• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tubeless Nightmare

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

MWC said:
Bustedknuckle said:
MWC said:
Bustedknuckle said:
42x16ss said:
Yet another reason to ride tubular :D

RIGHT on and winkybiker above you..clinchers are for nancys.

Tubulars on everyday road bikes are for nostalgic geezers that wish it was still 1986. ;)

Nope, you probably think tubeless with tape/goop/valves are actually easier than tubulari. ;) ;)

I set up tubeless, but the extra hassle has saved my a$$ on more than one occasion in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

How so? I've never been stranded on tyres with tubes. I just put a new tube in. The couple of major cuts and slashes I've had over the last 10 years would absolutely not have been sealed by any sort of sealant, and anyone riding behind me would have been sprayed with white goop. A $5 note as a boot, a new tube and I was good to go. I continue to remain unaware of any real reason why I would ride road tubeless.

(I also read last week of the existence of "stanimals" which apparently are lumps of hardened sealant that rattle around inside tubeless tyres. Who needs this?)

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
There's a thread on the Paceline forum about this tape and a couple of fails. Even a tech guy from the company is not sure why. I also had a major fail with the new Vittoria tubie glue(superglue?) that didn't work at all.

I use either Panaracer, Weldwood or Challenge...easy, fast. Ride on tubies every ride, get few, almost no, flats. I use OrangeSeal in them...Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm.....ymmv

Yeah, nothing is fool proof. You can screw up Carogna tape just like anything else. I have 3 sets of tubulars with this tape, 2 cx (both of which I'm currently racing on) and 1 road, no fails.

Daily 25 Vitt tubulars, man I miss those days! I think people don't realize where you live Bustedknuckle, your worst stretch of road is still better than what most people have access to. Even the dirt roads around your town are smoother than the pavement I deal with on the daily. How does the saying go?... 'People from _______ live in a bubble'. I'm moving back to your area in about three months, and that is an exciting prospect to be able to ride my road bikes more often with tubulars and not have to worry about shredding them to bits. ;)

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

winkybiker said:
MWC said:
I set up tubeless, but the extra hassle has saved my a$$ on more than one occasion in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

How so? I've never been stranded on tyres with tubes. I just put a new tube in. The couple of major cuts and slashes I've had over the last 10 years would absolutely not have been sealed by any sort of sealant, and anyone riding behind me would have been sprayed with white goop. A $5 note as a boot, a new tube and I was good to go. I continue to remain unaware of any real reason why I would ride road tubeless.

(I also read last week of the existence of "stanimals" which apparently are lumps of hardened sealant that rattle around inside tubeless tyres. Who needs this?)

I live in the Goathead thorn belt of the US. They can ruin a ride in a hurry, paved or dirt. I've had quadruple flats running normal clinchers with tubes, both wheels, the spare, and running out of patches because too many holes. 2 hour drive from civilization and the girlfriend packed a lunch to come scoop me up out of a river valley. Same trail, run on tubeless I had about a dozen goatheads in each tire, made it home with not even a leak. Another one regarding pinch flats; coming off a mountain on a rocky dirt road descent I'm on tubeless and my friend on tubed clinchers pinch flats all of his tubes and spares and my spare for my tubeless set up. He had 4 flats in about 3 miles. We hit so many rocks at speed, I was rimming out on some just like how buddy pinch flatted into oblivion. No flats for me. Friend rides tubeless all the time now since that incident. "Stanimals" Just means the sealant was doing it's job, so you wash the old out and put in new. As a result I almost never flat tubeless. Twice in six years, and that was before all the great road & cx tubeless options available now.

MWC said:
winkybiker said:
MWC said:

I live in the Goathead thorn belt of the US. They can ruin a ride in a hurry, paved or dirt. I've had quadruple flats running normal clinchers with tubes, both wheels, the spare, and running out of patches because too many holes. 2 hour drive from civilization and the girlfriend packed a lunch to come scoop me up out of a river valley. Same trail, run on tubeless I had about a dozen goatheads in each tire, made it home with not even a leak. Another one regarding pinch flats; coming off a mountain on a rocky dirt road descent I'm on tubeless and my friend on tubed clinchers pinch flats all of his tubes and spares and my spare for my tubeless set up. He had 4 flats in about 3 miles. We hit so many rocks at speed, I was rimming out on some just like how buddy pinch flatted into oblivion. No flats for me. Friend rides tubeless all the time now since that incident. "Stanimals" Just means the sealant was doing it's job, so you wash the old out and put in new. As a result I almost never flat tubeless. Twice in six years, and that was before all the great road & cx tubeless options available now.

