity. I promise, it is the ONLY thing that will work.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
So, quite obviously we have a very serious troll here on the forum. He is actually quite good at what he is doing. The fact is that the only way to kill him is to ignore him. Don't respond to his posts, don't refer to him, just cut off the food supply. I said this a week or so ago, and then I got caught back up in it. The fact is that we are not dealing with someone who wants to prove anything regarding Lance or anyone else. He just wants to disrupt the threads here, and quite possibly isn't even a fan of cycling. Believe it or not, there are actually people who do this for sport. I believe that is precisely what we have here.

Keep posting if you want, I am not the teacher here. I am merely suggesting the only remedy that will work if you want to end the insanity. I promise, it is the ONLY thing that will work.

Me too.

Count me in.

A

Anonymous

Scott SoCal said:
Me too.

Count me in.

Its hard not to get caught up in it, and the thing is that even if the regulars ignore him, new people may not. This one is in the same category as House and Flyer. They are capable of causing much havoc. He has done nothing to get banned, so we may just have to put up with him to some extent. However, we can ignore him and inform others who may not know what he is.

I didn't name him in my original post, but if you are reading this and don't know to whom I refer, it is BanProCycling.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Its hard not to get caught up in it, and the thing is that even if the regulars ignore him, new people may not. This one is in the same category as House and Flyer. They are capable of causing much havoc. He has done nothing to get banned, so we may just have to put up with him to some extent. However, we can ignore him and inform others who may not know what he is.

I didn't name him in my original post, but if you are reading this and don't know to whom I refer, it is BanProCycling.

He was actually banned once, as Arbiter, and he came back a week later.

How do you put someone on ignore?

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:

Click "User CP,"(which is on the bar for the top box on any part of the forum) then on the right hand side you will see links. One is "Edit ignore list." Click it and then there is a box to type in a name for the person you want to ignore.(titled "Add a member to your list") Just type BanProCycling (or any other user you want to ignore) in (a list will appear once you get a few letters in) choose the name and then click "Okay."

Then you no longer see their posts.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:

go in to you account> User CP> Edit Ignore List

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Click "User CP,"(which is on the bar for the top box on any part of the forum) then on the right hand side you will see links. One is "Edit ignore list." Click it and then there is a box to type in a name for the person you want to ignore.(titled "Add a member to your list") Just type BanProCycling (or any other user you want to ignore) in (a list will appear once you get a few letters in) choose the name and then click "Okay."

I figured it out. This is awesome. Instead of a bunch of useless babble I now see

"This message is hidden because BanProCycling is on your ignore list."

If anyone else wants to do the same you can click here

A

Anonymous

ok, so the clinic was created to stop the doping trolls, now the doping trolls have their own troll. :eek:

OMG, the clinic needs a, well what... a troll hole.. :D

joking aside.. whos the troll.. ?

A

Anonymous

You also have to understand that once he begins to be ignored, he will try to post things that get him attention again. You will see his posts quoted in the posts of others, and it may be tempting to reply. Don't do it. It will kill him if he has no attention paid to him.

A

Anonymous

dimspace said:
ok, so the clinic was created to stop the doping trolls, now the doping trolls have their own troll. :eek:

OMG, the clinic needs a, well what... a troll hole.. :D

joking aside.. whos the troll.. ?

...one could claim poetic justice, couldn't they?

BanProCycling is the troll.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Thanks. Worked for me.

A

Anonymous

Also note that "WonderLance" is either one of his sock puppets or another troll just like him. He just showed up yesterday, and I have already ignored him. I do see however that he just posted on a thread. Again, he will do anything to get the attention back on him and to disrupt the threads. If it sounds like a troll, it probably is.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Typical, encouraging censorship. Only wanting to see information that you already agree with, you would be welcome in politics.
Anyone who disagrees with you is labelled as a troll and then you censor him or her. It’s all a bit 1984 for me.

A

Anonymous

^^See, he/she/it is already getting desperate. I don't know what is posted, but just ignore it like you would a post by BPC.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Also note that "WonderLance" is either one of his sock puppets or another troll just like him. He just showed up yesterday, and I have already ignored him. I do see however that he just posted on a thread. Again, he will do anything to get the attention back on him and to disrupt the threads. If it sounds like a troll, it probably is.

Check. Another one down. Keep the list coming. I'm getting the hang of the ignore button.

A

Anonymous

I hope that it does not seem that I am trying to be some kind of king of the forum or anything. Being a Lance fan does not automatically a troll. This has nothing to do with opinion. Trolling is meant for attention and disruption, and is never really about real discussion. That is what is going on here. There are several Lance fans here (mambo#5 comes to mind) who are good members. He has opinions that differ greatly from mine, but he also has a pretty good sense of humor. This actually isn't about Lance. It is about extreme disruption of threads.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
I hope that it does not seem that I am trying to be some kind of king of the forum or anything. Being a Lance fan does not automatically a troll. This has nothing to do with opinion. Trolling is meant for attention and disruption, and is never really about real discussion. That is what is going on here. There are several Lance fans here (mambo#5 comes to mind) who are good members. He has opinions that differ greatly from mine, but he also has a pretty good sense of humor. This actually isn't about Lance. It is about extreme disruption of threads.

WonderLance + Trolling = Ignore Button

A

Anonymous

He has already posted 3 times on this thread. I think it is getting under his skin. Pretty soon, without attention, he will leave.

A

Anonymous

I can just imagine BPC kicking and screaming in his basement.:D

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
The funny thing is I have been begging him for days to ignore me, or at least stay on topic. But he couldn't. I even showed him how to use the ignore feature, so the premise of this thread is baloney. I have repeatedly asked him to stop ruining the threads.

He's even sent me another friend request!

How this guy doesn't get banned is astonishing to me. I'm not going to lump everyone else in with this bully. I just hope he stays away from me as I have been asking him to.

I got one of those when I started posting. Trying to make friends with someone and then attacking them is a bit schizophrenic and doesn’t make much sense to me.

While I admire your turn the other cheek attitude towards TFF part of me thinks that people like him, who bully other forum users, need to be brought down a peg or two.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread TFF. I actually had him on ignore, but when people replied to his posts it didn't really work.

The Clinic was kind of a safe haven during the TdF, and we had a lot of really good threads without too much crap. Hopefully we can make it that way again. Too many good threads have been derailed to the point of being almost unreadable.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I've had BPC on ignore for a while. I have enjoyed it, but I must admit I have also enjoyed "watching" other people pulling their hair out in frustration with his continual non-answers and baseless arguments. Its kinda fun to view from a distance. In some ways I would like to keep him, kind of like a CN Pet Troll.

A

Anonymous

elapid said:
I've had BPC on ignore for a while. I have enjoyed it, but I must admit I have also enjoyed "watching" other people pulling their hair out in frustration with his continual non-answers and baseless arguments. Its kinda fun to view from a distance. In some ways I would like to keep him, kind of like a CN Pet Troll.

Yeah, but who's gonna clean up after him?

Cobber said:
Thanks for starting this thread TFF. I actually had him on ignore, but when people replied to his posts it didn't really work.

The Clinic was kind of a safe haven during the TdF, and we had a lot of really good threads without too much crap. Hopefully we can make it that way again. Too many good threads have been derailed to the point of being almost unreadable.

Confirmation of success then. I apologize for my part in feeding the troll. I will attempt to control myself in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS