• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TT Frames

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick question. Why do some modern TT frames have rear facing drop outs, a bit like a track frame. And why do some not have a gear hanger? Is there some sort of adaptor you can get for fitting the rear mech?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Canyon TT bike and their reason for them;

"All frames are fitted with horizontal drop outs and allow any wheel or tire to be perfectly positioned in the seattube cut-out, thereby minimising the clearance between tyre and frame. Because the smaller the clearance, the lower the air turbulence. In addition, the clearance between tire and frame which is required by the UCI (the thickness of a credit card) can be adjusted without any tools using knurled bolts."

any good:)

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
were you thinking off converting a track frame to a geared bike?

I have often wondered that too and imagine it would be possible.

Wouldn't the rear spacing on a track bike be too narrow to take a wheel with a cassette?

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
That's right, the wheel spacing wouldn't be right.

No, someone has bought a TT frame on another forum and was asking questions, and also, I went to watch the Paris/Nice TT a few weeks back and noticed alot of the TT bikes had track style drop outs and wondered why. I asked a HTC mechanic who was preparing bikes and his answer sounded like bullsh t so I wanted to get to the bottom of it.

TRENDING THREADS