Wow. I haven't pinch-flatted for perhaps 20 years; although, honestly I don't recall ever pinch-flatting. At least not since I bought my first track pump and could get decent (and known) tyre pressures. I've ridden mountain bikes, loaded tourers and road bikes on all manner of surfaces. Thankfully, it just doesn't seem to be an issue for me. But the thorn thing.....OK that's something relevant to you, but again, thankfully, not to me. Never seen it anywhere I've ridden.

I'll re-iterate that I see zero advantage in mucking around with goop, hard to fit and seat tyres, and the risk of being sprayed with white goo when I do flat. With tubeless I'd still have to carry spare tubes and a pump (but not CO2, obviously!).This complete and utter lack of tubeless advantage is perhaps only true for my purposes and experience. YMMV.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Indeed. This time of year in this region of the US where some of the best riding goes down, it's riddled with goatheads. Some patches are so overgrown it looks like snow. Then the Fall winds kick up and blow them everywhere. Tubeless is the answer for some, not everyone. Just like every other 'thingy' out there. We're being inundated with a lot of tech the last few years, some of it legit, some not. It's up to you whether that 'thingy' benefits you or not. No doubt tubeless is legit and many benefit from it.

I was just reading on another forum about the need to periodically check that the sealant hasn't dried out and become ineffective. Another piece of faffing I can do without. Seems much easier to just change the tube on the rare occasions that I do flat.

I don't want to come off as just really negative about road tubeless, but I'm just really negative about road tubeless.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
winkybiker said:
...I don't want to come off as just really negative about road tubeless, but I'm just really negative about road tubeless.

Totally understand. Bicycle internet forums are a popular place for people to complain about things they have no experience with, or even a use for. ;)

MWC said:
Bustedknuckle said:
There's a thread on the Paceline forum about this tape and a couple of fails. Even a tech guy from the company is not sure why. I also had a major fail with the new Vittoria tubie glue(superglue?) that didn't work at all.

I use either Panaracer, Weldwood or Challenge...easy, fast. Ride on tubies every ride, get few, almost no, flats. I use OrangeSeal in them...Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm.....ymmv

Yeah, nothing is fool proof. You can screw up Carogna tape just like anything else. I have 3 sets of tubulars with this tape, 2 cx (both of which I'm currently racing on) and 1 road, no fails.

Daily 25 Vitt tubulars, man I miss those days! I think people don't realize where you live Bustedknuckle, your worst stretch of road is still better than what most people have access to. Even the dirt roads around your town are smoother than the pavement I deal with on the daily. How does the saying go?... 'People from _______ live in a bubble'. I'm moving back to your area in about three months, and that is an exciting prospect to be able to ride my road bikes more often with tubulars and not have to worry about shredding them to bits. ;)

Yup, the people's republic is in a bubble....

Re:

MWC said:
winkybiker said:
...I don't want to come off as just really negative about road tubeless, but I'm just really negative about road tubeless.

Totally understand. Bicycle internet forums are a popular place for people to complain about things they have no experience with, or even a use for. ;)

I'd be inclined to gain experience in road tubeless if someone could give me a valid reason (apart from the self-sealing of minor punctures) why I'd want to.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

winkybiker said:
MWC said:
winkybiker said:

I'd be inclined to gain experience in road tubeless if someone could give me a valid reason (apart from the self-sealing of minor punctures) why I'd want to.

That's reason enough for me. Why are you looking for a valid reason when you made it pretty clear you can't benefit from it, or grasp the procedural "faffing I can do without" aspect of it?

MWC said:
winkybiker said:
MWC said:
winkybiker said:

That's reason enough for me. Why are you looking for a valid reason when you made it pretty clear you can't benefit from it, or grasp the procedural "faffing I can do without" aspect of it?

But not for me. Punctures are so rare for me anyway that this potential upside is trivial to me (who is now almost certain to get a flat on the way home tonight).

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

winkybiker said:
MWC said:
winkybiker said:
MWC said:
winkybiker said:

But not for me. Punctures are so rare for me anyway that this potential upside is trivial to me (who is now almost certain to get a flat on the way home tonight).

I think you need a hug. :rolleyes:

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
For the last three years I have been riding a lot of kilometers with a tubeless wheel set. Schwalbe One tubeless on Stan's Alpha 340 rims. And never had a problem in 20.000km, with tyre change after approximately 5.000km